Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathway Invests $1B In Apple

FirstArmada

Source : http://www.wsj.com/articles/buffetts-berkshire-takes-1-billion-position-in-apple-1463400389

Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway Inc. took a new $1 billion position in Apple Inc. in the first quarter, a move that comes as the technology giant’s shares have been battered amid a slowdown in iPhone sales.

The legendary investor’s firm reported owning 9.81 million shares of Apple as of March 31, valued at roughly $1.07 billion. But the value of that investment dropped significantly after Apple reported its first quarterly revenue decline since 2003 last month.

Mr. Buffett, who for years avoided technology stocks, previously professed to not understand the sector and had argued that it is difficult to defend its competitive advantages. Mr. Buffett’s record has been built on investments in insurers, financial companies and industrial businesses, including household names like Coca-Cola Co. and American Express Co.

Note that it was not Warren himself to choose the investment but by one of Berkshire’s two investment managers, Todd Combs and Ted Weschler.

Warren also increased his share in IBM to 12.3 Billion

As for IBM, Berkshire bought 198,853 shares in the first quarter, bringing the total value of its position to $12.3 billion. IBM is one of Berkshire’s biggest four investments, along with Kraft Heinz Co., Wells Fargo & Co. andCoca-Cola Co. Those three positions were unchanged in the first quarter.

Apples stock is up 3.82% as of May 16, 2:16 PM EST

IMB stock is up 1.41% as of May 16, 2:19 PM EST

One of the few billionaires I love. A brilliant mind and a humble person.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

2 minutes ago, eLucid said:

One of the few billionaires I love. A brilliant mind and a humble person.

The investment in was selected by one of Warren Buffett‘s stockpicking lieutenants, not by the “Oracle of Omaha” himself.

1 billion USD in Apple and 12.3 billion USD in IBM..

That is (probably?) more money than everyone in this thread will ever see. (inb4 hyper inflation and everyone and their dog has 13.3 billion USD)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

12 minutes ago, FirstArmada said:

The investment in was selected by one of Warren Buffett‘s stockpicking lieutenants, not by the “Oracle of Omaha” himself.

That doesn't change anything.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

26 minutes ago, eLucid said:

That doesn't change anything.

He has specifically ruled out investing in Apple before , i doubt he would now.

Honestly I've been thinking apple may begin to fall. They've been making decisions that seem... odd. First its odd decisions, then bad decisions, then terrible decisions. Same pattern for every giant's fall.

Then again I only listen to apple news through here, and most of y'all don't like apple.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

17 minutes ago, Admiral Naismith said:

Honestly I've been thinking apple may begin to fall. They've been making decisions that seem... odd. First its odd decisions, then bad decisions, then terrible decisions. Same pattern for every giant's fall.

Then again I only listen to apple news through here, and most of y'all don't like apple.

I don't see them fading anytime soon. Late last year, they had over 95% of profits in the mobile industry. That's just not going to disappear overnight.