Microcenter repair or technical service

Seireitou

Hello, so a few of you know about my problems with my system, a lightning strike shut it down without a surge protector and now something is broken. I'm curious, will microcenter allow me to test my cpu in another system if I pay them? That way I don't have to drive 40 min there, buy a mobo, test it drive back if it's still messed up. Do they allow this?

14 minutes ago, Seireitou said:

Hello, so a few of you know about my problems with my system, a lightning strike shut it down without a surge protector and now something is broken. I'm curious, will microcenter allow me to test my cpu in another system if I pay them? That way I don't have to drive 40 min there, buy a mobo, test it drive back if it's still messed up. Do they allow this?

Why don't you call Microcenter and as them? o.0

3 hours ago, Seireitou said:

I'd test the power supply before moving on to the motherboard or CPU.  To be honest, the CPU is probably fine.  Start with the PSU first.  It's usually the first casualty in cases like yours.

23 minutes ago, positivePXL said:

Why don't you call Microcenter and as them? o.0

They're closed atm....

10 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I'd test the power supply before moving on to the motherboard or CPU.  To be honest, the CPU is probably fine.  Start with the PSU first.  It's usually the first casualty in cases like yours.

I've already replaced the psu, it still won't post. I'm building it out of the case. It powers on for a few moments gives me post codes and then shuts down. I've tried reading them but I'm new and there isn't much on them online. The manual and online asrock support didn't help much either. You're right it's probably mobo before it's the cpu. I just don't wanna buy another mobo and it still doesn't work. Also because I'm building it out of the case, is it possible that it's shorting it out or no because it does turn on for a little bit then turn off. 

3 hours ago, Seireitou said:

They're closed atm....

I've already replaced the psu, it still won't post. I'm building it out of the case. It powers on for a few moments gives me post codes and then shuts down. I've tried reading them but I'm new and there isn't much on them online. The manual and online asrock support didn't help much either. You're right it's probably mobo before it's the cpu. I just don't wanna buy another mobo and it still doesn't work. Also because I'm building it out of the case, is it possible that it's shorting it out or no because it does turn on for a little bit then turn off. 

Did you test it with only one stick of RAM?  If so, try again with a different stick, but only use one at a time.

31 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Did you test it with only one s1tick of RAM?  If so, try again with a different stick, but only use one at a time.

I've tried both. They could have went out but I dont have any extra to try.

4 hours ago, Seireitou said:

They're closed atm....

No one can give you a proper answer, honestly.

Micro Center will most likely test your computer and diagnose the issue, if you pay them. However, I don't know if they'll let you "test" your own CPU yourself. You will likely need to give all the parts to them for diagnostics and troubleshooting. Also, it may not be cheap.

I do not know if they charge a restocking fee. If not, they might allow you to buy a new motherboard, and then allow you to plug all the parts in and power it on.

In any case, the best course of action is to call them, and discuss the potential possibilities.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

9 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

No one can give you a proper answer, honestly.

Micro Center will most likely test your computer and diagnose the issue, if you pay them. However, I don't know if they'll let you "test" your own CPU yourself. You will likely need to give all the parts to them for diagnostics and troubleshooting. Also, it may not be cheap.

I do not know if they charge a restocking fee. If not, they might allow you to buy a new motherboard, and then allow you to plug all the parts in and power it on.

In any case, the best course of action is to call them, and discuss the potential possibilities.

I've actually taken care of it. It's 40 bucks for them to troubleshoot and diagnose the problem. It takes up to three days but afterwards I should known what part is fried, they'll tell me and then I just gotta replace it. It's been pretty shitty but you live you learn and sometimes you gotta pay the cost. I do have one question. I'm pretty sure Intel WON'T cover my cpu but if I lied and just told them it died, would they know? Anyway I can get them to replace it? Anybody else have any experienced with this?

Thank you guys, this help really means a lot. I'm a first timer and I need it.