Thumbdrives in RAID?

• Which software can allow me to configure storage drives into RAID? (I need 0, 1 and 10)
  • And is it possible and/or safe to configure thumbdrives in RAIDs?

• Which USB version should my thumbdrives use? USB 3.0? Or USB 3.1 Type C?

Thanks for reading and/or replying.

-SerialAceTU1

21 minutes ago, SerialAceTU1 said:
  • Which software can allow me to configure storage drives into RAID? (I need 0, 1 and 10)
  • And is it possible and/or safe to configure thumbdrives in RAIDs?

• Which USB version should my thumbdrives use? USB 3.0? Or USB 3.1 Type C?

let me answer your question with another question

TnQRX6v.gif

to answer your question:

Spoiler

1) dont know, never bothered to know since i never thought of doing it. maybe windows can do it in the disk management thingy

2) it is possible, it is as safe as any RAID configs `-`

3) any version, as long as they're connected i suppose

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

let me answer your question with another question

TnQRX6v.gif

answers to your question:

Reveal hidden contents

1) dont know, never bothered to know since i never thought of doing it. maybe windows can do it in the disk management thingy

2) it is possible, it is as safe as any RAID configs `-`

3) any version, as long as they're connected i suppose

Mj2iT9d.gif

You can

but not advisable really, unless you have a particularly niche and valid reason for needing it

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

15 hours ago, Technous285 said:

The 8-Bit Guy did a vid about using a bunch of thumb drives as a RAID array about a year ago.

He's using Mac -.-

22 minutes ago, SerialAceTU1 said:

He's using Mac -.-

Use the windows drive raid in computer management or md in linux.

those thumbdrives like the Kingston Hyper drives are in fact running some form of hardware/firmware based RAID to get those speeds you see on a thumbdrive. It all in the memory controller inside.

yes it possible to run RAID on a bunch of thumbdrives but they all have to be of the same brand and model to get any benefit.

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

9 hours ago, dragoon20005 said:

those thumbdrives like the Kingston Hyper drives are in fact running some form of hardware/firmware based RAID to get those speeds you see on a thumbdrive. It all in the memory controller inside.

yes it possible to run RAID on a bunch of thumbdrives but they all have to be of the same brand and model to get any benefit.

what about capacity?

also must be the same?

18 minutes ago, SerialAceTU1 said:

what about capacity?

also must be the same?

yes

all the drive have to be the same capacity

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

From My own personal experience with this, Windows wouldn't let me do it. Although technically it would have maybe if I had gone into the actual code on the flash drives and flipped a bit that says they are removable devices. I ended up giving up and making a volume on OS X just as a frustrated proof of concept. I would recommend finding a way to do it in a linux virtual machine and just maybe you could find a way to let the host OS get to the volume somehow with some tinkering.