PWM Fan Splitter cable for my Cooler Master Hyper 212X dual

RRGT19
Go to solution Solved by Nacho Marco Segui,

Both will work, it is just 4 wires, there is no better cable. But, I thought that the 212x came with the splitter

Hi,

I want to buy this: Cooler Master Hyper 212X – CPU Cooler with dual 120mm PWM Fan

13C-000X-00037-10.jpg

but, my Mini ITX motherboard (Asus Z170i Pro Gaming) only has 1 CPU HEADER. There is two more headers but I'm using these for my Front and Rear fan.

So, I need a PWM Fan Splitter cable to connect the two fans into CPU HEADER, so, both fans can change the speed together.

I have found these on Amazon, but I don't know which is the best:

1. SilverStone Technology All Black Sleeved 1-to-2 Sleeved PWM Fan Splitter Cable (CPF01)  $4.39
    31CHO8viz1L.jpg

2. Noctua NA-SYC1 Accessory 4-pin Y-Cables for PWM Fans  $9.95
    41pGeaxO1JL.jpg

Which is the best here, or do you know any other better Fan Splitter?.

Both will work, it is just 4 wires, there is no better cable. But, I thought that the 212x came with the splitter

they are all the same

fan splitter is literally a piece of wire - what do you expect from it?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

1) if a cooler comes with two fans, it should come with a splitter in the box

2) the hyper 212X turbo is just 212x with an extra fan, not much performance gain from the extra fan so its just better to get the single fan version and save some cash

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 hours ago, Nacho Marco Segui said:

I don't know really, I will research about it. Thanks!

Just now, Moonzy said:

2) the hyper 212X turbo is just 212x with an extra fan, not much performance gain from the extra fan so its just better to get the single fan version and save some cash

sometimes the turbo isn't that expensive :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13C-000X-00037

only 5$ more for the second fan :)

3 hours ago, Moonzy said:

1. Cool, Thanks.

2.I have here 2x Corsair SP120 PWM and I want to use them. That is why, even if I will just get 2-5 C less. I don't want to waste a single fan in my closet, besides, the dual version of the 212x only cost $5 more.

3 minutes ago, DXMember said:

they are all the same

fan splitter is literally a piece of wire - what do you expect from it?

Unless it also has a resistor for low noise or something, yes.

Sig under construction.

1 minute ago, Tedster said:

but then it's not a splitter anymore, is it?

it would be a low noise adapter

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

but then it's not a splitter anymore, is it?

it would be a low noise adapter

But why not both in the same wire?

Sig under construction.

14 minutes ago, Tedster said:

No. Never put a resistor in a PWM DC-motor system. It'll mess it up. Look into how PWM works and what resistors do to reduce speed.

1 hour ago, Naeaes said:

No. Never put a resistor in a PWM DC-motor system. It'll mess it up. Look into how PWM works and what resistors do to reduce speed.

But why do companies like Noctua include low noise adapters that reduce the amount of power available to the fan?

Sig under construction.

9 minutes ago, Tedster said:

But why do companies like Noctua include low noise adapters that reduce the amount of power available to the fan?

I knew you'd bring Noctua up. :D They actually have the benefit of producing their own PWM IC and the PWM-compatible L.N.A  (which I'm not 100% sure to be a resistor instead of a diode) But yeah, so long as the resistor is in between the splitter and the load, instead of in between the splitter and the power source, there's no harm in trying. The other way around it's a fire hazard. The problem I meant was if you lower the voltage with a resistor, the fan might never get to the target speed which can make the PWM controller go haywire. It causes random issues like fans spinning at max all the time or oscillating back and forth. 

Also, not all systems have PWM or the ability to voltage-control. A lot of prebuilts don't. A HW solution is the only way in those cases.