Need someone to check if my plan will work

I have devised a completely insane idea that might just work but I need someone to make sure it will.

My idea is to have a eGPU (external graphics card) to work with a laptop via usb 3.0.

This is how it will go:

I will have the graphics card (undecided) connected to http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/PE4C%20V3.0.html#Web-Shop a GPU adapter which output will be via mini PCIe but then I will have this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-PCI-E-mSATA-to-USB-3-0-External-SSD-PCBA-Conveter-Adapter-Card-/400988755517 a mini pcie to usb adapter which will run into my laptop.

Do you think it will work and if so how much performance decrease should I expect because of the usb?

3 minutes ago, Hamish.R said:

I have devised a completely insane idea that might just work but I need someone to make sure it will.

My idea is to have a eGPU (external graphics card) to work with a laptop via usb 3.0.

This is how it will go:

I will have the graphics card (undecided) connected to http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/PE4C%20V3.0.html#Web-Shop a GPU adapter which output will be via mini PCIe but then I will have this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-PCI-E-mSATA-to-USB-3-0-External-SSD-PCBA-Conveter-Adapter-Card-/400988755517 a mini pcie to usb adapter which will run into my laptop.

Do you think it will work and if so how much performance decrease should I expect because of the usb?

It's going to lose a lot of performance. It's not worth it using anything more than one of those cheap Nvidia GT series cards. You will still probably see a big performance improvement depending on the laptop (if it has a dedicated GPU already then probably not much, but if it's running an iGPU or it's a lower end laptop then there will be a HUGE increase).

1 minute ago, KingKeith55 said:

It's going to lose a lot of performance. It's not worth it using anything more than one of those cheap Nvidia GT series cards. You will still probably see a big performance improvement depending on the laptop (if it has a dedicated GPU already then probably not much, but if it's running an iGPU or it's a lower end laptop then there will be a HUGE increase).

I know, my laptop cant run overwatch as it is so any increase is a good one.

So does your answer mean it will work?

probably wont work `-`

if i understood correctly,

USB 3.0 -> mPCIe -> full size pcie

the bandwidth just isnt enough to run games

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

probably wont work `-`

I could go usb3.0 -> full size pcie

Just now, Hamish.R said:

I could go usb3.0 -> full size pcie

the problem lies with the USB 3.0 not having enough bandwidth to begin with

5 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

probably wont work `-`

If it's a low end or older laptop then it should be able to play stuff like league of legos and maybe CS:GO at low settings and resolution. I don't know about overwatch as I don't own it, but if it's like any of the source games then maybe it should be.

Just now, Moonzy said:

the problem lies with the USB 3.0 not having enough bandwidth to begin with

But I believed  that some people have already done it and just experienced bottlenecking and nothing much else 

2 minutes ago, KingKeith55 said:

If it's a low end or older laptop then it should be able to play stuff like league of legos and maybe CS:GO at low settings and resolution. I don't know about overwatch as I don't own it, but if it's like any of the source games then maybe it should be.

I can run csgo and league on high already...

1 minute ago, KingKeith55 said:

well... i dont know to be honest

but usb 3.0 doesnt have anything close to thunderbolt 3's bandwidth so there's that

and even thunderbolt 3 is only about pcie 3.0 4x connection iirc

1 minute ago, Hamish.R said:

But I believed  that some people have already done it and just experienced bottlenecking and nothing much else 

how well can they game with such setup? o.O

and what game titles

3 minutes ago, Hamish.R said:

Ican run csgo and league on high already...

then you're out of luck mate.

My only suggestion was to give it a shot and pick up a cheap GPU like a GT 710 as it would probably be pointless to get anything better to use with it. It would still bottleneck the GT 710 slightly as USB 3.1 is only 10Gbps bandwidth, where as the GT 710 is around 14.4Gbps. As it is the GT 710 is like $50USD on amazon so if you're willing to sacrifice that much then I guess it's not a bad idea.

Well USB3.0 has a max theoretical bandwidth of 640MB/s

A PCI_ex16 3.0 slot has a max theoretical bandwidth of 16,384MB/s

Now videocards don't require THAT much bandwidth and have heard of cards performing just fine on PCI_ex8 2.0 (5,120 MB/s)

Some cards even not bottlenecking on PCI_ex4 2.0 (2560 MB/s)

Now remember I said SOME cards...you're contemplating giving a video card 1/4th that max theoretical bandwidth which isn't even the real bandwidth you'd have, it's actually be a bit less.

If it doesn't cost you much I'd go for it for the sake of adventure. Just heck yeah, lets do it let's see what happens. Just don't get your hopes up that's all.

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

well... i dont know to be honest

but usb 3.0 doesnt have anything close to thunderbolt 3's bandwidth so there's that

and even thunderbolt 3 is only about pcie 3.0 4x connection iirc

how well can they game with such setup? o.O

and what game titles

pcie 3.0 4x, is fine for a eGPU, According to AMD, you can run crossfire just fine on pcie 2.0 8x per card, which is the exact same and pcie 3.0 4x, but your still talking close to 8 times usb 3's bandwidth for thunderbolt 3, so I honestly don't see the point of doing an eGPU over usb 3.

not only bandwidth issue

how would your machine recognize it as an external gpu? o.O i dont think it's as simple as plug and play

Just now, Moonzy said:

not only bandwidth issue

how would your machine recognize it as an external gpu? o.O i dont think it's as simple as plug and play

I would probably have to install some drivers

1 minute ago, Hamish.R said:

I would probably have to install some drivers

Do some searching to make sure they exist before you go and blow money on it for nothing.