The Importance of Properly Screwing in Hard Drives

Go to solution Solved by W-L,
3 minutes ago, unlableable said:

-SNIP-

Welcome to the Forums!

If your talking about this kit here it should bolt into place without any issue but the main reason you want to have it securely mounted is so it doesn't move during operation or get bumped around inside the case.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817997013

Hi, new here to the LTT forums.
This may seem like a silly question, perhaps even a pointless one, but given how little information I've found on it, maybe it is something to be questioned after all?
So I've got a new rig, a couple of 2.5" hard drives from some laptops, and a 2.5" drive mounting kit by Rosewill.
The mounting kit is a bit odd in that the screws for the bottom drive don't seem to actually reach inside the drive at all.
On top of this, the screw holes that match up with the ones on my case are the ones for holding the drive, not the ones intended for the mounting kit itself.
I managed to get the two drives and mounting kit into the case but, it seemed really janky.
The bottom drive seems to be almost held in place by... nothing?
Its just sitting there, but not really secured to anything.
Maybe this isn't a big deal.
But it made me think, just how important is screwing in drives in the first place?
I understand that the movement of the arm inside the drive as it reads the platters is, well, movement.
But is that movement, small as it is, enough to significantly damage the drive if the drive is suspended or free, instead of properly held down?
What do you guys think? Should I try getting a new mounting kit, should I abandon the idea of using these 2.5s in this rig, or perhaps, should I not even care?
Do screws matter? Do they, really?

3 minutes ago, unlableable said:

-SNIP-

Welcome to the Forums!

If your talking about this kit here it should bolt into place without any issue but the main reason you want to have it securely mounted is so it doesn't move during operation or get bumped around inside the case.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817997013

Spoiler

amybe u should use a raspberry pi instead for now....

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

My real question though is just how important screwing in drives is at all?
Can the tiny rapid movements of the arm reading the spinning platters add up to enough to cause significant damage?

18 minutes ago, unlableable said:

My real question though is just how important screwing in drives is at all?
Can the tiny rapid movements of the arm reading the spinning platters add up to enough to cause significant damage?

As long as the drive isn't just sitting there and can freely move it's not a problem, main issue with that being when you move the system the drive can go moving about.