Hello again LTT community! I have yet another question for you!

In a previous post, I (with the help of 2 others) diagnosed that my front panel audio connecter on my motherboard is shot.

So as a result of that, I started looking for a sound card with a front panel port on it. I have found 2 (plus or minus a soundblaster) candidates.

My two picks were the Asus Xonar DG Surround 5.1 or the Asus Xonar DGX Surround 5.1

The only difference is that one uses the older PCI whereas the other one uses PCIe 1x

I just want to know which would be better. I'm not gonna use it for a lot of microphone recording (if I were to, the onboard VIA chipset works fine) but instead, I'd mainly use it for purely audio. Specifically games such as Black Ops 3, CS:GO, or Fallout 4. 

My motherboard is a bit cramped because it's a micro-atx board, and it has one of each connector open (one PCI slot and one PCIe x1 slot)

So let me know which to get! If you see it adequate for my uses, I'd rather save the $5 and go for the PCI one.

Any help appreciated. 

-- EDIT --

I forgot the links.

DG

DGX

audio should perform about the same either way

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

That depends what other things you want to do with your PCI lanes. I have a xonar D2X and it'd keep me from doing SLI, since my CPU only provides 16 lanes and SLI does only work with 8 / 8, but not 4 lanes. Int terms of audio performance, it should not matter. 

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

Uhm... Did you check the front audio panel option in the bios?  You need to select the correct type for the front panel to work. 

Asus boards default to HD audio: change it to ac97 before you throw money away. 

1 hour ago, Lehti said:

Uhm... Did you check the front audio panel option in the bios?  You need to select the correct type for the front panel to work. 

Asus boards default to HD audio: change it to ac97 before you throw money away. 

I have the HD Audio connector connected, not the AC'97

The two pinouts are compatible with each other. 

38 minutes ago, Lehti said:

The two pinouts are compatible with each other. 

Yeah, but AC'97 is a legacy thing so the quality will greatly degrade. I'd rather just buy a sound card (the DG) because it has amps and it's better than the on board audio.

On 7.5.2016 at 2:16 AM, CallMeMysterious said:

In a previous post, I (with the help of 2 others) diagnosed that my front panel audio connecter on my motherboard is shot.

So as a result of that, I started looking for a sound card with a front panel port on it. I have found 2 (plus or minus a soundblaster) candidates.

My two picks were the Asus Xonar DG Surround 5.1 or the Asus Xonar DGX Surround 5.1

The only difference is that one uses the older PCI whereas the other one uses PCIe 1x

I just want to know which would be better. I'm not gonna use it for a lot of microphone recording (if I were to, the onboard VIA chipset works fine) but instead, I'd mainly use it for purely audio. Specifically games such as Black Ops 3, CS:GO, or Fallout 4. 

My motherboard is a bit cramped because it's a micro-atx board, and it has one of each connector open (one PCI slot and one PCIe x1 slot)

So let me know which to get! If you see it adequate for my uses, I'd rather save the $5 and go for the PCI one.

Any help appreciated. 

-- EDIT --

I forgot the links.

DG

DGX

I would always take the pcie version because some motherboards don't have pci anymore, so it's just futureproof. As already said, audio stays the same.

On 5/7/2016 at 8:16 AM, CallMeMysterious said:

Any help appreciated. 

-- EDIT --

I forgot the links.

DG

DGX

Go a tiny bit more for the DSX, if you want expandability. It measures better, offers 7.1, and includes DTS Connect (for connecting to a surround receiver).

DSX