Thoughts on New Intel Flagship

Looking at the new flagship line and I was just curious to see how different the new line up is from the 5xxx lineup. It seems the 10 code 6950x is the only really new one.

is it worth upgrading from

a 5820k to any of the new processors? Looking at doing a bit of upgrading in my PC in the nearish future. 

Kill the Machine!

IPC should be better but I don't know if it will be worth it to go from high-end to high-end since the 5820k is extremely capable already. Just as I'm not upgrading my 6700k for at least 2 years probably even though it should last 4-5+.

It also depends on your workload. For editing and picture development there may be a nice performance boost, but for gaming, there shouldn't be that large of a gap to justify the price.

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

14 minutes ago, ACoffeeGuy said:

Looking at the new flagship line and I was just curious to see how different the new line up is from the 5xxx lineup. It seems the 10 code 6950x is the only really new one.

is it worth upgrading from

a 5820k to any of the new processors? Looking at doing a bit of upgrading in my PC in the nearish future. 

If you really need processing power, it might be worth going from 5820k to 6950x. But going from any higher to any of the lower ones doesn't make much sense to me.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!