Oxford study finds virtual reality can help treat severe paranoia

Original article: http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2016-05-05-oxford-study-finds-virtual-reality-can-help-treat-severe-paranoia

I am more than certain it is not the first time VR is sued in research, but definitely an interesting development.

Also, VR didn’t help Jesse Cox with his fear of sharks and the Morpheus deo he had seen couple of months ago :D

Any idea on what next could be researched using VR? I have couple already J

there is a study about fear of spiders involving virtual reality in my universtity. would be quite interesting too.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

If projecting millions of images to a person while listening to mix of techno/artificial music can make one go crazy them I'm sure headmounted display replacing the reality with something better can do some good.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

12 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

there is a study about fear of spiders involving virtual reality in my universtity. would be quite interesting too.

If the subject could feel tingling on his skin to improve immersion then I guess it could be very terrifying experience.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Just now, Thony said:

If the subject could feel tingling on his skin to improve immersion then I guess it could be very terrifying experience.

no they test how you behave when a spider is in front of you. then you do a bit of vr stuff and then they test if your behaviour is different after that. 

i want to participate but im only afraif of big spiders so they dont take me :D

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Thony said:

I've heard reports of people feeling the tingling sensation on their hands when a crawling spider was shown in VR to be climbing a set of CG hands in the demo...

Also, there is a study that shown that if positioned properly, a rubber hand can be considered by youir brain as your own hand and when the dcoy was stabbed, people reported feeling pain.

Also, in people with amputated limbs, they used mirrors to 'trick the mind' into thinking that the other hand/arm is still attached. They used it to relieve people of phantom limb pain by asking them to relax the amputated limb. Worked quite well.

Any type of phobia is treated with VR. They also think about the use of VR to help autistic children

2 hours ago, Garfieldus said:

I'm just waiting for VR dead space :S

Haven't you seen all the things PewdiePie subejcted himself to with OR DK2?

VR horros is already here... watch out, it may be behind ya!