Best, Cheapest CPU, MOBO COMBO

So my brother is another 'aspiring' youtuber and to make him happy I'd like to make a computer for him what would be a good cheap CPU + MOBO COMBO (for about $200CAD).

what is the rest of the rig like?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

looking at your options

you can look at the Q6600 + P35,P43 or P45 mobo combo with 4 to 8GB of RAM

change out the PSU to at least the EVGA 500B PSU if you want to install a GPU that need PCI-E 6 pin power

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

3 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

looking at your options

change out the PSU to at least the EVGA 500B PSU if you want to install a GPU that need PCI-E 6 pin power

I would like 8GB of RAM, 430W PSU with GTX 750Ti already

1 minute ago, Izumi Reina said:

what is the brand of the PSU?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

1 hour ago, dragoon20005 said:

what is the brand of the PSU?

raid max 20Amp on 12V rail so bare minimum for gtx 750ti

1 hour ago, Izumi Reina said:

raid max 20Amp on 12V rail so bare minimum for gtx 750ti

replace that PSU

its really a trash PSU

@Izumi Reina If your going to purchase a i3-6xxx and a H110 Chipset save a little more and just purchase a i5-6xxx and a B150 Chipset this will go along years for you.

but if you really wanna go buy it already i would rather you buy a G4400 + Z170 then upgrade it with a i5-6600k or i7-6700k. but this will be expensive :)

GAMING RIG

i5 4590 / 16GB / RX 480 8GB

10 hours ago, dragoon20005 said:

looking at your options

Whoa! You are talking about my backup to my backup system from 2008. It's 2016. I thought I was in a time warp. Of note my old Q6600 ran @ 3.6ghz but now is out to pasture running @ 3.3ghz. It has 8gb of DDR2 and a 8800GT graphics card. Again ancient stuff. 

Go with the G3258 dual core and a cheap motherboard and 8GB of ram. 

Using a Xeon e5450 or x5650 on a modded 775 motherboard is an option, especially if you have used gear in the basement. The Xeon's are cheap at about $25-$30 on ebay.

You can add SATA 3 6GB/s support via add in card for less than $10. Same for USB 3.0 at the same price. RAM for such a motherboard is less than $50. You should be able to find a used system with everything else you might want for diret cheap. The 775 motherboard you want is the P5QL Pro. It has the best overall features and supports both the 775 mod. PCIE 3.0 and 16GB ram. It is also mainstream as hell and there are a lot of them out there, used and cheap.   You can do this for LESS than $200CDN if that is your plan -- or come pretty close with some good Kijiji/Craigslist hunting.

I know. I recently did just all of this for $120 in Toronto.

The Xeon's are true hyperthreaded multicore systems, so rendering video on them is not all THAT bad, but you will want the 8GB ram.

It's not a 6600K Skylake on a Z170, but it's not a Skylake 6600k Z170 price, either. 

18 hours ago, Izumi Reina said:

Optiplex 380, change the PSU for an SFX 450W, get a Low Profile GTX 750ti 2GB (Galax has one that fits the 380 perfectly)
It supports DDR3 instead of the DDR2 of the G31 MoBos. And you get a Xeon E5450 for it and you're golden. I've just explained my "DELLienware" build in this post.

3 hours ago, Steel_Wind said:

Using a Xeon e5450 or x5650 on a modded 775 motherboard is an option, especially if you have used gear in the masement. The Xeon's are cheap at about $25-$30 on ebay.

You can add SATA 3 6GB/s support via add in card for less than $10. Same for USB 3.0 at the same price. RAM for such a motherboard is less than $50. You should be able to find a used system with everything else you might want for diret cheap. The 775 motherboard you want is the P5QL Pro. It has the best overall features and supports both the 775 mod. PCIE 3.0 and 16GB ram. It is also mainstream as hell and there are a lot of them out there, used and cheap.   You can do this for LESS than $200CDN if that is your plan -- or come pretty close with some good Kijiji/Craigslist hunting.

I know. I recently did just all of this for $120 in Toronto.

The Xeon's are true hyperthreaded multicore systems, so rendering video on them is not all THAT bad, but you will want the 8GB ram.

It's not a 6600K Skylake on a Z170, but it's not a Skylake 6600k Z170 price, either. 

The Optiplex 380 has most of these features (just USB3.0 that you'd need a expansion card for it)

Sata 3, supports 8GB for sure (Haven't tested 16GB yet, as I don't have 8GB sticks in hand), unfortunately it's PCI-e 2.0 (but for most scenarios I can think of, a PCI-e 3.0 wouldn't make such a difference)

You can get them pretty cheap on eBay fully build, you can sell the processor and RAM that you don't need, the stock PSU is enough for the default rig with 2 HDD's, a 750ti and two PCI expansion cards (I have a PCI WiFi card and used to have a PCI Gigabit port with my Oldest 330 mobo) It's a well built 280W PSU.

The downsides of using the 380 are:

BTX - You can only fit it in BTX cases, the PCI slots are very strangely placed.
Only one PCI Express slot
Only two RAM slots (At least they are Dual Channel hahaha)
Only 3 SATA ports (At least they are SATA3 hahaha)

The Upsides are:

Unique (Does that actually count?)
Cheap AF.
Decent construction of the case and components
Quite a lot of info on mods for this lil guy.

|CPU : Core i7 4770 (non-K :( ) | GPU : XFX RX 480 GTR 8GB @ 1385Mhz | MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 | PSU: XFX 850W PRO | Case: In-Progress Silverstone TJ-07 |

Zenfone 2 ZE551ml 32GB + 64GB SD - Rooted LineageOS |