M.2 Not working

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this post, but I need some help. I have an MSI z170a SLI mobo and a 250gb m.2ssd. I have plugged the ssd into the board, but it is not showing up anywhere. (Bios or anywhere is windows) What can I do to fix this. In a post I was reading earlier, someone said that the m.2 slot might need to be initialized. How would I go about doing that?

CPU: i7 6700k

MOBO: MSI z170 SLI

GPU: GTX 960 G1 Gaming

What kind of M.2 ssd?  MSI motherboard looks to only support PCIe M.2 drives and not SATA.

What model SSD is it?

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Check your manual. Often an M.2 slot will be overridden if there is a drive plugged into a specific SATA port.

Even if the SSD isn't initialized or partitioned the BIOS should still see it as a storage medium. Look into your motherboard manual. Some motherboard disable the m.2 slot if say specific SATA ports are occupied. This is the case for my MSI X99A SLI Plus board. If I occupy SATA port 5/6 then the m.2 slot will be disabled.

15 hours ago, KennyFreeman3 said:

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this post, but I need some help. I have an MSI z170a SLI mobo and a 250gb m.2ssd. I have plugged the ssd into the board, but it is not showing up anywhere. (Bios or anywhere is windows) What can I do to fix this. In a post I was reading earlier, someone said that the m.2 slot might need to be initialized. How would I go about doing that?

CPU: i7 6700k

MOBO: MSI z170 SLI

GPU: GTX 960 G1 Gaming

I'd be willing to bet a stick of gum that your M.2 SSD is a Samsung 850 Evo?

This just happened to me as well and it was simple enough to solve by looking in the motherboard manual. Essentially the Z170 chipset shares the M.2 port with the SATA ports and PCI-E lanes and depending on the motherboard it wont show up unless all the SATA ports are clear of devices or the PCI-E lane is clear that it needs the lanes from. The manual will show what is consumed and what to do (hopefully, it ought to!) and once that is done it will show up.