PC Gaming 2nd Thoughts

Asgarth

I have saved my money for about 2-3 years and am about to build my PC when the new AMD graphics cards are released (depending on performance) and I am having second thoughts on buying it. I don't know why, it could just be because it's a lot of money (I could get both 'next-gen' consoles and games with my PC budget) or it could just be everyone at school talking about GTA V. I just wanted to ask if anyone else has thought this and how to stop it, don't get my wrong I adore PC gaming but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks

CPU: 4670K / Cooler: H100i / RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengence Pro 1866MHz / Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 / GPU: MSI TF 780 Gaming Edition / Case: Corsair Vengence C70 / Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo & 2TB Seagate Barracuda / PSU: EVGA SuperNova NEX750G

The more money you saved up, the more little frivolous spending would be more tempting.

but in all honesty, if you don't let that little petty spending get in your way, you can save a lot of money to throw at your upcoming build :)

also, if you're not getting the new AMD cards, you could always get other ones at reduced price so yea haha

Check out the build: Used to be Obot, now Lilith

Shameless: Me

Trust me pc gaming is better in the long term, the next gen consoles you have to pay for multi player(40x10=400)(400+400=800) then games are half or even quarter pc prices, you have backwards compatibility as well forever. I used to like console gaming but not much anymore, i mainly go on my ps2 or play ps1 games on the ps2. You will save money in the end.

In the end its your choice and that is the most important  thing, i dont like paying for multilayer as it seems like a sort of mortgage that will haunt me and it also means if teh company shuts down then many games are gone.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I have saved my money for about 2-3 years and am about to build my PC when the new AMD graphics cards are released (depending on performance) and I am having second thoughts on buying it. I don't know why, it could just be because it's a lot of money (I could get both 'next-gen' consoles and games with my PC budget) or it could just be everyone at school talking about GTA V. I just wanted to ask if anyone else has thought this and how to stop it, don't get my wrong I adore PC gaming but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks

What would be the benefits of getting the two next-gen consoles? Poor graphics compared to PCs, expensive games, impossible to upgrade, having one of them is fine, but both .. that's just a waste of money. As someone mentionned above, the more money you have, the more tempting it is to spend it on 10 little things rather than on one big thing. It might seem a lot to put 1000$, 1500$ on a gaming PC, but it's worth every cent.

Aweosme graphics, can be used for everything else to, you can upgrade it as much as you want, it's a much better platform for gaming than consoles on about every aspect. Just wait, be patient until you saved all the money for it, and don't get tempted to buy useless stuff just because you can afford it. Hard to explain, but as soon as you'll get your PC built and running, you won't ever want to live without it, to game on something else, etc =P

I would say, dont go overkill on a pc. You dont need an i7 and 2 gtx 780's in order to play pc games.. A 7870 or 7950 is enough. Noone is forcing you to spend 1500-2000 bucks on a computer. With something like 800 bucks, you still can get a very good system, that crushes the crappy "next gen consoles" graphics.

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

The more money you saved up, the more little frivolous spending would be more tempting.

but in all honesty, if you don't let that little petty spending get in your way, you can save a lot of money to throw at your upcoming build :)

also, if you're not getting the new AMD cards, you could always get other ones at reduced price so yea haha

Cheers, nice build by the way :)

CPU: 4670K / Cooler: H100i / RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengence Pro 1866MHz / Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 / GPU: MSI TF 780 Gaming Edition / Case: Corsair Vengence C70 / Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo & 2TB Seagate Barracuda / PSU: EVGA SuperNova NEX750G

Trust me pc gaming is better in the long term, the next gen consoles you have to pay for multi player(40x10=400)(400+400=800) then games are half or even quarter pc prices, you have backwards compatibility as well forever. I used to like console gaming but not much anymore, i mainly go on my ps2 or play ps1 games on the ps2. You will save money in the end.

In the end its your choice and that is the most important  thing, i dont like paying for multilayer as it seems like a sort of mortgage that will haunt me and it also means if teh company shuts down then many games are gone.

Cheers for the reply

What would be the benefits of getting the two next-gen consoles? Poor graphics compared to PCs, expensive games, impossible to upgrade, having one of them is fine, but both .. that's just a waste of money. As someone mentionned above, the more money you have, the more tempting it is to spend it on 10 little things rather than on one big thing. It might seem a lot to put 1000$, 1500$ on a gaming PC, but it's worth every cent.

Aweosme graphics, can be used for everything else to, you can upgrade it as much as you want, it's a much better platform for gaming than consoles on about every aspect. Just wait, be patient until you saved all the money for it, and don't get tempted to buy useless stuff just because you can afford it. Hard to explain, but as soon as you'll get your PC built and running, you won't ever want to live without it, to game on something else, etc

Thank you for making me see sense!

I would say, dont go overkill on a pc. You dont need an i7 and 2 gtx 780's in order to play pc games.. A 7870 or 7950 is enough. Noone is forcing you to spend 1500-2000 bucks on a computer. With something like 800 bucks, you still can get a very good system, that crushes the crappy "next gen consoles" graphics.

i+ for this one

From what I heard R9-270/X is going to be middle to low market. You can get decent PC with that kind of GPU. also save hell lot of money from summer steam sales.

I personally won't go to console unless console have more JRPG. Seeing how PS3 is, I lose my hope, many are just remaster and nothing sensational.

Thanks

I look at It this way.

Yeah everyones talking about GTA V, big freaking deal? its one game, Oh the last of us? So what. There's some absolutely EXCELLENT titles for the PC that a console couldn't even dream of seeing.

I mean when you wanna talk exclusives? Oh PC takes the cake. Look at every MMORPG. WoW, GW2, Vindictus, TERA, (insert MMO here), PC exclusives! LoL and DoTA are both also amazingly popular PC exclusives.

So what if GTA V is big, its not even that great of a game in my opinion, its just that EVERYONE is talking about it. Yeah it might be awesome, but its one game. I personally never liked the GTA series, ive owned 2 of their games and I felt like they were a huge waste of cash and time.

PLUS think of it this way, if you have a gaming rig powerful enough, you can have ultra graphics that put even the so called "Next Gen" consoles to shame, you can run triple monitor set ups and have amazing displays, consoles can't do that.

Don't fall for sensationalization and hype, it never delivers on what people say about console games. man what was big a few months ago? Last of Us, whats big now? GTA V.

This is me right about now.

1013710_10200690263645675_881837454_n.jp

You got a PC, you have the best gaming platform on earth right now. You have incredible backwards compatability thanks to emulators and windows games, you have amazing graphics and options for periferals, you have access to hundreds of free and cheap and awesome PC exclusives. Don't let one game ruin your outlook.

The saddest thing about the consoles is that not only we're we ready and waiting for the next gen 3 or so years ago but that any $700-$800 will blow either one of them out the water.

They're literally outdated the second they're released.

In any case, fret not, PC gaming may seem like a plunge but theres nothing like plugging in your machine and listening to everything boot for the first time.

The mobo might give a beep, the GPU fans spin for the first time... Its spectacular.

Then whilst you install a clean version of windows, you stand back and say "I built this, its all mine".

And from there you can do anything you want; Gaming, editing, watching movies, browsing, pirate games, watch inordinate amounts of pron etc.

With a console its plug in and "meh."

If I was you I'd either commit entirely to the PC, or get some slightly cheaper stuff and save up for an Xbox One.

I'm the one who overclocks.

CPU: i5 2500k w/CM Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OC'd@4.2GHz RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB  MOBO: Intel Burrage DP67BG GPU: MSI GTX770 Twin Frozr 2GB HDD: 2x Seagate 2TB Barracuda PSU: Gigabyte ODIN 550W

if there was gran tourismo on pc, then i would say, pc is the only way to go
and there are more other games that just don't go on pc.

i personly will never buy a console, because my brother has one, and i barely touch,  and i used to love gran tourismo, still do.

if you feel like you want to play the console exclusive games, then buy a next gene console AFTER you have your pc,
my guess you wont even bother, because of the more easy way of gaming with pc, (mouse for shooters, mouse & keyboard for adventure games or stull like assasins creed, racing wheel (you can hook it up to a playstation, but let's face it, the desk of your pc is the most easy way :P)

btw, you ask on a pc enthousiast forum what they feel about pc gaming? :P come on, no one here will say: pc gaming  sucks xD

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate
my build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133477-750d-finished/

To me the most important thing about gaming is not what I'm playing on but who I'm playing with. If all my friends played on consoles I'd be playing on consoles as well no matter how much better PCs are. Of course, if all you do is play single player then PC is the way to go.

Consoles have some advantages over pc, but I wouldn't buy cconsole to be my prior gaming system. Only games that consoles really rule over pc are racing, sport and fighting. All others work as well on pc as on consoles. Problem with pc is that gamemakers make more money with console games, maybe because you pay $70 for single AAA title with 10h of gameplay. I read console game reviews and laught everytime critic torns multiplayer on console apart. MP is pcs biggest thing over consoles. There has been mp on pc for ages now so everyone knows how its supposed to make. Consoles are more livingroom type where you have local mp between ppl in same room. No need for fancy webcode there.

Why pc:

+ multiplayer works in every game

+ cheap games, mass sales, free & indie games

+ selection of games as soon as you plug it to web

+ grafics....

- lack of good games in genres mentioned above.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv