ESD Safe Vacuum, are they snake oil BS?

rcarlos243

Just browsing amazon and saw THIS

Is it legit or snake oil BS?

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

ESD safe vacuums are definitely a thing I believe. Not sure about that particular one though.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

ESD safe vacuums are definitely a thing I believe. Not sure about that particular one though.

Do you know any good model for under $200?

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

6 minutes ago, rcarlos243 said:

Do you know any good model for under $200?

I unfortunately do not. I can ask at work what we use since nearly everything we use is ESD. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

You can make any vacuum ESD safe by attaching a metal tip and grounding that tip.  If no static charge can develop anywhere that might contact the electronic components of the PC the no discharge can occur.  

No discharge, no damage.

On 5/4/2016 at 3:00 AM, Godlygamer23 said:

I unfortunately do not. I can ask at work what we use since nearly everything we use is ESD. 

Have you seen what you use at work yet?

On 5/5/2016 at 7:12 AM, ThomasD said:

You can make any vacuum ESD safe by attaching a metal tip and grounding that tip.  If no static charge can develop anywhere that might contact the electronic components of the PC the no discharge can occur.  

No discharge, no damage.

Do you have any vacuum cleaner with small tip recommendation for under $200?

I've seen blowers and esd vacuums in the $50-80 range, but can't tell you how well, or if they work

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W