Need advice on Martial Arts learning

RazeG3SG1

This is a weird place to ask about this, but I'm interested in picking up martial arts. I have learnt about avoiding McDojos etc but I'm in a dilemma of choosing which one.

ITF Tae-Kwon-Do: I was trained in WTF Tae-Kwan-Do when I was 7 and I reached Taegeuk 5 at the age of 10 (10 years ago). I had to stop practice it due to excessive homework (A very common scene in Asia). MMA at that time was completely unheard of to my parents. This is one of my choices because it is what I'm most familiar with and unfinished dream? (For those who don't know about it: I was 4 sections away from the 1st Dan, except that I will remain at Taegeuk 8 until 18).

MMA: There's all the rage about MMA and it is easy to understand why. It's applicable to almost everywhere, however, there is almost no way to verify if the instructor is legit. The big names (Evolve MMA School) also have very hefty fees.

Jeet Kune Do: It's pretty much the same as MMA, but the only problem is that the amount of school is very limited and travelling to the school is very difficult.

My main goal of learning martial arts is for self-defense. Hope there are actually martial arts practitioners here, do hop in and discuss!

I don't really know if you can call Jeet Kune Do as the same as MMA.  Bruce Lee learned Wing Chun from Yip Man, and incorporated a lot of what he learned into JKD.

I study kenjutsu and kyudo for the sake of mental and physical discipline.  I don't really care if I use it for self defense or offense.  So pick one that makes you feel good about yourself, keeps you fit, teaches you discipline.

Judo, Tai Chi, Akido, Jujitsu, Kendo, Kyudo, the various forms of Chinese martial arts like Ba Gua Zhang, Hung Ga, Wing Chun, etc. Brazilian Capoeira, and so on... just study the one(s) that interests you most.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Pick the one that is closest to you. Getting home after a proper class can be difficult when you are too sore to walk xD 

In a situation where you need to defend yourself all the martial arts stuff goes out the window

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

9 hours ago, techswede said:

Pick the one that is closest to you. Getting home after a proper class can be difficult when you are too sore to walk xD 

In a situation where you need to defend yourself all the martial arts stuff goes out the window

That much is true. Unless you practice for years, the martial arts training won't become instinct yet. When you get into a fight, or need to unexpectedly defend yourself, you won't have time to think about "Now how do I do that arm-lock then flip again?" It'll be over before your brain can register "move left foot into stance, raise right ball of foot", etc.

Once you've trained for years though, the training can become instinct. But most people don't train that far.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

To those that do MMA, how do I verify if an instructor is legit? And what I can expect to learn from the class?