A Great Video Explaining Zen

(Skip to 2:45 for the Zen Part of the video)

If AMD can deliver an unlocked ZEN quad core CPU under $100 I can see them dominating the market with Intel's latest statements about not focusing on powerful CPU's. As long as the AM4 motherboards are reasonable priced they could be a great choice for budget gaming.  

3 minutes ago, Bobby_Joe_90 said:

If AMD can deliver an unlocked quad core CPU under $100 I can see them dominating the market with Intel's latest statements about not focusing on powerful CPU's. As long as the AM4 motherboards are reasonable priced they could be a great choice for budget gaming.  

dAh8I5J.png

m9wlCdm.pngHaven't even considered quad core APUs for that sort of price!

Sig under construction.

Just now, Tedster said:

dAh8I5J.png

m9wlCdm.png

I was talking about Zen.

1 minute ago, Bobby_Joe_90 said:

I was talking about Zen.

But you didn't mention it in that paragraph (:

Sig under construction.

2 minutes ago, Tedster said:

But you didn't mention it in that paragraph (:

Fixed.

12 minutes ago, Bobby_Joe_90 said:

If

yes, thank you very much for your factless speculation and high hopes, totally believable from some random youtube video because the guy probably works at AMD and knows all this, right? right?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

24 minutes ago, Bobby_Joe_90 said:

If AMD can deliver an unlocked ZEN quad core CPU under $100 I can see them dominating the market with Intel's latest statements about not focusing on powerful CPU's. As long as the AM4 motherboards are reasonable priced they could be a great choice for budget gaming.  

IF AMD can release a competitive product for a competitive price, then it´ll do well! More at 11.

My issue with Zen is that basically I don't think 2 year old performance is a compelling thing to deliver. The only reason you would prefer Zen over a Core i7 is price, but by the time this comes out Intel will be 3 generations of processors ahead, that does make it exceptionally likely they will have a competing CPU at the same price.

Zen as far as I can tell so far isn't going to do much other than continue to be a budget offering and that is disappointing.

Their 4-core, 4-thread Athalon chip would perform around an i5-3570k level. Still not very competitive with an i5-6600k or a Kaby Lake i5 in terms of performance. However, if they can price it between $80 and $150, it would be an interesting option.

It's the 4-core, 8-thread Zen I'm wondering about... It will perform like an i7-3770k. If they can price it between $200 and $250 that'd be hype.

The 6-core, 12-thread or 8-core, 16-thread chips better be under $500 each. If they are not, it will be a disappointing release as similarly priced Intel parts will edge out the performance crown while having an acceptable price/performance.

All in all, if they can do $150 4-thread, $250 8-thread, $350 12-thread, and $499 16-thread, it will be quite the time to be alive.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ