Opinions on Schiit?

Go to solution Solved by h264,

What? Schiit thread?  Posting schiity thread for the newbies:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/562736/what-causes-this-amp-related

Sincerely, h264, your resident NwavGuy fanboy.

I found Schiit audio a while ago, but I haven't really seen too much talked about them. Their components look really nice and the options they offer look like really good options, I was wondering if anyone on the LTT forum has any Schiit equipment or has any experience with it, because I'm interested in buying a DAC and Amp pair from them at some point. I mainly want to know personal experiences with them and suggestions if possible. Thanks if you can help!

Cheers!

Oh boy.

Schiit is seriously everything that's wrong with the audio community right now. You are paying for a fancy case with their products. The actual amps/dacs are nothing but garbage. Their amps are simple cmoy's with way to much gain, and the DAC is nothing but a little crappy chip.

Whatever you do, stay far away from them. There are many people on this forum that dislike schiit.

@h264 would be so kind to comment.

I think they are like beats awesome packaging bad audio(in this case Amps) no?

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

I think they are like beats awesome packaging bad audio(in this case Amps) no?

That's a good analogy. You are paying for a shiny case, the audio is terrible.

For $200, you can grab an o2/ODAC for $30 more which is the benchmark performer in it's category.

So, what are some good suggestions around the $100-$300ea range for DAC and AMP pairs (not combos) 
I use HD558s currently as my staple headphones, but will be moving to higher fidelity cans in the future, for use case scenario (spanning all audio genre and generally all audio use as possible).

So, what are some good suggestions around the $100-$300ea range for DAC and AMP pairs (not combos) 

I use HD558s currently as my staple headphones, but will be moving to higher fidelity cans in the future, for use case scenario (spanning all audio genre and generally all audio use as possible).

http://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/black-objecective2.html

http://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/odac---standalone.html

For your kind of usage scenario, you want to stay away from tubes, and you a headphone amp/dac combination that is 100% neutral.

That's a good analogy. You are paying for a shiny case, the audio is terrible.

I wouldn't say the audio is terrible, but you can get the same performance for less, or better for about the same.

There's not really any nice stack units per say, but you can get an O2 and ODAC in separate units.

Eh... I don't know if I would completely trust a company representative to have an unbiased view when comparing their product vs another company's product. Just sayin'.

I've heard plenty of good things about Schiit, and while I haven't tried out their products, I definitely plan on trying out the Modi+Magni stack in the future before giving a definite opinion. 

Eh... I don't know if I would completely trust a company representative to have an unbiased view when comparing their product vs another company's product. Just sayin'.

I've heard plenty of good things about Schiit, and while I haven't tried out their products, I definitely plan on trying out the Modi+Magni stack in the future before giving a definite opinion. 

If the gain wasn't so freaking high, I'd consider a stack myself. They do look nice.

http://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/black-objecective2.html

http://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/odac---standalone.html

For your kind of usage scenario, you want to stay away from tubes, and you a headphone amp/dac combination that is 100% neutral.

Thanks, those look nice.

I'm keeping my options open though for other possibilities, but atm those seem quite nice, and the prices are great.

Aha, thats why I am waiting for first hand experiences to form a reliable opinion on Schiit.

Let the forum know your experience on that Modi+Magni once you get a chance to try them out.

Aha, thats why I am waiting for first hand experiences to form a reliable opinion on Schiit.

Let the forum know your experience on that Modi+Magni once you get a chance to try them out.

You'd probably get better reviews and such over at head-fi.

It's the truth, if it was good I would say so, but it's not. It's pretty common knowledge.

You'd probably get better reviews and such over at head-fi.

Lol, that can't be further from the truth. Head-fi is full of idiots who buy the latest thing because Jude says it's good. Headfi is the last place I would look honestly.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Ha yeah, I was about to post that. 

Any company that releases that garbage should be put out of business  :rolleyes:

Even crappy Chinese products don't do that.

I contacted Jason and he noted this is normal operation.

That's right from the thread...just terrible.

For a stack in your price range there isn't much to choose from in my knowledge other than the o2/ODAC. There are fiio products that are somewhat stackable but the o2/ODAC out performs.

I'm sure i'm forgetting a small company that makes something stackable in the price range but nothing of note.

Well, that is absolutely certainly a no go with Schiit. Thanks for that. Any suggestions then?

oh, well, your onboard is great for most low impedance headphones.  Things like the HD600s start needing basic amps like the FiiO E10 and anything else that specs it's amp's measurements.  When you start getting those planar magnetic drivers you'll start looking at things like the O2+ODAC.  You really don't need much more power than that, and you certainly don't WANT headphones that take more power than that.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

How come every review I've seen seems to praise Valhalla and Bifrost (only ones of their devices I have looked into) if they are so shitty?

I'm genuinely interested.

How come every review I've seen seems to praise Valhalla and Bifrost (only ones of their devices I have looked into) if they are so shitty?

I can't comment on their higher end products, it's the cheap/low end products that are the problem.

I can't comment on their higher end products, it's the cheap/low end products that are the problem.

Ah okay, that may be it. Thanks for clearing that up.

They're a head-fi sponsor.

You don't always know something is bad just by listening to it. Different is not always better.

Those fancy enclosures.

Expectation bias.

Not to mention all that bandwagon appeal and sighted listening bias.

However, in the case of the Asgard, it's much worse than just sounding bad. Nor was it the first or last product to feature numerous workmanship issues. At least all the cases are shiny.

NuForce is another example of a boutique brand with issues like this that vary from each PCB run.

They're a head-fi sponsor.

You don't always know something is bad just by listening to it. Different is not always better.

Those fancy enclosures.

Expectation bias.

Not to mention all that bandwagon appeal and sighted listening bias.

However, in the case of the Asgard, it's much worse than just sounding bad. Nor was it the first or last product to feature numerous workmanship issues. At least all the cases are shiny.

NuForce is another example of a boutique brand with issues like this that vary from each PCB run.

Dat QC testing...

• 8 years later...

First of all, I've never posted here and really like the Linus videos I've watched on YouTube.

Second, Schiit offers a lot of bang for the buck for the budget audiophile. I have two Schiit headphone amps (first generation Jotunheim and the latest Vali), and I also have their phono pre-amp and Loki equalizer. I've got much audiophile enjoyment out of all of it.

If you're considering a Schiit product, do your research of course and read reviews to see if its for you. Calling their stuff "crappy" and "garbage" is ridiculous. 

I understand this is an old thread, but it's never too late to correct what I find to be a ridiculous opinion.