Ok guys, i already have a full machine built with the following;

i7-5820K

X99 Micro2

32GB (4x8GB) 2400MHz C12

Samsung 950 Pro 512GB

GTX TITAN X

My PSU is 750w

And the whole thing is watercooled.

I am wondering whether i should stick with my Titan X and wait for pascal, and pick up a second when the price drops.

Or sell the Titan X, and spend a bit more now and grab a pair of R9 Nano cards.

I can only realistically fit a single slot card in as my 950 pro is in the last slot (pcie adapter card). Leaving 3 slots for gpus, 2 taken by the first Titan X.

As i would be watercooling, i can put a single slot plate on the R9 Nanos and they would be fine with the 950 pro. I cant do that with that Titan X though.

If i got a second Titan id also have to upgrade my PSU, and the cooling would probably struggle, 240 + 360 rads. Second R9 would not require either but would need me to purchase 2 gpu blocks and an adapter to join the two. Making that more expensive also.

Wait for Pascal, I'd guess, Sell the TITAN just before it drops, so the price hasn't dropped a whole lot.

Don't start a post without pc specs.

Two nano's would perform better but only  when the game has the drivers and crossfire profile plus it'll look awesome. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

No.

Get a Lamborghini instead

Much more effective at what you trying to achieve

Or just a Tesla.

Don't start a post without pc specs.

1 minute ago, alexyy said:

Two nano's would perform better but only  when the game has the drivers and crossfire profile plus it'll look awesome. 

Two 980ti's would be a good choice as well. 

Id love a pair of 980Tis and actually had the option of them when i got the titan x. Ever since having an i5 and a 660Ti. I picked up this little bit of OCD where it has the be the "full fat" chip. No disabled cores or anything. Idk why. But it forced me to get a 3770K and a 770, later a 4790K and i kept that 770.

My 5820K is a gateway chip to a 6900K, a "full fat" 8 core Broadwell E chip (10 core likely will be too expensive, and is not a "full chip" its actually a 16 core chip with 6 disabled, just like the 6core is an 8 core with 2 disabled).

The Titan X was a leaving gift from where i used to work. I was a bit silly in not picking the pair of 980tis but that was my OCD wanting a full fat chip... rip.

2 minutes ago, Arc_Jester said:

Did you seriously buy a Titan X...? Wait for Polaris/Pascal.

I got it as a gift when i left my old work 6 months ago. If it werent for that id probs still have a 770 haha

1 minute ago, ValkyrieStar said:

I got it as a gift when i left my old work 6 months ago. If it werent for that id probs still have a 770 haha

Oh I see, that makes more sense.

Wait for Polaris/Pascal. They are just around the corner (probable announcement in June at Computex). It would be a shame to get the previous gen GPUs right now.
If you really want a second Titan X or this Nano Crossfire, you should wait for the next gen to be released, this way you will more likely get them at a better price than now.

In any event, sell your Titan right before the next gen GPU release, so as to spare a few hundreds pesos in your upgrade.

1 minute ago, Arc_Jester said:

Oh I see, that makes more sense.

Unfortunately also at the time i dont remember there being the Nano, only the fury x.

I like the nanos for their size, almost same performance as fury x, and low power consumption. Also the aquacomputer has really sexy blocks for them. Its also got the full fat fiji chips.

Polaris and Pascal won't be better than 980 Ti/Fury X right off the bat. According to AMD Polaris is going to be mid-range only. As for Pascal, Nvidia are likely to make two new, cheaper and more efficient cards that rival the 980 Ti's performance.

As such if you have top tier products now, Polaris and Pascal are unlikely to make much sense until GP 100 sees itself in a gaming card. As you already have a Titan X, I advise you to keep it. According you your profile, you're only gaming at 1080p 60hz anyway -- how much AA do you need exactly for your Titan X to warrant an expensive upgrade?

Keep it and think about upgrading when Big Pascal or Vega start to rear their heads.

2 minutes ago, Thiback said:

Wait for Polaris/Pascal. They are just around the corner (probable announcement in June at Computex). It would be a shame to get the previous gen GPUs right now.
If you really want a second Titan X or this Nano Crossfire, you should wait for the next gen to be released, this way you will more likely get them at a better price than now.

In any event, sell your Titan right before the next gen GPU release, so as to spare a few hundreds pesos in your upgrade.

Thats mostly what im thinking, if pre release benches of pascal/polaris are amazing, then i might sell and jump to them. Or if not, wait a little longer and pick up a pair of this gen cards for cheaps.

If i sold my titan id have to put up with a jet turbine of a HD 5970. Another gift from work, got 5 of them actually, from some guys old compute rig who decided to donate them. For whatever reason they were going to get chucked out. Think they were overheating or something. But i got in there and said dont chuck that out ill take it - so now i got 5x HD 5970s. They make great room heaters though!

1 minute ago, othertomperson said:

Polaris and Pascal won't be better than 980 Ti/Fury X right off the bat. According to AMD Polaris is going to be mid-range only. As for Pascal, Nvidia are likely to make two new, cheaper and more efficient cards that rival the 980 Ti's performance.

As such if you have top tier products now, Polaris and Pascal are unlikely to make much sense until GP 100 sees itself in a gaming card. As you already have a Titan X, I advise you to keep it. According you your profile, you're only gaming at 1080p 60hz anyway -- how much AA do you need exactly for your Titan X to warrant an expensive upgrade?

Keep it and think about upgrading when Big Pascal or Vega start to rear their heads.

My monitor is my next target tbh. As im only on 1080p, i just stick everything on full wack, nothing so far thats even been remotely limited by my titan x.

Id be going for 1440p 144hz 24 inch probably. And with whatever AA i can get away with without getting jaggies... i hate jaggies...

9 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

AMD said Polaris 10 would be as fast and much cheaper than 980 Ti/Fury X and they also said they are aim for Polaris to be cheaper than Pascal.

_id1461590365_343178_5.png

6 minutes ago, ValkyrieStar said:

My monitor is my next target tbh. As im only on 1080p, i just stick everything on full wack, nothing so far thats even been remotely limited by my titan x.

Id be going for 1440p 144hz 24 inch probably. And with whatever AA i can get away with without getting jaggies... i hate jaggies...

Making the jump to dual R9 Nanos would be very nice if you were to pair that with a 4K monitor -- though you would of course be restricted to 60fps. If you hate jaggies though (which I can totally understand) that might be the way forward.

However in that case I would definitely agree with the others in this thread. While I'm not expecting Polaris/Pascal to be better than Fury X/Titan X, what I am expecting is that 980 Ti-like performance could be had in the 1070 or 490 tier cards, and that you could get both for around £500.

This is assuming that this next generation is priced like every generation before it, and performs like every generation before it. So it's a guess, but an educated one, I think.

3 minutes ago, Arc_Jester said:

AMD said Polaris 10 would be as fast and much cheaper than 980 Ti/Fury X and they also said it Polaris will be cheaper than Pascal.

_id1461590365_343178_5.png

Do you think you're contradicting me? Because you're not. All you've said is that the new top tier card will match the previous generation top tier card and be cheaper. Ergo, mid-range by the time Nvidia releases a new series of better performing GPUs.

2 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

Do you think you're contradicting me? Because you're not.

I was just adding to what you said.

Get Nanos. As AMD GPUs are performing way better tha Nvidia in recent DirectX 12 titles.
Another option is to wait for Polaris/Pascal.

23 minutes ago, ValkyrieStar said:

Id love a pair of 980Tis and actually had the option of them when i got the titan x. Ever since having an i5 and a 660Ti. I picked up this little bit of OCD where it has the be the "full fat" chip. No disabled cores or anything. Idk why. But it forced me to get a 3770K and a 770, later a 4790K and i kept that 770.

My 5820K is a gateway chip to a 6900K, a "full fat" 8 core Broadwell E chip (10 core likely will be too expensive, and is not a "full chip" its actually a 16 core chip with 6 disabled, just like the 6core is an 8 core with 2 disabled).

The Titan X was a leaving gift from where i used to work. I was a bit silly in not picking the pair of 980tis but that was my OCD wanting a full fat chip... rip.

Having a pair of 980 Tis, I can say they are great, but I wouldn't buy them at this point in the game if I was currently looking to upgrade now.

I am not exactly sure what your issue is with disabled cores, but I currently have a "full chip" 5960x and absolutely plan to move onto the 6950x.  Disabled cores or not, but I don't think anyone knows that at this point. 

Regarding whether Nanos or Titan X... As I see it, you'd save a lot more by selling the Titan X and get 2 nanos. But otherwise, the second Titan X is the way to go for sheer performance, and the dual Nanos is the way to go for lower consumption. I'd would be more going for the Titans since the Nanos are probably going to get bottlenecked by their 4gb Vram in the near future during 1440p gaming, since games demand more and more VRAM, and Crossfire and SLI don't stack that (yet)

Now, as  @othertomperson pointed out, wait for the next gen.

And where the heck do you work at to get all those free GPUs ???

11 minutes ago, Thiback said:

Regarding whether Nanos or Titan X... As I see it, you'd save a lot more by selling the Titan X and get 2 nanos. But otherwise, the second Titan X is the way to go for sheer performance, and the dual Nanos is the way to go for lower consumption. I'd would be more going for the Titans since the Nanos are probably going to get bottlenecked by their 4gb Vram in the near future during 1440p gaming, since games demand more and more VRAM, and Crossfire and SLI don't stack that (yet)

Now, as  @othertomperson pointed out, wait for the next gen.

And where the heck do you work at to get all those free GPUs ???

Framebuffer;

Titans win.

Compute Power;

Nanos win.

Gaming Performance;

Titans win.

DX12 Performance;

Nanos win.

Ease of Multi GPU;

Nanos win. (Single slot when watercooled vs 2 slot on titans)

Performance/W;

Id say Nanos probably win.

175w per GPU at almost 980ti speeds is sexy.

Actual preference;

Titans win.

Purely because id have 2 of insanely fast GPUs vs 2 of not as fast GPUs xD

39 minutes ago, ValkyrieStar said:

Lol i want to work where you did now

Breaking things 1 day at a time

3 minutes ago, ValkyrieStar said:

Framebuffer;

Titans win.

Compute Power;

Nanos win.

Gaming Performance;

Titans win.

DX12 Performance;

Nanos win.

Ease of Multi GPU;

Nanos win. (Single slot when watercooled vs 2 slot on titans)

Performance/W;

Id say Nanos probably win.

175w per GPU at almost 980ti speeds is sexy.

Actual preference;

Titans win.

Purely because id have 2 of insanely fast GPUs vs 2 of not as fast GPUs xD

You forgot about price.