Genuine advantage of 'gaming' branded screens over the normal screens?

gonvres

Obviously some have 144h/z, gsync, freesync, etc.

I'm more talking about this type of display. 

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/25659/benq-rl2455hm-24in-led-gaming-monitor  - The 2455HM over say something like a $50 cheaper BenQ display that has identical refresh rate, size, resolution etc. 

The screen will be used for gaming on a 'somewhat' competitive level (Simracing), but I'm really unsure if I need the fast response time, but what can it hurt really.

Apart from what you've mentioned, take note of the input latency.

All those things being considered, don't take gaming branding seriously. Companies will brand anything as being for gaming to charge extra.

From what I've noticed it usually just comes down to  the amount of setting you can change on the monitor and the type of panel the monitor may have. Also it just depends on what the monitor was specifically designed for and the market they are targetting. 

A lot of companies will sell the same exact monitor and panel but different design and name just to target different markets. But with some companies that won't be the case at all. 

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

8 minutes ago, gonvres said:

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/25659/benq-rl2455hm-24in-led-gaming-monitor  - The 2455HM over say something like a $50 cheaper BenQ display that has identical refresh rate, size, resolution etc. 

The screen will be used for gaming on a 'somewhat' competitive level (Simracing), but I'm really unsure if I need the fast response time, but what can it hurt really.

I would say with that monitor it may have to do with the 1ms response time. But normally I hear that won't make that much of a difference. I would consider that monitor to not be a gaming monitor. Bit weird how it's called that though.

Edit: reading more of the page I realized it actually has way lower input lag (around 10ms) which is actually really good for a monitor. 

Just now, Ronda said:

Apart from what you've mentioned, take note of the input latency.

All those things being considered, don't take gaming branding seriously. Companies will brand anything as being for gaming to charge extra.

I'm of the same opinion. The thing is I don't really have a lot (or any) experience with low latency models. I've always just been a buy consumer monitor type guy but figured since I was adding another screen I might consider something slightly more exotic. I do simrace on the screen on a fairly professional level and I assume that needs good response rates and low input lag. It all helps. I notice a lot of the cheaper panels are now VA, not TN and VA does have ghosting (apparently, I don't know).

2 minutes ago, CaptainGunny said:

I would say with that monitor it may have to do with the 1ms response time. But normally I hear that won't make that much of a difference. I would consider that monitor to not be a gaming monitor. Bit weird how it's called that though.

Agreed. Ideally i'd like something like the BenQ XL2411Z.

But thats literally twice the price and I'm not really sure i'm in the demographic who would get value from the 144h/z (again, i've never used 144h/z displays).

34 minutes ago, gonvres said:

I guess you could say that the devil (difference) is in the details, look at spec sheets and feature lists, is there hight adjust? Swivel? what's the input lag? what panel type is it? how many colours does it support? does it have a built in powered usb hub? resolution? aspect ratio (16:10 / 21:9)?

Online stores here usually go with "this monitor has 122/144Hz with 1 ms response time, it's the ultimate gaming monitor" and then you power it up and you get eye cancer from the washed out colours (I'm not joking my roomate bought one of these, and it looked terrible). I think the gaming branded monitors are changing though, they are getting genuinly better, they have the features to justify their price like gsync/freesync fast panels that manage to have good colours even on TN.