1150 xeon vs i5 z87

just wondering whats the performance between these two, as the prices are very similar. i mean in terms of gaming, maybe a bit of editing and rendering and just general use. does the xeon have any potential to overclock, if so how does it do? 

1. 4670k

2. xeon e3-1230 v3

thanks in advance :D 

Cpu:4670k- at stock.... for now Gpu:r9-280x crossfire Cooler:KrakenX40 MB:mpower SP Ram:8gb hyperX beast 

Gaming I would go with the 4670k, if your doing server or workstation tasks and not so much gaming get the Xeon.

any particular reasons? 

Cpu:4670k- at stock.... for now Gpu:r9-280x crossfire Cooler:KrakenX40 MB:mpower SP Ram:8gb hyperX beast 

any particular reasons? 

Xeons are rated for 24/7 operation and support ECC memory. You will have to check the hardware compatibility list for your motherboard to see if it supports the Xeon processor you'd get, and you might have to do a BIOS update.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Xeons are rated for 24/7 operation and support ECC memory. You will have to check the hardware compatibility list for your motherboard to see if it supports the Xeon processor you'd get, and you might have to do a BIOS update.

ok thanks :) 

Gaming I would go with the 4670k, if your doing server or workstation tasks and not so much gaming get the Xeon.

Don't listen to them, I've been doing research as well and they are totally wrong.

any particular reasons? 

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58498-intel-xeon-e3-1230v2-any-good/

Xeon e3-1230v2 is i7 3770 basically with some minor changes (a bit lower clock and no iGPU being the most important) but they work well, while Xeon e3-1230v3 is i7 4770 (slightly lower clock and no iGPU).

This is not Xeon e5 workstation for lga 2011... This is a derivative from desktop CPUs.

If you stick them to normal motherboards of respective socket (considering that mobo supports them) you will get a normal x86 processor, 4 cores + hyperthreading exactly like i7. No overclocking whatsoever allowed same as i7 4770.

][ CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t @3,7GHz ][ GPU: GTX 660 2GB ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 8GB @1450Mhz CL9 DDR3 ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: SilentiumPC Regnum L50 ][ CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo & Arctic MX4 ][

Don't listen to them, I've been doing research as well and they are totally wrong.

Xeon e3-1230v2 is i7 3770 basically with some minor changes (a bit lower clock and no iGPU being the most important) but they work well, while Xeon e3-1230v3 is i7 4770 (slightly lower clock and no iGPU).

This is not Xeon e5 workstation for lga 2011... This is a derivative from desktop CPUs.

If you stick them to normal motherboards of respective socket (considering that mobo supports them) you will get a normal x86 processor, 4 cores + hyperthreading exactly like i7. No overclocking whatsoever allowed same as i7 4770.

ok....... getting conflicting opinions here, and not to devalue your opinion but this is your first post.  

ok....... getting conflicting opinions here, and not to devalue your opinion but this is your first post.  

New to this forums, decided to register because I've seen your thread and thought 'not this again', i've been researching about this because I intended to get Xeon e3-1230v3 myself and it's a normal x86 CPU. People sometimes think like it's dark magic behind Xeons, when it's not. They are as good as anything else for gaming, because games don't use any different instructions sets usually but a pure x86.

Nah its okay.

Generally i do not know why people say "you can't use Xeon for gaming". It's not recommended but it's only because they are lower clocked generally to compensate for energy consumption of more than 4 cores. A x86 processor is always x86 processor even if it's called differently. It may feature different instruction sets but games almost never use anything more complicated than pure x86.

In case of Xeon e3-1230v3 it's clocked 100mhz lower than i7 4770, COMPLETELY insignificant.

http://ark.intel.com/compare/75054,65719,65732,75122

][ CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t @3,7GHz ][ GPU: GTX 660 2GB ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 8GB @1450Mhz CL9 DDR3 ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: SilentiumPC Regnum L50 ][ CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo & Arctic MX4 ][

So... Intel is just lying about Socket 1150 Xeons being rated for 24/7 operation and supporting ECC memory?

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/xeon/xeon-processor-e3-family.html

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

So... Intel is just lying about Socket 1150 Xeons being rated for 24/7 operation?

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/xeon/xeon-processor-e3-family.html

Of course, they even put that ugly 'glue' under IHS like in every other Ivy Bridge/Haswell desktop CPU. It's the same production line i believe as other desktop CPUs, just fused off some stuff here and there to fit different market.

just wondering whats the performance between these two, as the prices are very similar. i mean in terms of gaming, maybe a bit of editing and rendering and just general use. does the xeon have any potential to overclock, if so how does it do? 

1. 4670k

2. xeon e3-1230 v3

its like an i7. so for rendering and stuff its better. also if you want to get a non K i7,get this if you will use a dedicated video card. for gaming its like a stock i7 aswell.look at i7 4770 benchmarks

1. 4670k

2. xeon e3-1230 v3

Besides:

I'd assume that the difference between a non 2011 Xeon and an i7 would be that the Xeon is optimized for lower power usage, has no iGPU and has a locked multiplier. It's going to be the same silicon as a core i7; it will just be optimized for server operation, which probably would have little to no effect on games, other than lower core speed due to the locked multiplier.

Xeon of your motherboard is compatible and you dont want to overclock

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

this is correct

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!