Dell XPS 15 9550 - ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED

I just recently got a my new dell xps 15 and just a few weeks in i hit my first problem, i dont think its the laptop but ill just explain the issue.

When i am using Google chrome and i search something in the address bar it will show up with an error of: ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED.

I can go to a full address though, im typing this on the laptop right now. Things like steam, Spotify, discord etc. still work though.

And sometimes i notice that the laptop will completely disconnect from the net, i would be on my desktop and steam will show in home streaming has stopped.

I have no idea what the issue is, i have rolled back my files to a state when they were working and the issue keeps coming back to haunt me!

Any ideas?

Thanks

3 minutes ago, Lachlan_OConnor said:

I just recently got a my new dell xps 15 and just a few weeks in i hit my first problem, i dont think its the laptop but ill just explain the issue.

When i am using Google chrome and i search something in the address bar it will show up with an error of: ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED.

I can go to a full address though, im typing this on the laptop right now. Things like steam, Spotify, discord etc. still work though.

And sometimes i notice that the laptop will completely disconnect from the net, i would be on my desktop and steam will show in home streaming has stopped.

I have no idea what the issue is, i have rolled back my files to a state when they were working and the issue keeps coming back to haunt me!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Reinstall network drivers.

Its automatic, just press this button!

Just now, mrgooglegeek said:

Reinstall network drivers.

Ok boss, on it. Ill get back to you

2 minutes ago, Lachlan_OConnor said:

Just looked into the proxy settings on my laptop, they have this weird manual crap. I cannot delete these settings either, every time I do they come back!!!

https://gyazo.com/456027b7c6c90e885f5d98685a3af650

Also, to remove the proxy, you can open the start menu and search internet options, open them, and go to connections>LAN settings.

Just now, mrgooglegeek said:

Also, to remove the proxy, you can open the start menu and search internet options, open them, and go to connections>LAN settings.

Ill give that a shot too, thanks for the fast reply!

If you can, uncheck Automatically detect settings and uncheck use a proxy for your lan. If you can't, send a screenshot of whats on your startup (task manager>more details[might say something slightly different]>startup)

Wait a sec, are you logged in as Admin? Apparently not, according to the last screenshot. To change the proxy settings you have to have admin

3 minutes ago, mrgooglegeek said:

If you can, uncheck Automatically detect settings and uncheck use a proxy for your lan. If you can't, send a screenshot of whats on your startup (task manager>more details[might say something slightly different]>startup)

The pervious screenshot show a yellow box with text at the bottom, would that be mcafee? I want to get rid of Mcafee but its a pain.

https://gyazo.com/4db71f9722a0a138c54e05547735f1cc

4 minutes ago, mrgooglegeek said:

Ohh and i cnt change the settings, it just goes back

1 minute ago, Lachlan_OConnor said:

The pervious screenshot show a yellow box with text at the bottom, would that be mcafee? I want to get rid of Mcafee but its a pain.

https://gyazo.com/4db71f9722a0a138c54e05547735f1cc

Yea, that may be mcafee. Try disabling anything network related in mcafee, that could help. If not, you might have to uninstall and find something else.

1 minute ago, mrgooglegeek said:

Yea, that may be mcafee. Try disabling anything network related in mcafee, that could help. If not, you might have to uninstall and find something else.

Ill give it a go. Ill be back with the results soon!

31 minutes ago, mrgooglegeek said:

I uninstalled mcafee. And now it's all f***ed. It's showing a ERR_PROXY_CONNECTION_FAILED error now. And the pc is not connected to anything... I can even access my routers page 

Alright you need to go back to internet options and try to remove the proxy again. The reason it is doing this is because McAfee set up a proxy on your pc in order to secure traffic and every time the proxy had an issue your internet would fail. 

2 minutes ago, mrgooglegeek said:

Alright you need to go back to internet options and try to remove the proxy again. The reason it is doing this is because McAfee set up a proxy on your pc in order to secure traffic and every time the proxy had an issue your internet would fail. 

It is still locked. And there is still the yellow text 

ok I will try to find the proper group policy settings for this, I might be a minute.

2 minutes ago, mrgooglegeek said:

ok I will try to find the proper group policy settings for this, I might be a minute.

Thanks so much. I'm so confused with all this 

14 minutes ago, Lachlan_OConnor said:

Thanks so much. I'm so confused with all this 

I added you on steam btw. For faster comms. Just to get the reg thing right 

30 minutes ago, mrgooglegeek said:

13 minutes ago, Lachlan_OConnor said:

I added it and it didn't work 

15 minutes ago, mrgooglegeek said:

I made a registry fix for you, this should fix the issue.

fix.reg