VERY confusing LAN problems...

Hello, good members of LTT Forums...

I'm having very strange and annoying problems with a new router (e.g. I'm typing this on my android tablet instead of my desktop).

Our Devices and their status:

My Desktop (ethernet) - internet cuts out very often but is acceptable when it works. Download speeds spike at about 1MB/s and then slowly fall down to zero, then spike back up

My Laptop (wifi) - Same as my desktop, except slower because it's on wifi

Dad's desktop (ethernet) - Same as my desktop, except download speeds remain a constant 2 MB/s or so

Mom's laptop (wifi) - Internet works fine in every way

8 android devices (wifi) - Internet works fine in every way

The only wifi radios for me and my dad's desktops are 2.4Ghz and my laptop is also 2.4Ghz only.

All of the desktops and laptops are Windows 10 or 7

When plugged into our cable modem, my dad's desktop's internet is a constant 2 MB/s with no problems

Our router is a Linksys 1900ACS so I would be suprised if it was that

Our previous router was a Linksys EA6100 that consistently disconnected android devices, but windows devices were fine

Our router before that was a Linksys wrt54gl that CONSTANTLY had to be power cycled

And our ISP is Midco

We're running out of variables other than the router, but I don't understand why that would be a bottleneck. Any help would be appreciated!

Since multiple devices have problems on the same network, I'd suspect the router.

Can you get another router to test with? Maybe even one from friend?

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

Device Manager - Network Connections - Right click on your network card and Properties

Check Power Management tab and make sure that the option for powersaving (Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power) is unchecked. This used to be the culprit for me long time ago.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

If you use the zyXel p2812 multimodem that would explain it :P
In Norway atleast, this was used for about 5 years to give people VDSL/ADSL+ connections. Among the 12 neighbours that had this router, all of them gave up on it after the ISP told them it was their fault, untill the ISP switched to a new model. But yea, basically it is your router/modem that doesn't work.
If you have a multimodem, you should try changing the modem and then using a separate router, while running the modem in bridge mode to releave the stress on it.

I think it could be all those demanding machines running off of the same router.

Try disconnecting all of devices for the exception of one, then run a ping.

Routers will bottleneck if there is alot of things connected at once.

4 hours ago, frostyck said:

I think it could be all those demanding machines running off of the same router.

Try disconnecting all of devices for the exception of one, then run a ping.

Routers will bottleneck if there is alot of things connected at once.

That router will NOT bottleneck those devices, even if there was 15 devices on the network.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4.7GHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 | Motherboard: X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB | Case: NCase M1 v6.0 | SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB, 860 Evo 1TB | CPU Cooler: H100i ELITE CAPELLIX | MonitorsLG 27GN950-B 4K 165Hz |