Laptop for Student

I'm a Student in High school and recently my old laptop could not be charged for some reason so i am looking for a replacement. My Budget up to 700 but i would prefer spending less on the laptop. There are so many to choose from but im not sure what laptop will fit my needs. I want to be able to play games like Cs Go or Minecraft however my main focus is for working, It should have a Decent battery life and be light weight. I've been leaning towards a macbook but they are pretty expensive. Should i go with a Used macbook or are there any better windows alternatives???

xps13?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You won't be able to play any games really on a macbook. Minecraft maybe, but I'm not sure if CS:GO works on mac (because I don't own one) and even if it did, I doubt a macbook would be powerful enough to run it without lag.

Check out Lenovo laptops. I think their gaming line starts around $700. As a student, you most likely do a lot of typing and Lenovo is really good at making keyboards.

ASU

10 minutes ago, penguin1853 said:

I'm a Student in High school and recently my old laptop could not be charged for some reason so i am looking for a replacement. My Budget up to 700 but i would prefer spending less on the laptop. There are so many to choose from but im not sure what laptop will fit my needs. I want to be able to play games like Cs Go or Minecraft however my main focus is for working, It should have a Decent battery life and be light weight. I've been leaning towards a macbook but they are pretty expensive. Should i go with a Used macbook or are there any better windows alternatives???

Laptop prices depend on your location so in some places 700 can get u a good laptop whereas in other places 700 isnt gonna hit as hard

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

6 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Check out Lenovo laptops. I think their gaming line starts around $700. As a student, you most likely do a lot of typing and Lenovo is really good at making keyboards.

yeah i agree with that

im currently using my lenovo laptop as a home based student pc and i have to say the keyboard it great for the price of the unit

Desktop

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

4 minutes ago, penguin1853 said:

Too expensive 

Inspiron 13 7000 Series 2-in-1 
$679.99

Desktop

LAPTOP

48 minutes ago, penguin1853 said:

and recently my old laptop could not be charged for some reason so i am looking for a replacement. My Budget up to 700 but i would prefer spending less on the laptop. There are so many to choose from but im not sure what laptop will fit my needs. I want to be able to play games like Cs Go or Minecraft however my main focus is for working, It should have a Decent battery life and be light weight. I've been leaning towards a macbook but they are pretty expensive. Should i go with a Used macbook or are there any better window

Find a slightly older gaming model laptop you like and search Craigslist for it.
I got my Lenovo Y50-70 (i7 and 860m gpu) for $460 off Craigslist. The thing is rather fragile and battery life isn't great, but it works for my limited needs with it.
The Y50-70 won't fit in anything but a large backpack (the Razer backpack Linus uses is great - I tried my friends the other day and was VERY IMPRESSED with the ergonomics), but the laptop often sells between 500 and 700 on Craigslist nowadays. You could use the spare money to get the new backpack to hold it!
Get the NON-touch model. The hinge for the touch model is NOT good.

Macbook isn't a bad option at all. I used to be one of the Apple haters, but you simply cannot beat their build quality or service. Many of the Macbooks now have PCIe based storage while most Windows laptops have HDD based storage solutions. The OS will really take care of itself. AppleCare and Apple support is overall GREAT. The hinge on ANY of the Apple laptops is great (I work in a store that sells them, so I touch them daily). 

Here's a video of a guy playing CS GO at 60 fps on a Macbook with a i5 6100 processor and Iris pro graphics.

@Captain Matt I have the Lenovo Y50-70. I feel its a little too big for the school experience. As its kinda heavy and battery life is so so.

@penguin1853 The big issues with Gaming notebooks is they can be big, balky and heavy. If you dont mind carrying the power brick with you then I would also recommend the Y50-70. I use my mostly for school and it does get the job done. The only issue is cant always find a place to plug in. I personally would recommend some type of ultra book. Im not sure how many classes you have at the college. As I only had one out of 5 at my college this time around. I mostly do online classes. @Captain Matt Made a great suggestion as far as a good laptop bag. If you dont mind lugging something around then the Y50 could be for you. Only complaint I have is the hard disk is a little slow. Im considering an SSD upgrade. I dont expect much more than an hour on battery life, so I carry my power cord. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

9 hours ago, Donut417 said:

@Captain Matt I have the Lenovo Y50-70. I feel its a little too big for the school experience. As its kinda heavy and battery life is so so.

@penguin1853 The big issues with Gaming notebooks is they can be big, balky and heavy. If you dont mind carrying the power brick with you then I would also recommend the Y50-70. I use my mostly for school and it does get the job done. The only issue is cant always find a place to plug in. I personally would recommend some type of ultra book. Im not sure how many classes you have at the college. As I only had one out of 5 at my college this time around. I mostly do online classes. @Captain Matt Made a great suggestion as far as a good laptop bag. If you dont mind lugging something around then the Y50 could be for you. Only complaint I have is the hard disk is a little slow. Im considering an SSD upgrade. I dont expect much more than an hour on battery life, so I carry my power cord. 

I don't understand why anyone would not carry a power cord. It's like your laptop becomes completely useless without it if you just so happen to run out. Yeah it's kinda bulky, but if you truly have a GOOD backpack like one from Direct Action Gear or Razer (I own the Dust by DAG and it doesn't fit the laptop, but 3 textbooks doesn't feel like much since the weight is so well balanced and I tried the Razer one on with an equivalent load), then you won't mind carrying the extra weight.

I bet Razer could reach a HUGE market if they sold their Blade series with some seriously cut down specs for the more average note-taking user. Having a metal unibody laptop that doesn't cost 1k on the Windows side would be great.

6 minutes ago, Captain Matt said:

I don't understand why anyone would not carry a power cord. It's like your laptop becomes completely useless without it if you just so happen to run out. Yeah it's kinda bulky, but if you truly have a GOOD backpack like one from Direct Action Gear or Razer (I own the Dust by DAG and it doesn't fit the laptop, but 3 textbooks doesn't feel like much since the weight is so well balanced and I tried the Razer one on with an equivalent load), then you won't mind carrying the extra weight.

I bet Razer could reach a HUGE market if they sold their Blade series with some seriously cut down specs for the more average note-taking user. Having a metal unibody laptop that doesn't cost 1k on the Windows side would be great.

I carry a power cord because 1 hour or so of power is not always enough. Which is why I wish I got a ultra book. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

22 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I carry a power cord because 1 hour or so of power is not always enough. Which is why I wish I got a ultra book. 

Basically. I want an SSD too. Honestly, either the Razer Blade or a Macbook Pro would work perfect for me. I'm willing to get a used Blade, but they're still tough to find. Ideally, I'd sell my Y50 for like $500 and something else and try to find one around $800.