PCI lane configuration with SLI and nVME

I have a 6700k with 16 pcie lanes. I'm currently running one gtx 970 in the 16x slot and a intel nvme in the 3rd pci slot at 4x.
I'm looking to get a second card in sli. How would the lane config work. would I have to get rid of the nvme?

12 minutes ago, AbeC916 said:

I have a 6700k with 16 pcie lanes. I'm currently running one gtx 970 in the 16x slot and a intel nvme in the 3rd pci slot at 4x.
I'm looking to get a second card in sli. How would the lane config work. would I have to get rid of the nvme?

no, your motherboard probably provides x4 or x8 PCX bandwidth in addition to your CPU's 16x

check the motherboard specs to be sure

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

no, your motherboard probably provides x4 or x8 PCX bandwidth in addition to your CPU's 16x

check the motherboard specs to be sure

motherboard shows it would split it pci 3.0 8x/8x, leaves 0 for nvme. or can a 4x/4x plus 4x work for sli?

2 minutes ago, AbeC916 said:

motherboard shows it would split it pci 3.0 8x/8x, leaves 0 for nvme. or can a 4x/4x plus 4x work for sli?

sli requires X8 X8

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, AbeC916 said:

If it's in a PCI/e slot and not a M.2 slot (using chipset lanes) then you're screwed. 8x + 8x is required for SLI by decree of nVidia's drivers.

If this was your original setup choice, then Haswell-E would have been the better choice, for not much more money too considering you have a 6700K.

Finally,

1 hour ago, AbeC916 said:

I'm looking to get a second card in sli.

No. Don't you dare. Not only is buying another 970 just an awful idea, but unless you're ABSOLUTELY certain that SLI is going to work in all the games you want it for, without issue, then just sell and buy a 980Ti. It will be much more reliable.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

It was my original choice, I got screwed up with the 20 lanes the z170 provides but come to find out its only for sata,usb,etc.

awful idea is a bit strong considering I bought my first 970 for $290 buck and have a line on the second at 200. the cheapest "good" used 980ti I could find is more than 500

the options I have are keep the 970 and the nVME, till pascal comes down in price. or get a SATA m.2 and a second card and maybe wait around for 2 gens.