Dead motherboard and a 2700k

Chap

Hey guys,

I'm stuck at a crossroads and looking for some advice.  After a DOA RMA and months of back and forth over issues my intel DP67BG  is dead.  I am stuck with a otherwise working rig (as noted below) and a i7 2700k without a board. 

Options: 

1) Track down older P67 board 

2) Sell CPU and make the jump to Haswell, small performance gain.

What do you guys think?

Rig:

i7 2700K

H80i w. Noctua fans

EVGA GTX 680

16GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3

Intel 120gb ssd, 2 x 1tb wd black drives

Coolermaster 1000w psu (Overkill I know)

if you have some sexy overclock going then try to find a P67 board if not than upgrade to haswell

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

i will buy a cheap z77 board and keep the cpu i think haswell is not worth the money 

What he said^

Sandy and Ivy use the same socket.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

i had a mobo dye on me and take out all my hardware... the following week i upgraded.... now i want to upgrade again :|

anyways... UPGRADE... more fun :3

Character artist in the Games industry.

I was thinking of the z77 option, I had issues in the past building for friends where you needs a 3k series cpu to allow the board to get to bios before flashing to allow a 2k series cpu. 

Z77 Mobo. You have a great chip, why leave it for a crappy Haswell?

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

Sorry i could not vote because i would choose differently. I think you should upgrade but to a Z77 motherboard of your choice.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

What everyone else is saying, find a nice Z77 board. Much more cost effective.

I was thinking of the z77 option, I had issues in the past building for friends where you needs a 3k series cpu to allow the board to get to bios before flashing to allow a 2k series cpu. 

I don't know about that.  I know the reverse was true.  You needed a bios update on z68 to get Ivy to work but I never heard of needing a bios update to get sandy to work on z77.

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

I bought a z77 to replace a z68, worked great out of the box fine. Overclocks better too

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

In my opinion Haswell is kind of crappy so I would go with a Z77 board.

I got a P8Z77-V and I can only say good things about it. Also if you get an Asus board you do not need a cpu or even ram to flash a new bios so there would be no problem with it not supporting the 2700k out of the box

• 3 weeks later...

+1 on getting a cheap Z77 board. I would recommend the P8Z77-V LK board.

After picking up a z77 saber tooth that was doa i ended up grabbing the P8Z77-V LK and I have a working rig again, thanks for the recommendation

Hey guys,

I'm stuck at a crossroads and looking for some advice.  After a DOA RMA and months of back and forth over issues my intel DP67BG  is dead.  I am stuck with a otherwise working rig (as noted below) and a i7 2700k without a board. 

Options: 

1) Track down older P67 board 

2) Sell CPU and make the jump to Haswell, small performance gain.

What do you guys think?

Rig:

i7 2700K

H80i w. Noctua fans

EVGA GTX 680

16GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3

Intel 120gb ssd, 2 x 1tb wd black drives

Coolermaster 1000w psu (Overkill I know)

When my gigabyte Z68 board wasn't able to OC past 4.1GHz I got a new Mpower board.  Then screwing around I bent the pins on the old board :(

My PC: CPU: I7-2600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Evo, Mother Board: MSI Z77 Mpower, Ram: 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance (Black), Case: HAF 932, PSU: CM GX 650 (Upgrading to RM750 soon), SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD, HD:  750GB Seagate 7200 RPM, Optical: Samsung Blu-ray burner, GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr (Upgrading to an HD R9-290X on launch)

Get a Z77 board or anything you like but there is no reason at all to get rid of the 2700k

i7 4790k | Asus Z97 M-Plus | 16GB Mushkin 1600mhz | Sapphire R9 390X | Samsung 830 128GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Corsair HX750i | Corsair Carbide 330r Blackout Edition 

Get a gigabyte z77 up7 and some dry ice 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

That is a beasty chip just get another board. The only compelling reason to switch to z87 is the platforms features!

Main: AMD Athlon X4 750K| Coolermaster Hyper TX3 EVO | Gigabyte GA-F2A75M-HD2 | 8GB Kingston 1333mhz | WD Caviar Green 1tb | Coolermaster N200 | OCZ coreXstream 500w | Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB | |Kingston 3k ssd 128gb |