can i transfer ethernet from one computer to the next?

Legolessed

i have one computer that has a wifi card and one that doesn't. can i hook up an ethernet cable and have one send a internet signal to the other computer that has no wifi?

Just now, GreezyJeezy said:

i think ethernet is in only 

really? that sucks

5 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

Wrong, if you've got two ethernet ports on a computer, you can use one port to connect to a network, the other to another computer and use it like an ethernet passthrough. (Or if you've got a wireless card and an ethernet port, you can connect to a network with the wireless card and then use the ethernet port to pass the connection to another computer.)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-internet-connection-sharing#1TC=windows-7 this has some more information on it.

Also, if at least one of the computers is relatively new you won't need a crossover cable, you can just use a regular ethernet cable (I'd recommend Cat5e or better) as newer ethernet jacks tend to have a feature called "Auto MDI-X", more information on that can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-dependent_interface#Auto_MDI-X

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

7 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

nah ethernet is both ways. I know it can be done I just haven't done it personally.

You might be able to find the ethernet port on the PC with wifi and set to the adapter to a "bridge" if i remember from someone else correctly, and it will pass the connection.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

If the computer runs Linux, look up the functionality of brctl

If you're running Windows go to your network settings on the computer that has the WiFi card, open Change Adapter Settings. In here right click the WiFi adapter that's in use. click on Properties and there should be a tab or something else that says Sharing. Under here will be a check box (At least on Windows 10, you application may vary) the check box states "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection" that's what you want. Check the box, click OK, and you're ready to plug in the other computer to your motherboards Ethernet port. Do note the computer with the WiFi card will have to remain turned on or else the computer connected to it will lose internet.

23 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

i figured it out. thanks for the help :) 

You can also just highlight the wifi and ethernet adapters on the "good" computer and right click and select "bridge these adapters" or some such thing...