What PSU Should I get.

comicsansms
Go to solution Solved by DrM,
1 minute ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

So the EVGA G2 750W is going to be just fine? 

yeah

My mind was made up that I was going to buy the EVGA G2 750W since it was $169 for a tier 1 750W PSU, it was gold efficiency and it had a 10 Year Warranty. Then I saw this thread and now reconsidering.

I want a Power Supply that can use for the next 15 Years in my main computer without any issues,

I want to be able to be able to CF or SLI 2 or 3 top Graphics Cards and be able to overclock them,

I would like it to be silent or at least have a silent/fanless mode.

I also  want it to be as efficient as possible and because of that I want it to be gold efficiency or better.

I don't care about monitoring software like Corsair Link, if the unit has it I may or may not install the software.

I don't care about make or model, I just want it to be a very good and reliable unit that I can leave my computer on for months without an issue.

It cannot cost anymore than $250, and I would prefer if it costs less that $200 but honestly over 15 years, it is less than 5c per day.

I would like to buy the Supply from PCCG since I am going to buy other stuff and I don't want to spend an extra $15 on postage.

I was looking at the:

XFX XTR 750W which is $149 but it is classed a tier 2 supply and it only has a 5 year Warranty  

Seasonic X 750 which is $229 and is classed as a tier 1 supply and it has a 7 year Warranty.

Corsair HX750i which is $235 Platinum efficiency, classed as a tier 1 and has a 10 Year Warranty.

Seasonic XP760 which is $239, Platinum efficiency, classed as a tier 1 and has a 7 year Warranty.

The real question is, how likely is the XFX XTR going to fail within the 15 years I am planning to use it, and is it worth spending the extra money on a better and higher efficiency supply.

Expecting a PSU to last 15 years? Only if you don't use it for over half of that time.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

1 minute ago, Fulgrim said:

Expecting a PSU to last 15 years? Only if you don't use it for over half of that time.

It isn't going to be on 24-7-365, just when I need it.

2 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

It isn't going to be on 24-7-365, just when I need it.

In that case, grab that Corsair HX750i, for the 10 year warranty.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

9 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

My mind was made up that I was going to buy the EVGA G2 750W since it was $169 for a tier 1 750W PSU, it was gold efficiency and it had a 10 Year Warranty. Then I saw this thread and now reconsidering.

I want a Power Supply that can use for the next 15 Years in my main computer without any issues,

I want to be able to be able to CF or SLI 2 or 3 top Graphics Cards and be able to overclock them,

I would like it to be silent or at least have a silent/fanless mode.

I also  want it to be as efficient as possible and because of that I want it to be gold efficiency or better.

I don't care about monitoring software like Corsair Link, if the unit has it I may or may not install the software.

I don't care about make or model, I just want it to be a very good and reliable unit that I can leave my computer on for months without an issue.

It cannot cost anymore than $250, and I would prefer if it costs less that $200 but honestly over 15 years, it is less than 5c per day.

I would like to buy the Supply from PCCG since I am going to buy other stuff and I don't want to spend an extra $15 on postage.

I was looking at the:

XFX XTR 750W which is $149 but it is classed a tier 2 supply and it only has a 5 year Warranty  

Seasonic X 750 which is $229 and is classed as a tier 1 supply and it has a 7 year Warranty.

Corsair HX750i which is $235 Platinum efficiency, classed as a tier 1 and has a 10 Year Warranty.

Seasonic XP760 which is $239, Platinum efficiency, classed as a tier 1 and has a 7 year Warranty.

The real question is, how likely is the XFX XTR going to fail within the 15 years I am planning to use it, and is it worth spending the extra money on a better and higher efficiency supply.

why are you spending so much money for 750w get this for the same money and it will last for more time

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220p21200x1 and even now ypu cant use that psu for sli for highend graphics card

8 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

The XFX XTR is a high-end Seasonic unit. It won't fail you anytime soon.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

2 minutes ago, courtiousdoge said:

why are you spending so much money for 750w get this for the same money and it will last for more time

op is in australia so prices are 50-100% more than in US

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

11 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Then I saw this thread and now reconsidering.

if you read my post, the g2 550w is actually safe compared to the superflower leadex it was based off of. from that, i can assume that the rest of the g2 series is perfectly fine and its a problem of low quality caps limited to only superflower psus, if not that particular model

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

You could save a bit of money by going for the RMx instead. It's based on the same platform as the HXi at a lower efficiency, without Corsair Link, and used a rifle bearing fan but has some improvement on the cables (v.sense wires and capacitors) that allow for better voltage regulation and ripple suppression.

The Seasonic G based XFX XTR is a solid, upper-mid range unit, if you are looking to save some money though. It may be on the loud side at mid to high loads though.

4 minutes ago, DrM said:

if you read my post, the g2 550w is actually safe compared to the superflower leadex it was based off of. from that, i can assume that the rest of the g2 series is perfectly fine and its a problem of low quality caps limited to only superflower psus, if not that particular model

1 minute ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

yeah