Upgrade 2cents please

bcp

Hey,

Im a couple weeks out from an upgrade on my iPhone 5s and it can't come soon enough. For background I'm a medical intern and am in and out of the hospital all day/everyday. This means lots of areas with wifi only, and poor cell reception, and other areas where its great. The last 2 months or so I've been getting to roughly 1pm (maybe 2) before my battery is completely bone dry. It's not an issue to charge, but with my crazy schedule its pretty inconvenient to leave my phone somewhere plugged in. I have a portable battery bank as well, but with all the other stuff I have in my pockets/bag it is annoying to have to resort to that (I frequently do anyways).

My question is now about the best choice for upgrading. I would prefer to stay away from the Phablet size phones. As I said pocket/lab coat space is at a premium and im scared that power walking down a hallway a huge phone like that would fall out of my pocket. My current options are

S7 (not edge) - AMOLED, Waterproofing, Gorilla Glass 4, wireless charging, better camera

S7 Edge - Same as above + bigger battery

HTC 10 (comes out next friday here) - Great audio, aluminium finish, USB type 3 charger, wireless charger, Image stabilization on front camera, ability to use SD card as internal memory (not just mass storage)

Wait til september for the iPhone 7 and suck it up. 

I realize that their are many pro's and cons to each which i sort of listed above. The edge has a bigger battery, but at the expense of being a significantly larger phone. And the iPhone 7 might as well be a year away at the rate my current phone is dying. I've playing around with the Samsung S7 at my local mobile dealer (Bell) and I like it, but since the HTC 10 isn't out yet it's hard to get an opinion on it. I was hoping that some people here might have some insight on the overall battery life of the S7, and maybe the HTC 10 if their are some early copies out there. I'm not super concerned about the cost as a factor, basically just want a phone that can last through the day (and more hopefully) using the apps I need for work (uptodate etc). 

Just want to add in, I have read many reviews; anandtech, engadget etc on both devices, but they seem to flip flop back and forth. Makes me feel like that they are close enough there is no difference. I have to think the AMOLED would count for at least something over HTC, but it doesnt seem it. 

Anyways, sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any help!

4 minutes ago, bcp said:

Since you're coming from an iPhone anyway, id suggest waiting for the 7.. or heck you could get the cheaper 6s once the 7 is released, because the 6s is already crazy fast, has an excellent camera, not so bad battery life, and a respectable screen too. And updates are guaranteed for a couple more years at least. 

Not a fanboy, just thinking practically. But personally id just take a Nexus

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler

I should add in that this is my first (and only) iPhone that I have ever owned. I have never really been a 'fanboy' and have no overwhelming allegiance to them. At the time when upgrading I was most concerned with having a phone that could be easily used with one hand, and I had just bought a Macbook Air for ridiculous battery life while in class/library all day. 

Aside from that @I am an SSD what makes you recommend the Nexus over Samsung/HTC?

2 minutes ago, bcp said:

I should add in that this is my first (and only) iPhone that I have ever owned. I have never really been a 'fanboy' and have no overwhelming allegiance to them. At the time when upgrading I was most concerned with having a phone that could be easily used with one hand, and I had just bought a Macbook Air for ridiculous battery life while in class/library all day. 

Aside from that @I am an SSD what makes you recommend the Nexus over Samsung/HTC?

Id take a Nexus just because its very reliable. I have been using a Nexus 5 for over to years and it still runs like new. In fact battery life has improved because of Marshmallow updates. And ill probably be getting updates for the next two years too. Not bad for a 3 year old phone. 

On the other hand, the Samsung galaxy S5 , the s4, both of which owned by friends of mine, have significantly slowed down. They get very slow updates and it doesnt make much of a difference anyway. Another friend owns an HTC m8 and its even worse. horrible battery life, sluggish UI etc. And he uses his phone a lot, just like what you said you would be doing. 

The skins manufacturers put on vannila android is probably what does the damage though I cannot be really sure. Its bound to slow the phone down over time. Though I cannot speak for things like the S6 . Your mileage may vary, but I wouldnt take the risk. 

Nexuses dont have any features that you can boast about I guess, but it does well whatever its supposed to do. 

I only recommended an iPhone because you are upgrading from an iPhone anyway, and it has recieved fantastic reviews everywhere. 

i hope this helps

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler