stock cooler with 6600k?

Chris Yahya

Hello, sorry for my bad english.

i wanted to upgrade my PC to 6600K.

can my old cooler (sandy bridge) attached to 6600k?

does it can cool it ?

i dont do overclock for temporary, while investing my money to buy liquid radiator cooler.

if it not, can DeepCool Gammaxx 200T work well?

thanks!

a GeForce GTX series 970 user.

Agree with above really, and why go for stock cooler on a K chip anyway? the whole point of buying a K chip is to overclock it... if you're not into overclocking then just get the non-k chip and a non-OC motherboard and save some money, also you get a stock cooler with the non-k version too :)

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

10 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Just get a 212 evo or H7 or Dark rock pro

And then save money for a good Liquid cooler or something

I don't understand spending 100.00+ on AIO when you could get an I7 for that price with a higher out the box clock

For reference, running a 212 Evo on my 6600k OC to 4.7ghz staying under 60c under load. Cool and quiet.

Would not recommend stock cooler even if you could fit it in the socket.

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

2 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

Agree with above really, and why go for stock cooler on a K chip anyway? the whole point of buying a K chip is to overclock it... if you're not into overclocking then just get the non-k chip and a non-OC motherboard and save some money, also you get a stock cooler with the non-k version too :)

as i said, for temporary i dont overclock my 6600k (until got new cooler)...so does it can work ? I will run it at standard speed (as 6600)

6 hours ago, Chris Yahya said:

as i said, for temporary i dont overclock my 6600k (until got new cooler)...so does it can work ? I will run it at standard speed (as 6600)

Yeah, it'll run fine, just temps will be higher...  But for $30 or so I would just get a 212 EVO or similar and see how that will do for overclocking.

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

If you use the stock cooler, you may be able to OC a bit, but it will run hot and (more annoyingly) loud. This is because you have one very small (~90 mm) fan doing all the work to move enough air through the heatsink, which will mean the fan blades are running at high RPMs. If you can't afford to spend more than about $50 on a decent air or water cooler, you can't afford to OC. Simple.

(Note: I do not consider the Cooler Master 212 EVO worthy of OCing. I have one on my current rig and can't get a stable OC more than ~150 mHz above stock. And even then, the CPU fan gets stupid loud. If you could find a used Noctua NH-D15, that would work.)

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

6 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

Yeah, it'll run fine, just temps will be higher...  But for $30 or so I would just get a 212 EVO or similar and see how that will do for overclocking.

hmmm 212 evo. i'll consider.

2 hours ago, Qub3d said:

If you use the stock cooler, you may be able to OC a bit, but it will run hot and (more annoyingly) loud. This is because you have one very small (~90 mm) fan doing all the work to move enough air through the heatsink, which will mean the fan blades are running at high RPMs. If you can't afford to spend more than about $50 on a decent air or water cooler, you can't afford to OC. Simple.

(Note: I do not consider the Cooler Master 212 EVO worthy of OCing. I have one on my current rig and can't get a stable OC more than ~150 mHz above stock. And even then, the CPU fan gets stupid loud. If you could find a used Noctua NH-D15, that would work.)

yeah i know stock cooler cant keep 6600k cooled when in OC. this happen because my budget is nearly used all for computer upgrades, so i decided to use it and dont oc it until got better cooler.

wait... noctua NH-DH5? it looks hella big. someone said 6600k metal plate is thin and there is case his/her 6600k bend because the big-ass cooler. is it true?

well my future upgrades i think i'll get Corsair H80i liquid cooler (i'm using corsair spec 01 cases, and h80i is supported)

17 minutes ago, Chris Yahya said:

yeah i know stock cooler cant keep 6600k cooled when in OC. this happen because my budget is nearly used all for computer upgrades, so i decided to use it and dont oc it until got better cooler.

wait... noctua NH-DH5? it looks hella big. someone said 6600k metal plate is thin and there is case his/her 6600k bend because the big-ass cooler. is it true?

well my future upgrades i think i'll get Corsair H80i liquid cooler (i'm using corsair spec 01 cases, and h80i is supported)

Noctua builds one of, if not the best fans and coolers available. The NH-D15 will sometimes beat out the H110 (two steps above the H80) in terms of heat under load (source: Luke's benchmarks

Regarding the bending concerns, the mounting hardware supplied by noctua transfers any of the torque caused by the heatsink through the mounting screws directly into the backplate motherboard, but not the chip itself. Really, anything not zip-tied to the motherboard will do that if installed correctly, that's the way intel/amd design their mounting solutions. According to TweakTown the cooler is 1320 grams. That is significant weight, but the 212 isn't exactly a helium balloon, either. 

The 212 is a good option. I like the NH-D15 (I'm gonna use it next) because it is quiet and really good at cooling. But yeah, its huge and heavy.

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

8 hours ago, Chris Yahya said:

8 hours ago, Qub3d said:

Noctua builds one of, if not the best fans and coolers available. The NH-D15 will sometimes beat out the H110 (two steps above the H80) in terms of heat under load (source: Luke's benchmarks

Regarding the bending concerns, the mounting hardware supplied by noctua transfers any of the torque caused by the heatsink through the mounting screws directly into the backplate motherboard, but not the chip itself. Really, anything not zip-tied to the motherboard will do that if installed correctly, that's the way intel/amd design their mounting solutions. According to TweakTown the cooler is 1320 grams. That is significant weight, but the 212 isn't exactly a helium balloon, either. 

The 212 is a good option. I like the NH-D15 (I'm gonna use it next) because it is quiet and really good at cooling. But yeah, its huge and heavy.

Yeah, I have an NH-D15 and it is BIG!, but as above mentions is one of the best air coolers around. I have mine set to ramp up fan speeds when it needs to, but even if I set it on full speed it's still not a massive noise coming from it or anything, but to be completely honest I have never had to set my fans on full, it cools more than adequately... I have tested temps when set on various levels and there's practically no change from just leaving it to ramp up when it needs to. When I have it set for normal use, ramp up, I can't even hear it from right beneath the desk where I sit... especially not over the case fans (yeah I need to change them)... If I have my computer sound on for watching videos or anything I can't hear the fans at all, not even the case fans. Anyway, as for the mounts, they are pretty much perfect... I've had mine mounted for over 18 months now. Very nice hardware design by Noctua, and considering the massive heatsink comes with mounting brackets for AMD and Intel CPUs, and if a newer socket comes out that you want to mount these to that won't fit with the hardware you already have, Noctua will send you out a new mounting solution if you ask them... plus you get 2 great fans and some PWN splitters/noise reduction cables that alone are approx £40 worth, then it's the best purchase I have ever made :)

Just FWIW, but at the moment I don't have my OC turned on and am just browsing the web and have a few programs open running various things, but nothing major.. I'm pretty much idling and the ambient temp here is approx 18C and the hottest core is showing approx 22/23C and the coolest is showing approx 19/20. If you're interested in knowing more just ask me, I can easily set my OC on if you want me to give that a test too, as I can't remember the figures right now, but believe I get approx 62-65C when using AIDA64 in stability testing in OC.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini