Need Help With Internet

MeetMyBlades

I moved into a new house that was built without any wired internet ports throughout the house, So my desktop in my room has to be converted to a wireless format. The problem is my GPU covers my PCI-e x1.

So I have a few questions. Can I use an old router with wireless capabilities to convert a wireless signal into a wired signal? And I saw a normal PCI wireless adapter, but it had a short prong, long prong, short prong. I'm moving to my dads' house in 2 months so spending lots of money would be pointless. If you have suggestions/questions, please respond.

1 minute ago, MeetMyBlades said:

Can I use an old router with wireless capabilities to convert a wireless signal into a wired signal?

Yes, if it supports "client bridge" mode or similar.  Or can be flashed to firmware that does.   This is actually a very desirable thing to do if you can.

2 minutes ago, MeetMyBlades said:

And I saw a normal PCI wireless adapter, but it had a short prong, long prong, short prong.

Maybe that's a 64-bit PCI-X adapter?  Post a pic and we'll be able to tell you "for sure".

There's powerline solutions as well.  But seriously, if you have a wireless access point that can be configured in client bridge mode kicking around, that seems to be the most logical thing to do.

4 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

Yes, if it supports "client bridge" mode or similar.  Or can be flashed to firmware that does.   This is actually a very desirable thing to do if you can.

Maybe that's a 64-bit PCI-X adapter?  Post a pic and we'll be able to tell you "for sure".

There's powerline solutions as well.  But seriously, if you have a wireless access point that can be configured in client bridge mode kicking around, that seems to be the most logical thing to do.

Do I need two wireless access points that support it, or only one?

Just one, technically.  The one you want to act as the client. 

You only need the one. The access point that sends the signal doesn't need to support anything special, but the router receiving the signal needs to support wireless bridge mode. If it's not in the original firmware, check to see if DD-WRT is available for the one you have.

4 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

You only need the one. The access point that sends the signal doesn't need to support anything special, but the router receiving the signal needs to support wireless bridge mode. If it's not in the original firmware, check to see if DD-WRT is available for the one you have.

If the "main" AP has very fancy security features (ie: is an expensive Cisco configured for that), then it might require some tweaking.  But on consumer grade stuff, no, just hook up a client bridge-configured AP, make sure its associated properly, and away you go!

33 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Can you point me in the direction of a cheap bridge router? I can seem to be finding any.

7 minutes ago, MeetMyBlades said:

Can you point me in the direction of a cheap bridge router? I can seem to be finding any.

They're typically not marketed as wireless bridge routers, as it's just a mode to put the router in, rather than being a key feature. 

Have a look at some cheap routers and have a look through their product description and manual to see if they have a wireless bridge mode. 

Have you considered using powerline as an alternative? It's often less of a hassle to get working and can offer good speeds. 

2 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

They're typically not marketed as wireless bridge routers, as it's just a mode to put the router in, rather than being a key feature. 

Have a look at some cheap routers and have a look through their product description and manual to see if they have a wireless bridge mode. 

Have you considered using powerline as an alternative? It's often less of a hassle to get working and can offer good speeds. 

I have two old routers next to me, both plugged in on top of my computer. When I go to CMD for a default gateway I don't get anything. How do I configure it? Sorry, I'm more of a hardware guy.

35 minutes ago, MeetMyBlades said:

I have two old routers next to me, both plugged in on top of my computer. When I go to CMD for a default gateway I don't get anything. How do I configure it? Sorry, I'm more of a hardware guy.

Solved the problem, Plugged it into a normal PCI instead of the PCI e x1 I thought it had to go in. Thanks for the help anyways!!