What's with all of the Core15 WU?

I just got my PC back together thursday. I had to fix a USB controller, so I decided to change the thermal paste while I was at it. Now, I've noticed my PPD plummit. 15-20k instead of 35k... Why do these WU's cause so much loss in PPD? Happy Folding!

Come fold while not gaming! http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/37-foldinghome-boinc-and-coin-mining/

Gaming Rig: i7-9700k 5GHz all core, GTX 1070, 16GB TridentZ, Buncha ssds...

Stream Machine: R7 1700, GTX 660 (lol), 16GB Corsair Somethingoranother, 120 GB SSD i've had since 2012. 

Mobile Workstation: MSI-ALPHA :R7 3750H, RX 5500M, 16GB of some ram, 500GB SSD.

There really nothing with them per say - just everyone has been Folding on the Core17 with the beta flag, most are used up, so we are back to seeing more Core 15 and 16 units. Yep, these WU's do put more of a hit on your GPU - not as optimized for OpenCL as the Core 17 were. Least  you go from 35 to 15-20. My 780 goes from 150K to about 40-60k at times. :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

No a core15 project is more optimized for AMD cpu's gpu's, and a core17 project is more optimized for Intel Nvidia drivers. somethimes you will get them but not that often.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

No a core15 project is more optimized for AMD cpu's gpu's, and a core17 project is more optimized for Intel Nvidia drivers. somethimes you will get them but not that often.

"AMD cpu's gpu's"

what?

core15 is a gpu work unit and it's certainly NOT optimized for AMD cards.

I mean seriously, do you come to these forums and make stuff up?

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

Are you guys trying to say I5's and I7's?

no

@natkoui

"AMD cpu's gpu's"

what?

euhm i meant only  GPU's

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

euhm i meant only  GPU's

Core 15's suck more on AMD GPUs... *slow clap* Glad there are a ton of knowledgeable members to prove you wrong.

Also, The GPUs aren't possessing anything... so please don't use an apostrophe 

Come fold while not gaming! http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/37-foldinghome-boinc-and-coin-mining/

Gaming Rig: i7-9700k 5GHz all core, GTX 1070, 16GB TridentZ, Buncha ssds...

Stream Machine: R7 1700, GTX 660 (lol), 16GB Corsair Somethingoranother, 120 GB SSD i've had since 2012. 

Mobile Workstation: MSI-ALPHA :R7 3750H, RX 5500M, 16GB of some ram, 500GB SSD.

i am only saying wat i am reading of a other forum.. where can you read all of the faq's of the core projest and drivers?

i am only saying wat i am reading of a other forum.. where can you read all of the faq's of the core projest and drivers?

link to the topic on the forum you gathered that knowledge? or will you just stop posting every time someone asks you to back your claims?

@natkoui

got that backwards there mate

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Are you guys trying to say I5's and I7's?

They are different generations of working units for folding at home, core 17 is the newest.

And can we all watch the tone! Sometimes we all make mistakes. Instead of coming down on another user, politely correcting them and moving on would be the preferred route! We all have to learn...

"AMD cpu's gpu's"

what?

Core 15's suck more on AMD GPUs... *slow clap* Glad there are a ton of knowledgeable members to prove you wrong.

Also, The GPUs aren't possessing anything... so please don't use an apostrophe 

link to the topic on the forum you gathered that knowledge? or will you just stop posting every time someone asks you to back your claims?

http://fahwiki.net/index.php/Cores

This is an explanation of all the type of Cores within the FAH project.

The Core15 series is based on the NVidia chipset and really takes advantage of Cuda. Hence, AMD tank on this series

The Core16 series is based, again, on the NVidia chipset. However, they added some basic OpenCL support. AMD still tank on this, but no quite as hard.

This was the main reason NVidia cards have been so popular.

Now, we get to the Core17 series. Specifically designed to address the OpenCL issues of Core16. And they did it. This series pretty much brings AMD and NVidia in line with each other.

(something else to add to the FAQ now...) :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

And can we all watch the tone! Sometimes we all make mistakes. Instead of coming down on another user, politely correcting them and moving on would be the preferred route! We all have to learn...

You are right, but without a link/source it just seems like a troll. And it's not like it's the first time it happened which is what actually made me respond like that.

@natkoui

http://fahwiki.net/index.php/Cores

This is an explanation of all the type of Cores within the FAH project.

The Core15 series is based on the NVidia chipset and really takes advantage of Cuda. Hence, AMD tank on this series

The Core16 series is based, again, on the NVidia chipset. However, they added some basic OpenCL support. AMD still tank on this, but no quite as hard.

This was the main reason NVidia cards have been so popular.

Now, we get to the Core17 series. Specifically designed to address the OpenCL issues of Core16. And they did it. This series pretty much brings AMD and NVidia in line with each other.

(something else to add to the FAQ now...) :)

Maybe my memory gone faulty today (been helping in my town heritage festival today so I'm a bit worn out) but I do believe that Core 16 is strictly for AMD/ATI gpu and Core 15 is strictly for Nvidia.  ;)  

*or at least in all the years of folding that I've seen, I haven't notice Core 16 WU's running on Nvidia cards and Core 15 running on AMD cards. Maybe i've just turned a blind eye too it all. lol.*

Mainly I only mention this because one of Core 17 major points was that it could "run on both gpu brands" where as other cores in the past had to be built specifically for a brand of gpu's (or the cores had to have redundant and troublesome sections of code in it to run on different brands of gpu's).

http://folding.typepad.com/news/2013/03/introducing-foldinghome-core-17-gpu-zeta-core.html

A single unified core now runs both NVIDIA and AMD cards

Before we had two development branches for NVIDIA and AMD cards. It was a difficult and cumbersome task to debug and maintain. We couldn’t easily mix runs and gens produced by different GPU types. Now, using OpenCL, a single core supports not only AMD and NVIDIA, but theoretically any OpenCL-capable device.

Although I do see the confusion because of that wiki you listed.....

It certainly needs be updated heavily to explain that as the way it's currently laid out... make it look like the older cores were made for both gpu's when they weren't (Maybe at Apha and/or Closed-beta level were we don't know what there doing at Stanford but not on the public or open-beta level that I can re-call.)

Well I guess you could say that core 11 worked on both AMD/ATI cards and Nvidia before Core 17......

Although Core 11 was really 2 different cores in 1 as there was a section of code for Nvidia and another section for AMD/ATI cards. One side used cuda and the other side used the BrookGPU language (what was being used on ATI cards before openCL).

This is drastically different from how Core 17 works as it's 1 code for all cards as it uses OpenCL which is supported on both (and has potential to run on other OpenCL enable hardware as well). 

A bit more info about brookGpu language here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BrookGPU

If anyone think that Core 11 might of been a program trouble shooting nightmare, It was....There was time's where WU was trying to access stuff for the wrong card and it would crash the core or EUE the WU (running on nvidia card and attempt to access exclusive ATI stuff.)

it's "one of" the reason why we have 2 different cores afterwards to help the trouble shooting (cant find the F@H forum post about this topic from the F@H team directly but it was an interesting read back then). 

Hope this clears some confusion :)

Yes, I thought that was weird about the Core16 - but it does look to be coded for both AMD and NVidia based on the instruction sets - but maybe they only release it for AMD. :)

And I could swear I have had Core15 on my 6870's... course with 12 GPU's floating around, things start to blend in. :)

my ppd dropped from 2-2.2k to 1.7k to as bad as 700 sometimes O.o

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

my ppd dropped from 2-2.2k to 1.7k to as bad as 700 sometimes O.o

my ppd tanked as well

other way around. core_17 is openCL only. core_15 is ooooolllllllddddd... and not for amd at all. folding on my 8350 and 7970 gets me ~100k ppd est, but I don't fold at full all day.

Former Teksyndicate Forum Moderator, IT student

my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/FnC