When PC is booting, fans seem to run at full power & v.loud

Cythraul

Hiya, so for a few months now, in my room my partner's PC and mine seem to have some weird fan issue where, when powering up the PC one of the fans go INSANE. Like, extremely loud for a good few minutes then it begins to settle down. Both of our fans that do this are different models to each other, however his is connected via 3-pin and mine via molex. So what could be the issue here? What seems to cause this? Because this isn't the first time I had this issue and these fans are relatively new! (if there's any possible fix in the BIOS maybe?) thank you :P

Student Life Build Yo: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i5-3350p, ASRock H61M-VG4, Sapphire Nitro R9 380x

12GB DDR3-1333, Corsair CX600, SanDisk 120GB SSD, Asus Xonar DGX, Corsair 200R, Headphones: Takstar HI 2050.

~First PC Build!~

Not sure entirely but if your fan is connected to molex then it will run at 100% constantly as it has no input from the PC. 

1 minute ago, daniielrp said:

Not sure entirely but if your fan is connected to molex then it will run at 100% constantly as it has no input from the PC. 

Maybe it could be the cause of it? Thing is though after a good few minutes, it goes back to normal speed, so you can barely hear it and I assume that's normal, I just wondered why it goes insane when booting up, maybe because it draws too much power?

Student Life Build Yo: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i5-3350p, ASRock H61M-VG4, Sapphire Nitro R9 380x

12GB DDR3-1333, Corsair CX600, SanDisk 120GB SSD, Asus Xonar DGX, Corsair 200R, Headphones: Takstar HI 2050.

~First PC Build!~

Are you two are running the same motherboard? I had that problem, with a motherboard giving full power to all fans, until it loaded itself up. (about 3-5 secs while booting)

Budget Rig "Curable":     | FX 6300 @4.5Ghz | Asus R9 270x | Asus Crosshair IV Extreme | 16GB HyperX Beast | 120GB PNY SSD

Tablet "Buddy":                 Trekstor Wintron 10.1|

I know my brothers gigabyte mobo runs the fans at max for a few seconds on startup. Don't think there's really a way to change it.

3 minutes ago, Rodniz said:

Are you two are running the same motherboard? I had that problem, with a motherboard giving full power to all fans, until it loaded itself up. (about 3-5 secs while booting)

Nope, i'm running an ASRock H61M-VG4, and I think my partner uses an MSi motherboard

~First PC Build!~

25 minutes ago, Cythraul said:

Maybe it could be the cause of it? Thing is though after a good few minutes, it goes back to normal speed, so you can barely hear it and I assume that's normal, I just wondered why it goes insane when booting up, maybe because it draws too much power?

Could be giving it full power at start and then settling but it is is weird as the fans have to be connected to the mobo or fan controller in order for them to be 'smart' and respond to temps/software telling them to speed up/slowdown. 

1 minute ago, daniielrp said:

Could be giving it full power at start and then settling but it is is weird as the fans have to be connected to the mobo or fan controller in order for them to be 'smart' and respond to temps/software telling them to speed up/slowdown. 

Hmm, yeah I suppose it could just be something our PC's do, though it does get me paranoid because I feel like it's damaging them, which it might be i'm not sure, they seem to work well a few minutes into boot just when starting up its a bit iffy

~First PC Build!~

3 minutes ago, Cythraul said:

Hmm, yeah I suppose it could just be something our PC's do, though it does get me paranoid because I feel like it's damaging them, which it might be i'm not sure, they seem to work well a few minutes into boot just when starting up its a bit iffy

It shouldn't damage them as they will only run as fast as they are rated for and if it's only for a few mins it will hardly affect their lifespan. 

Though it it might be worth looking into a fan controller or hooking them up to the mobo if you want better control over them :) 

4 minutes ago, daniielrp said:

It shouldn't damage them as they will only run as fast as they are rated for and if it's only for a few mins it will hardly affect their lifespan. 

Though it it might be worth looking into a fan controller or hooking them up to the mobo if you want better control over them :) 

Ah thats good then :D I might need to add that to my buy list, I am starting work very soon and need to upper my system a little bit, so I will definitely consider one of them. Thanks ^^

~First PC Build!~

Thats part of normal POST testing. Mobo will tell everything connected to it to power to full. That way it knows if something isn't working. Then BIOS control and later OS controlled things kick in.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Thats part of normal POST testing. Mobo will tell everything connected to it to power to full. That way it knows if something isn't working. Then BIOS control and later OS controlled things kick in.

Ohhh, that must be why then. Though my fans never used to go that loud, so maybe it's just something that happens overtime?

~First PC Build!~

45 minutes ago, Cythraul said:

Ohhh, that must be why then. Though my fans never used to go that loud, so maybe it's just something that happens overtime?

I'm not sure. Your PCs fans should run full speed all the time since they are connected to molex. However, you might hear GPU fans or even PSU fan.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv