Hard driving clicking noise - is it dying?

BluPaperclip
Go to solution Solved by scottyseng,
2 minutes ago, BluPaperclip said:

Do you mean the advanced tests? If so, it says it could erase the data or make the drive unusable, how likely is this?

It's called long generic, sorry. It takes a long time though.

My 2TB Seagate Barracuda of 3/4 years has recently started making a weird noise. I tried recording it with my phone but my phone is, to say the least, terrible at recording. The noise kinda goes like this: "click click ... click click ... click click ... click click". Usually, the noise stops when idle and gets louder and quicker when under heavy load (e.g. running sony vegas and exporting video onto it). I can run any software to try to analyse it. 

i5 6600K @ 4.4GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240M (GC Extreme Thermal Compound) / Asus Maximus VIII Gene / 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2400 / 240GB SanDisk SSD Plus & 2TB SeaGate Barracuda HDD / EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 / XFX XTR 750W 80+ Gold  / Fractal Design Node 804                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Total: £1042.31

4 minutes ago, BluPaperclip said:

My 2TB Seagate Barracuda of 3/4 years has recently started making a weird noise. I tried recording it with my phone but my phone is, to say the least, terrible at recording. The noise kinda goes like this: "click click ... click click ... click click ... click click". Usually, the noise stops when idle and gets louder and quicker when under heavy load (e.g. running sony vegas and exporting video onto it). I can run any software to try to analyse it. 

If it 

A) Is getting enough power

B) Isn't sitting at a weird angle

Then yes, it's probably dying. Back it up bro

Almost as cool as my temps  

2 minutes ago, Benergy said:

If it 

A) Is getting enough power

B) Isn't sitting at a weird angle

Then yes, it's probably dying. Back it up bro

Because of my case (Fractal Design Node 804) it is suspended in mid air.

Ninja edit:
I found this on google, this is basically my setup but with 1 drive:

Fractal-Design-Node-804-Install-psu-645x529.jpg

i5 6600K @ 4.4GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240M (GC Extreme Thermal Compound) / Asus Maximus VIII Gene / 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2400 / 240GB SanDisk SSD Plus & 2TB SeaGate Barracuda HDD / EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 / XFX XTR 750W 80+ Gold  / Fractal Design Node 804                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Total: £1042.31

1 minute ago, BluPaperclip said:

Because of my case (Fractal Design Node 804) it is suspended in mid air.

If you set it somewhere horiztonally, does it still click

Almost as cool as my temps  

Just now, Benergy said:

If you set it somewhere horiztonally, does it still click

Will try that, probably tomorrow though because I'm doing homework due tomorrow

Back it up just to be safe. It's always nice to have a back up drive that is connected to your computer only when you do a backup

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))

16 hours ago, BluPaperclip said:

~snip~

Hello :)

A few tips from me in such situations:

- First of all - create backups of all your important data. These can be symptoms of the drive about to fail and you don't want to lose important data.

- Second - Have in mind that if this is a hardware problem, any testing might further damage the drive before give you any answers to what is causing the clicks. 

- Third - using a tool from a manufacturer is a good idea as it can tell you if the drive is safe to store the data or not.

- Forth - checking the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status can easily give you more detailed information about the drive's condition. If you are not sure how to read it, feel free to post it here. 

- Fifth - I would start the troubleshooting process by testing the drive with other SATA and Power cables and possibly on a whole different computer, thus eliminating anything else as a potential cause of the problem and narrowing down the problem to the drive.

If you have any questions - feel free to ask :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

6 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

Hello :)

A few tips from me in such situations:

- First of all - create backups of all your important data. These can be symptoms of the drive about to fail and you don't want to lose important data.

- Second - Have in mind that if this is a hardware problem, any testing might further damage the drive before give you any answers to what is causing the clicks. 

- Third - using a tool from a manufacturer is a good idea as it can tell you if the drive is safe to store the data or not.

- Forth - checking the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status can easily give you more detailed information about the drive's condition. If you are not sure how to read it, feel free to post it here. 

- Fifth - I would start the troubleshooting process by testing the drive with other SATA and Power cables and possibly on a whole different computer, thus eliminating anything else as a potential cause of the problem and narrowing down the problem to the drive.

If you have any questions - feel free to ask :)

Captain_WD.

How do I read the S.M.A.R.T status?

1 hour ago, BluPaperclip said:

How do I read the S.M.A.R.T status?

Use something like Crystal Disk Info. It does sound like your drive is dying if it makes that sound while horizontal / not moving.

11 hours ago, BluPaperclip said:

~snip~

As @scottysengsuggested, the easiest way would be to use a third-party tool (like the one suggested) and see the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status. Check the link and post the status here if you have questions regarding it!

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

11 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

As @scottysengsuggested, the easiest way would be to use a third-party tool (like the one suggested) and see the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status. Check the link and post the status here if you have questions regarding it!

Captain_WD.

21 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Use something like Crystal Disk Info. It does sound like your drive is dying if it makes that sound while horizontal / not moving.

Took a screenshot, looks good. The noise seems to have died down in the last couple of days. I haven't been using that drive much though.
http://i.imgur.com/tXnrcpM.png

21 minutes ago, BluPaperclip said:

Took a screenshot, looks good. The noise seems to have died down in the last couple of days. I haven't been using that drive much though.
http://i.imgur.com/tXnrcpM.png

Hmm, it does look good. Other thing to be extra sure is to run the extended run test using Seatools to scan the drive.

6 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Hmm, it does look good. Other thing to be extra sure is to run the extended run test using Seatools to scan the drive.

Do you mean the advanced tests? If so, it says it could erase the data or make the drive unusable, how likely is this?

2 minutes ago, BluPaperclip said:

On 4/22/2016 at 8:13 PM, scottyseng said:

Thanks, will start that running and play a game on my SSD and report back when it's done

EDIT: It got a pass

On 22.04.2016 г. at 9:40 PM, BluPaperclip said:

~snip~

The drive does indeed look in a good shape. If the drive passes the long test too then it should be in a perfectly good condition. :)
Contacting the manufacturer's support should be the last thing to do if you are still worried about this drive. :)

Captain_WD.