CPU temps i7 4790k with Noctua and Hyper 212 Evo

Bobbyeagle

Hi guys,

I'm really sorry if you get a lot of these threads, but I've tried sorting this out on my own and am not sure if everything is OK.

I've got an i7 4790k running at stock clock speeds with a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo heatsink and a Noctua NF P12 fan.

I have a couple of issues, the first being speed, and the second being fan control.

1) Temps

I'm getting idle temperatures of around 25 to 30 degrees celsius (80 degrees fahrenheit). (It's about 25 degrees celsius where I am).

Running Prime95 on the 'Small FFTs' setting gives me temperatures of 90 to 100 degrees celsius (210 degrees fahrenheit), and I'm assuming the CPU thermal throttles at this temperature.

Running BurnIn gave max temps of about 50 degrees celsius but this was with about 25% CPU utilization.

This seems high. Is this normal? I've tried re-installing the heatsink using Arctic Silver thermal paste and using Linus Tech Tips videos as a guide as to how much paste to use (BB pellet sized blob).
Also it is worth noting that whilst running this test, I had the PC case open, allowing fresh air for the CPU.

2) Fan Speed

The Noctua NF P12 fan seems to run at full speed (1400rpm) all the time, despite being plugged into the 'CPU fan' input on my Gigabyte Z97X UD3H motherboard.

Surely this can't be right...? The stock Coolermaster Hyper 212 fan seemed to be controlled automatically...

It may be worth noting that my motherboard has the latest BIOS version offered by Gigabyte (F9?)

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks for the reply.

I just ran HeavyLoad x64 and got max temps of 80 degrees celsius at 100% utilization on all cores which seems a lot safer.

I have only the CPU fan and a rear exhaust fan with the side panel open when running these tests.

Could the lack of airflow be causing my higher temps?

Don't use prime. It will murder intel chips. 

Use aida

CPU: I7 5960X @4612 MHZ/1.325Vcore | Cooler: Full custom loop | Mobo: Asus X-99A | GPU: 2 EVGA 980 TI Classifieds | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GBs 3200 MHZ | Storage: Samsung SM951 512 GB M.2 Drive, Mushkin Eco2 512 GB SSD, Muskin Chronos 480 GB SSD | PSU: Corsair HX 1000i | Case: Fractal define R5 | Monitor: LG 34UC87M-B

17 minutes ago, Bobbyeagle said:

2) Fan Speed

The Noctua NF P12 fan seems to run at full speed (1400rpm) all the time, despite being plugged into the 'CPU fan' input on my Gigabyte Z97X UD3H motherboard.

Surely this can't be right...? The stock Coolermaster Hyper 212 fan seemed to be controlled automatically...

It may be worth noting that my motherboard has the latest BIOS version offered by Gigabyte (F9?)

Stock Hyper212 fan = 4-pin which is PWM-controlled

NF-P12 = 3-pin which is Voltage-controlled.

When setting up in your mother board, you have to specify that your CPU_FAN is on voltage control.

On the difference of PWM and voltage control, ask google.

HOWEVER: this will not fix your temps. Only proper fan control

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

Thanks Noyu. This has sorted my fan control query.

I've had to use the CPU_OPT fan input, as CPU_FAN doesn't support voltage fans on the z97x ud3h

Idle = normal

P95 = normal (That software won't cope well with Haswell and Devils Canyon CPUs)

Other stress tests = normal (212 Evo is small heatsink. 80C under load is still good.)

Besides what others have said. Gigabyte has really bad fan control option. And the fact that you are using 3pin for CPU cooling makes it worse. PWM fans work quite good there. But if you need to continue with 3pin with CPU cooler, you will need to make custom fan curve with Speedfan. Gigabytes own options for that (SIV and pre-made fan profiles) aren't enough.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv