Drone, Gaming laptop, or Desktop Rebuild?

TXshooter

Hey guys. I have about $800 saved up, and i'm debating on getting an alien-ware or an Acer gaming laptop, rebuilding my desktop, or getting a DJI Phantom 3 advanced. I pretty much know that the gaming laptop choice is redundant but i want the input. I really want to get into aerial cinematography, and i have read that the Phantom advanced is a good starter. I am also interested in doing PC gaming, but don't have a very good computer. What should i do?

16 minutes ago, cpuwaiy said:

save more money?

This, OP. 800 isn't much for a gaming laptop or desktop

(good for a drone tho, if you really need one)

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

800 dollars is a good amount for upgrading your pc but not enough to build a new one or get a gaming laptop ,but the money is good for a drone and could be use to get a lower end but still powerful gaming laptop 

9 hours ago, potatoproduction said:

800 dollars is a good amount for upgrading your pc but not enough to build a new one or get a gaming laptop ,but the money is good for a drone and could be use to get a lower end but still powerful gaming laptop 

800 is enough for a decent rig, i could see a 6600k/4670k paired with a 380/970 for that price range, maybe not ssd or the best cooling but can definitely game on it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As of the other options, i could see you getting a drone for that price but if you don't have a decent computer to edit probably 2k/4k footage i would see no use of getting the drone without a good pc.

and there is not that many good laptops around that price range (if you want to game on it).

VR

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

I would recommend a PC upgrade. Gaming Laptops are useless if you're not constantly on the move. A drone on the other hand may be a good hobby, but I would make sure that you actually want the drone before dropping a good chunk of money towards it. If you really think drones are your thing, then I suggest you rent a drone before buying it.

Adults are just kids with bigger wallets.

Put that money in a jar on top of your refrigerator and wait and see if Pascal/Polaris turn out to be any good.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

2 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Put that money in a jar on top of your refrigerator and wait and see if Pascal/Polaris turn out to be any good.

What is pascal or Polaris 

2 hours ago, J. Hammond said:

I would recommend a PC upgrade. Gaming Laptops are useless if you're not constantly on the move. A drone on the other hand may be a good hobby, but I would make sure that you actually want the drone before dropping a good chunk of money towards it. If you really think drones are your thing, then I suggest you rent a drone before buying it.

I have hade a few entry level drones. I really like to fly, and I want to get into areial cinematography.

2 minutes ago, TXshooter said:

What is pascal or Polaris 

Next gen video card architecture names. They should release within the next couple of months.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 minute ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Next gen video card architecture names. They should releases within the next couple of months.

Ok. I remember reading about pascal now.

4 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Next gen video card architecture names. They should release within the next couple of months.

So, I like drones and I already have a decent rig that can deal with minor video editing. Should I go for the drone?

9 minutes ago, TXshooter said:

I have hade a few entry level drones. I really like to fly, and I want to get into areial cinematography.

Oh, well if that's the case then the Phantom 3 would be a choice. I guess now it depends on whether you are happy with the computer you have now or if you want a better gaming experience.

PC Specs?

I paid less than 600 for mine. you can too

Xeon e5-2670, Intel DX79sr, 16gb g.skill Ares, evga sc 780ti, antec 750 80 plus gold, Phantek Entho pro case

2 hours ago, J. Hammond said:

Oh, well if that's the case then the Phantom 3 would be a choice. I guess now it depends on whether you are happy with the computer you have now or if you want a better gaming experience.

PC Specs?

Look at my page for my specs 

7 minutes ago, TXshooter said:

Look at my page for my specs 

Whoops, must have missed that.

A GT 740? Yeah, I can see why you'd want to upgrade. 

Before I get into prices, you are in the US, right?

Anyways, the Phantom 3 Advanced is $720 on Amazon, which is the cheapest I could find. That leaves $80-ish, but $80 is enough to get a used GTX 480 on Ebay, which isn't much worse than a GTX 660. Save another $20 and you could get a 580 which still trades blows with the 960 even today.

I am in the U.S., but I want a newer card. I just prefer to buy something new that to buy something old. And with the 740, it does everything I want it to do now. I am starting a gaming channel, and will do drone videos. I won't be doing any major video editing yet. So I think that I will go with the drone, and get upgrades later. Or should I do something else?

800$ isn't a whole lot. If you do decide to get a drone, make sure that you actually use it. I bought the parrot drone a few years back and i havent really touched in the past 2 years, i just kind of lost interest.

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

14 hours ago, TXshooter said:

I am in the U.S., but I want a newer card. I just prefer to buy something new that to buy something old. And with the 740, it does everything I want it to do now. I am starting a gaming channel, and will do drone videos. I won't be doing any major video editing yet. So I think that I will go with the drone, and get upgrades later. Or should I do something else?

At this point, I think you should continue saving up the money. There will be new hardware coming out within the next few months, and there might be some new drones as well.

Keep for now, see what else 2016 brings up.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are really into earial footage, I would buy a DJI Phantom 4K. The footage really looks amazing!

Did you already flew some drones?

If you really like drones, you should definetly buy one!