Do I need a headphone AMP?

Rami.

Hey guys, this is my first post, and I have an important question.. Which headphone Amp should I get?  I'm trying to decide between two (below), and I'm just not sure on which one to get

If you do have any suggestions otherwise please tell me so! I'm looking in a budget under $30. 

The headphones I will be using are the Audio Technica ATH-M50X headphones. I am looking for a good bass boost, and even better audio quality if that is possible. If you suggest any other headphones than those as I am planning to get them please tell me so too for under $125

Please don't give me an "its up to you and what you like more answer :)"! I would like you to tell me which one YOU would get!

M-audio: $29

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Bass-Traveler-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00X67G77O?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Fiio e6: $24

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E6-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B005HJWWW8/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1461024665&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=fiio+e6+headphone+amplifier

Thanks a bunch!

I think you need neither an AMP nor an amp. Not for the M50X.

Is this going to be plugged into a phone? Desktop? Laptop?

2 minutes ago, Rami. said:

Hey guys, this is my first post, and I have an important question.. Which headphone Amp should I get?  I'm trying to decide between two (below), and I'm just not sure on which one to get

If you do have any suggestions otherwise please tell me so! I'm looking in a budget under $30. 

The headphones I will be using are the Audio Technica ATH-M50X headphones. I am looking for a good bass boost, and even better audio quality if that is possible. If you suggest any other headphones than those as I am planning to get them please tell me so too for under $125

Please don't give me an "its up to you and what you like more answer :)"! I would like you to tell me which one YOU would get!

M-audio: $29

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Bass-Traveler-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00X67G77O?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Fiio e6: $24

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E6-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B005HJWWW8/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1461024665&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=fiio+e6+headphone+amplifier

Thanks a bunch!

The amp might give the headphones a bit more of a punch, but not necessarily more bass. It's not entirely necessary to get an amp unless you're really serious about audio. 

I'm not much of an audio guy but I've never had an amp and never had any desire for one.

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

Those headphones do not need an amp, they should run just fine from your PC and mobile devices.... also, what is your headphone perference, (open or closed back) and what are you planning to do with them, just music, music/movies and gaming, monitoring? You have a number of options in the 100-150 range....

The Black Friday Rig: 

[PCPartPicker part list](https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/QyvH8K)
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor] | $280.00 
**CPU Cooler** | [Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler] | $19.99 
**Motherboard** | [Gigabyte GA-Z170X-GAMING 6 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard] | $175.00 
**Memory** | [Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory] | $94.99 
**Storage** | [Corsair Force LE 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive] | $85.99 
**Storage** | [Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive] | $64.00 
**Video Card** | [Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card] | $319.99 
**Case** | [Corsair Carbide 400C ATX Mid Tower Case] | $89.00 
**Power Supply** | [Corsair CXM 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply] | $84.99 
**Operating System** | [Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit]| $109.00 
 | *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |
 | **Total** | **$1322.95**
 | Generated by [PCPartPicker](http://pcpartpicker.com) 2016-11-27 18:34 EST-0500 |

5 hours ago, RyanMacRocks said:

The amp might give the headphones a bit more of a punch, but not necessarily more bass. It's not entirely necessary to get an amp unless you're really serious about audio. 

I'm not much of an audio guy but I've never had an amp and never had any desire for one.

nope a amp won't change a thing unless he can't power them and if he cant power them he has some really shitty onboard and phone.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

22 hours ago, SSL said:

I think you need neither an AMP nor an amp. Not for the M50X.

Is this going to be plugged into a phone? Desktop? Laptop?

It will be used in both my PC, and phone. 

22 hours ago, CeremonialSnips said:

Those headphones do not need an amp, they should run just fine from your PC and mobile devices.... also, what is your headphone perference, (open or closed back) and what are you planning to do with them, just music, music/movies and gaming, monitoring? You have a number of options in the 100-150 range....

Closed typically because I do not want people to hear what I'm listening to.

The M50X indeed does NOT need an amp. 

HOWEVER, despite sounding pretty good in general, I find the Bass inn the M50X a bit lacking, so I paired them with a couple of Fiio DAC/Amp combos that have the bass boost options - the E10k and Q1 in particular, and it turns out better than I expected.

Both the Fiio 10k and Q1 are under your budget so perhaps you should check them out? Also, the Q1 is an actually portable device with battery in it so you can use with with your phone, I think the 10k is only for destop/laptop use though

5 hours ago, Ultragunner said:

HOWEVER, despite sounding pretty good in general, I find the Bass inn the M50X a bit lacking, so I paired them with a couple of Fiio DAC/Amp combos that have the bass boost options - the E10k and Q1 in particular, and it turns out better than I expected.

Both the Fiio 10k and Q1 are under your budget so perhaps you should check them out? Also, the Q1 is an actually portable device with battery in it so you can use with with your phone, I think the 10k is only for destop/laptop use though

An EQ would suffice.

6 hours ago, Ultragunner said:

I would not say they are light on bass.graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=4 

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

First of all, please pardon me for misreading the OP as I thought the budget for the amp alone was $125  haha

...Ehem...the bass is definitely there in the M50x, but it can use a bit of boost or EQ change, of course this might only apply to me.

In any cases, the Fiio E10k or the Q1 are great product for their price, you can have a bit more I often prefer to directly toggle the bass boost on the fly, rather than tinkering with EQ every time.

But yeah, perhaps the OP should play with the EQ first before getting any amp, the M50x should run fine without additional amp.

And for any headphones under $125, it's pretty hard to beat the M50x at that price, the only thing that comes to my mind is this

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHP9500-Precision-Over-ear-Headphones/dp/B00ENMK1DW?ie=UTF8&keywords=philips headphones&qid=1461155179&ref_=sr_1_5&s=electronics&sr=1-5

here is the review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aipXii-qWiQ

I personally also own these and can voucher for their sound quality, BUT I'm not so sure if the bass suit your taste since they are quite neutral (and being open back has some drawback as well)

And for any headphones under $125, it's pretty hard to beat the M50x at that price, the only thing that comes to my mind is this

I love it when people say this, because then I say "M40X" and their little minds are blown forever.

Should I make a list for you?

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

What do you all think about the sennheiser hd 598's ? should I try them for home-use only?

10 minutes ago, Rami. said:

What do you all think about the sennheiser hd 598's ? should I try them for home-use only?

As most would recommend, go with the Sennheiser HD 558s instead. Their sound signature is incredibly close to the 598s, without the inflated cost. Keep in mind, they are open back so they are not ideal for public use.

Also, remember that some of the suggestions we are providing, although having more accurate bass then your current headphones, will seem like less.

6 hours ago, SSL said:

I love it when people say this, because then I say "M40X" and their little minds are blown forever.

Well i never said "impossible" did I :). Sound quality and comfort wise,  there ARE other headphones that are better than the m50x (the Phillips above are among them,  IMHO at least) 

BUT, At $125 the M50x is still a pretty good deal, especially when they are very versatile with lots of features: good build quality,  lightweight &  fordable, detachable cable (and more than one are included), they can be used either as a portable or home use

6 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Should I make a list for you?

Please do, I am genuinely curious at this price range, since I only had previously ownes the M30x, M50x Sennheiser HD518,  HD598, Philips SHP9500, Fidelio L1, Shure Se215

Th

54 minutes ago, Rami. said:

As others have said, the HD558 are pretty close to the HD598, but fire away if you can find a pair at discounted price

would any of you say the sennheiser hd 558's are better than m50x's?

3 hours ago, Rami. said:

would any of you say the sennheiser hd 558's are better than m50x's?

yeah they are much better than the m50x, because they havve someething that is called a soundstage so the sound get a kind of 3d like feel and is easy to point out where the different things are. the hd 558 also has a bit higher sound quality and the highs are much better.

3 hours ago, Ultragunner said:

Please do, I am genuinely curious at this price range, since I only had previously ownes the M30x, M50x Sennheiser HD518,  HD598, Philips SHP9500, Fidelio L1, Shure Se215

good thing that you just can go and look in the pinned post at the 100$ range. I was once like you where I thought nothing could beat the m50, but then I got a pair of akg k612 pro and they showed me better highs, tighter bass(not more), better mids and how a soundstage really can bring music to life, all of that for 20$ less than the m50 in Denmark. Now every time I use my m50 I can just hear how bad the highs are.

Just because something doesn't have the signature you like it doesnt mean that they are worse headphones. You should look at the sound quality not the signature.

6 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

yeah they are much better than the m50x, because they havve someething that is called a soundstage so the sound get a kind of 3d like feel and is easy to point out where the different things are. the hd 558 also has a bit higher sound quality and the highs are much better.

good thing that you just can go and look in the pinned post at the 100$ range. I was once like you where I thought nothing could beat the m50, but then I got a pair of akg k612 pro and they showed me better highs, tighter bass(not more), better mids and how a soundstage really can bring music to life, all of that for 20$ less than the m50 in Denmark. Now every time I use my m50 I can just hear how bad the highs are.

Just because something doesn't have the signature you like it doesnt mean that they are worse headphones. You should look at the sound quality not the signature.

Would you recommend anything that would "enhance" my experience with the 558's if I went with it?

4 minutes ago, Rami. said:

Would you recommend anything that would "enhance" my experience with the 558's if I went with it?

What mobo do you have? The HD 558 are not bass headphones they are more neutral headphones than anything else. They have bass and all that but not bass boosted.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

What mobo do you have? The HD 558 are not bass headphones they are more neutral headphones than anything else. They have bass and all that but not bass boosted.

its an Asrock fm4+ extreme if i remember correctly

2 minutes ago, Rami. said:

its an Asrock fm4+ extreme if i remember correctly

That is a motherboard for older cpu's right? I cant really find anything on it xD Since you dont have that much money I would just EQ the headphones if you want to chance anything with them.

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

That is a motherboard for older cpu's right? I cant really find anything on it xD Since you dont have that much money I would just EQ the headphones if you want to chance anything with them.

...and so what if it's old-ish >:( all jokes aside though EQ? sorry i dont know what that is!

5 minutes ago, Rami. said:

...and so what if it's old-ish >:( all jokes aside though EQ? sorry i dont know what that is!

You can turn different things up, so if you want more focus on the bass and lower mids you can turn up the lower Hz up and change how the headphones sounds, but be awer, some headphones really only sound good when you dont try to change them with a EQ. It's been to long since I tried the HD 558, so I cant remember if they are some of them

asdf.png

3 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Again, I never said "nothing could beat the M50X" :D, what I meant was that it would be hard to find a pair of headphones at $125 that are so feature-rich: sound quality (albeit might not the best), build quality, portability (foldable!!!!), detachable cable. Of course, this only matters if the OP also intends to use his cans as a portable.

For home use only, everything else is as you have said, and I should really stop now before I look like a jerk :P