Which HDD(s) should I buy ?

Umang Goel

Just recently, I asked a question about HDD rpm and densities, getting that cleared, here is the main question :

Which HDD should I buy if I have : 

Case 1 : a large number of small files, say, 200,000 photos of 10 MB each = 2 TB

Case 2 : a small number of large files, say, 200 videos of 10 GB each = 2 TB

Ignoring price constraint, will I need two different HDDs for two different tasks to get both the tasks done at their best levels (meaning, fastest transfer) or any single one would do ?

i recommend WD Blacks if you're that keen on speed

but i would personally use WD Blue

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

13 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

i recommend WD Blacks if you're that keen on speed

but i would personally use WD Blue

But the speeds of blacks aren't that much faster although you do get black variants that are more than 1TB (rebranded greens don't count as blues as they are 5400rpm drives...so 1TB is the limit for blues...) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

7200rpm (ie: HGST "7" series) outperforms the 5400rpm drives (ie: HGST "5" series) on small file and more random I/O loads.  For video playback, there is very likely not to be any difference.

Then there is the whole question of what you really need.  If you're running a busy server that's hit by many users for the same files, with multiple people saving/retrieving stuff, then probably go with the 7200rpm drives (or better, or SSDs as Linus's company apparently has done for its video editing server).  But for just occasional use, the 5400rpm drives do offer some power savings. 

14 hours ago, Umang Goel said:

~snip~

Hey :)

For photos and videos you won't notice any difference in performance. Simple media files can be written and read quite easily by all HDD types. Once you transfer your files to the drive you won't see difference in working with each of them and the initial transfer speed difference won't be anything significant. I would recommend going with WD Blue for this type of usage as these drives are both inexpensive, use less energy and work more quiet while being able to easily handle such types of usages.

Feel free to ask questions if there are any!

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

8 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

Hey :)

For photos and videos you won't notice any difference in performance. Simple media files can be written and read quite easily by all HDD types. Once you transfer your files to the drive you won't see difference in working with each of them and the initial transfer speed difference won't be anything significant. I would recommend going with WD Blue for this type of usage as these drives are both inexpensive, use less energy and work more quiet while being able to easily handle such types of usages.

Feel free to ask questions if there are any!

Captain_WD.

Thanks a lot :)