Going From 1150 (4790K) To 1151 (6700K)?

I run an I7-4790K in my current rig and considered "upgrading" to the 6700K, but I decided not to because I didn't think that the very minor performance increase justified the £500+ cost. I may be completely wrong and there might be a good reason to upgrade but i personally don't see the point. What do you think? Is it worth it? Is it even any better?

Have a great day!

no reason to upgrade

at all

no argument can justify the price

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, _T3CHKN0_ said:

I run an I7-4790K in my current rig and considered "upgrading" to the 6700K, but I decided not to because I didn't think that the very minor performance increase justified the £500+ cost. I mayt be completely wrong and there might be a good reason to upgrade but i personally don't see the point. What do you think? Is it worth it? Is it even any better?

Have a great day!

nope. not worth it. spend your money somewhere else.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Just now, SeanAngelo said:

nope. not worth it. spend your money somewhere else.

I absolutely agree with you. Was just wondering what others thought.

4 minutes ago, _T3CHKN0_ said:

I absolutely agree with you. Was just wondering what others thought.

im certainly not saying its worth it but at least check out the playlist to see what you would gain.

2 minutes ago, NVIDIAIIAIAIAII said:

im certainly not saying its worth it but at least check out the playlist to see what you would gain.

Yeah, I mean there's no denying that it's slightly better. But I just don't think the price to swap is justified. I think most people would agree as well.

If you really want to waste money, can you buy me a GPU and SSD?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Just now, don_svetlio said:

If you really want to waste money, can you buy me a GPU and SSD?

I don't think you realized but I did say in the original post "I decided not to because I didn't think that the very minor performance increase justified the £500+ cost." I agree that it's a massive waste of money. I just wanted to see what other people thought,

Just now, _T3CHKN0_ said:

I don't think you realized but I did say in the original post "I decided not to because I didn't think that the very minor performance increase justified the £500+ cost." I agree that it's a massive waste of money. I just wanted to see what other people thought,

I still want a GPU :D

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Just now, don_svetlio said:

I still want a GPU :D

Haha. Unfortunately I don't have that money to spare either :).

No point at all.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

10 minutes ago, _T3CHKN0_ said:

Yeah, I mean there's no denying that it's slightly better. But I just don't think the price to swap is justified. I think most people would agree as well.

look at the crysis 3 video... i am not saying that you should upgrade but that video is worth checking out the gains are insane

On 17/04/2016 at 7:08 PM, NVIDIAIIAIAIAII said:

look at the crysis 3 video... i am not saying that you should upgrade but that video is worth checking out the gains are insane

Yeah that's a fair point... Over games in general and other tasks I just don't think it's good enough. It's still better and that's made obvious in the videos, but I just don't think it's enough of an increase in general for me anyway. But it's certainly better.

Just now, _T3CHKN0_ said:

Yeah that's a fair point... Over games in general and other tasks I just don't think it's good enough. It's still better and that's made obvious in the videos, but I just don't think it's enough of an increase in general for me anyway. But it's certainly better.

yeah i agree with you for sure, for most people upgrading from 4790k to 6700k is not worth it. i just thought that crysis 3 video was worth checking out as the gains can still be quite shocking

Just now, NVIDIAIIAIAIAII said:

yeah i agree with you for sure, for most people upgrading from 4790k to 6700k is not worth it. i just thought that crysis 3 video was worth checking out as the gains can still be quite shocking

Yeah most people think the same. Yeah you're right it was pretty surprising because it's a lot more than others.

It can't really be called a 500$ cost, if you sell your 4790k mobo and RAM.  I'm seriously considering upgrading soon since I've got a z97 classified that I am not in love with like I thought I'd be (got a killer deal), and people are still paying over 200$ used for them. A US eBay action for 4790k, z97 classified and my exact 16gb of RAM ended at over 700$ this month. 

Soo what would you all say if it was a little too no cost upgrade? I think I might actually be able to make money on it since I don't need such a fancy mobo

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

4 hours ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

It can't really be called a 500$ cost, if you sell your 4790k mobo and RAM.  I'm seriously considering upgrading soon since I've got a z97 classified that I am not in love with like I thought I'd be (got a killer deal), and people are still paying over 200$ used for them. A US eBay action for 4790k, z97 classified and my exact 16gb of RAM ended at over 700$ this month. 

Soo what would you all say if it was a little too no cost upgrade? I think I might actually be able to make money on it since I don't need such a fancy mobo

Well that is one good point... I didn't consider selling my current parts to be honest. I would say if it was near free I wouldn't say no but even in terms of performance upgrade it's not a huge difference. But to be fair they can't keep making huge upgrades forever I guess. I think I would upgrade if it was cheap though, partially because of the RGB motherboards because its impossible to find an razer green motherboard! I wouldn't want to sacrifice anything from my current rig though, I'd prefer to get the Z170 equivalents of my motherboard, RAM etc. I'd need to upgrade PSU as well, as my 650W would die with an OC 6700K + OC GTX 980... I'm gonna wait it out personally and see how it goes, if Z170 CPUs take over the market then I'll swap. But not yet anyway. 

On 17/04/2016 at 6:48 PM, Moonzy said:

no reason to upgrade

at all

no argument can justify the price

Only argument I can see is that atm, you can buy a 6700k for less than a 4790k, and people are still willing to pay that price for a second hand one. So you could sell the components, pick up the new ones, and lose very little money, but yeah, they difference is so small its not worth the effort.

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

The only tangible benefit you are receiving is from the onboard chipset and M.2 support for NVMe drives.

Well, I recently upgraded from a 2600k to a 6700k and I shelled out for the 950 Pro M.2 Is it fast? Sure is. But was it worth it?

No.