Most Ideal time to build a PC?

SirLeper
Go to solution Solved by Shahnewaz,
5 minutes ago, SirLeper said:

Goodness me, what is the roll over for new gen then? Every 2 quarters or something? Also, when would be the most stock for motherboards for the new gen to come? Just as an analogy, if the new 14nm cpu's were to come out next month. When could I expect all the motherboards from the major brands to release all their motherboards to accommodate the 14nm cpu, maybe 4 months after? 

Every year. For so long, newer generation products has been relatively uninteresting, since we didn't get any significant architectural overhaul (except Maxwell) and we didn't get a die shrink. But the coming generation is the first exception in a long time.

I'm pretty sure motherboards become available as soon as (or sooner than) new CPUs become available. :)

Basically the title, I'm wondering what is the most ideal time to build a PC (Month(s) of the year specifically) in terms of

- Newest gen products
- Most stock (Companies have released most of their line up for the new gen, motherboards, graphics cards etc)
- Cheapest prices (The prices of the new stock has come down to it's lowest and most consistent point, eg DDR4 was incredible expensive initially and now is much more affordable. Or GTX 980 Ti models being extremely expensive and have dropped a little, as per competitive prices of companies in competition)
- No need to worry about building a PC and then it immediately being obsolete, because the new gen graphics cards or CPU's just got released a mere month or 2 after you built the PC.

I'm not entirely sure if I've described what I mean, in terms of an ideal time to build a PC. Just generally, when the most stock for the current gen is out and they are at prices that will stay consistent until the following gen is released I guess. Sorry if I confused you, thanks for any help! I do live in Australia, if that changes anything :)

Just after they announce new graphics cards. CPU updates don't affect performance too much but new GPU's make everything fun and exciting.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

1 minute ago, m_tieu said:

Just after they announce new graphics cards

But doesn't the prices of the graphics change between when they initially sell and say maybe 2 or so months after they are released to the market?

Right after both a die shrink and an architecture overhaul is an ideal time. AMD's Zen CPU, Polaris GPUs and Nvidia's Pascal GPUs are such examples. Give or take 1-2 months after new stuff is released for prices to settle. ;)

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

1 minute ago, SirLeper said:

But doesn't the prices of the graphics change between when they initially sell and say maybe 2 or so months after they are released to the market?

Price of old cards might go down a bit if they are discontinued. New cards usually hold their price unless the competition releases something similar for less.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

1 minute ago, Shahnewaz said:

Right after both a die shrink and an architecture overhaul is an ideal time

So if you had estimate what months or quarters of any year I should build a new computer, what do you think would be a good time?

So if you had estimate what months or quarters of any year I should build a new computer, what do you think would be a good time?

It's hard to estimate without concrete information, because release dates could be anytime. We can only speculate, but 4th quarter 2016 should be the start of exiting times, as we get both, all new 14nm CPUs and GPUs by then. :D

Anything earlier, and I will be pleasantly surprised. ^_^

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

6 minutes ago, m_tieu said:

New cards usually hold their price unless the competition releases something similar for less.

Wouldn't competition always release something to compete both in price and performance?

Anything earlier, and I will be pleasantly surprised. ^_^

Would it be safe to say that if I were to build a PC, Q1 or Q2 or 2017 would be good in terms of the most stock to choose from and decent pricing of said stock?

Would it be safe to say that if I were to build a PC, Q1 or Q2 or 2017 would be good in terms of the most stock to choose from and decent pricing of said stock?

Yeah, I'd believe so. You could start building a bit earlier than that, but if you wait all the way till Q2 2017, then you might also see Big Pascal and Navi GPUs released, which could reduce the earlier released Polaris and Pascal GPUs' prices. ;)

then you might also see Big Pascal and Navi GPUs released, which could reduce the earlier released Polaris and Pascal GPUs' prices. ;)

Goodness me, what is the roll over for new gen then? Every 2 quarters or something? Also, when would be the most stock for motherboards for the new gen to come? Just as an analogy, if the new 14nm cpu's were to come out next month. When could I expect all the motherboards from the major brands to release all their motherboards to accommodate the 14nm cpu, maybe 4 months after? 

Every year. For so long, newer generation products has been relatively uninteresting, since we didn't get any significant architectural overhaul (except Maxwell) and we didn't get a die shrink. But the coming generation is the first exception in a long time.

I'm pretty sure motherboards become available as soon as (or sooner than) new CPUs become available. :)