Python Regular Expression Help.

zarrexx
Go to solution Solved by dannytech357,

This may be a little closer to what you want:

(M(?:r|rs|s)(?:\.?) (?:[A-Za-z\s]*?))(?:\s[a-z]|\n|$|\.)

It will also match Mr, Mrs, and Ms and read until it finds a space followed by a lowercase character, the end of the line, or the end of the string. It will match everything the way you wanted it to. I also added (?:\.?) to optionally match Mr., Mrs., and Ms., but you can remove that if you don't think you need that

To solve this problem I must use regular expressions, the example is given below. If the name starts with a "Mr", "Mrs", or "Ms" then all the proceeding capital words have to be included. Does anyone know the code for that? Thanks!

sample input:

Mr George Martin wrote Game of Thrones. The Lord of the Rings was written by Mr JRR Tolkien. Ms Enid Blyton wrote The Famous Five. Mr AA Milne wrote Winne-the-Pooh. Mr Robin Williams played Mrs Doubtfire. Mr Fred Martin Albert Finnegan did not write anything.

sample output:

Mr George Martin

Mr JRR Tolkien

Ms Enid Blyton

Mr AA Milne

Mr Robin Williams

Mrs Doubtfire

Mr Fred Martin Albert Finnegan

I only got this

^M(r|rs|s) ([A-Z].*)+$

It matches anything that starts with Mr, Mrs or Ms then a space, then a capital letter followed by 0 to unlimited other characters. That's where I got stuck. I don't know how to break out of that infinite character from the period when a space is the next character and match following words starting with a capital.

This may be a little closer to what you want:

(M(?:r|rs|s)(?:\.?) (?:[A-Za-z\s]*?))(?:\s[a-z]|\n|$|\.)

It will also match Mr, Mrs, and Ms and read until it finds a space followed by a lowercase character, the end of the line, or the end of the string. It will match everything the way you wanted it to. I also added (?:\.?) to optionally match Mr., Mrs., and Ms., but you can remove that if you don't think you need that

˙ǝɯᴉʇ ɹnoʎ ƃuᴉʇsɐʍ ǝɹɐ noʎ 'sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ oʇ ƃuᴉʎɹʇ ǝɹɐ noʎ ɟI