Brick unpatched iPhones through WiFi

niofalpha

http://www.redmondpie.com/wi-fi-networks-can-brick-pre-ios-9.3.1-devices-with-new-version-of-1970-bug/

To use Starbuck’s free Wi-Fi service, you’ll have to connect to a network called “attwifi”. But once you’ve done that, you won’t ever have to manually connect to a network called “attwifi” ever again. The next time you visit a Starbucks, just pull out your iPad and the device automatically connects.

This lack of any real authentication allows attackers to create a network with the name of one that is widely available in public hotspots, such as the “attwifi” example above. If broadcasted in a public arena, the likelihood is that some devices would have previously seen this network and would connect to it without fuss. The attackers can then “inspect, modify, or redirect any network traffic” for any connected devices.

This doesn't effect updated devices that have the time brick fix. This is dangerous, I know I'm not updated (past 8), so I'm gonna go through and forget public networks. I see no reason why people would do this rather than being a dick.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

For anyone too lazy to look. The exploit is basically just to run an open wifi network. Device connects, NTP traffic is redirected to a controlled service that tells the device it is locally 1970. This causes encryption certs on the device to stop working correctly, bricking the phone.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

In the comments in the article, someone suggests turning off the setting for Automatic Date and Time. Does that really fix this issue? 

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fKvV3C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 5820K | MSI X99S SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-2666mhz | EVGA Titan X Hybrid | Fractal Design Define R5 | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | Samsung 850-EVO Series 250GB SSD | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair AX860 | Acer Predator XB270HU | Corsair H100i GTX | Corsair K70 RGB w/Cherry MX Browns | Corsair M65 RGB | Audio-Technica ATH-M50X | Windows 10 |

@niofalpha No offense, but your news post is confusing and really doesn't do a good job of summarizing the issue. The title doesn't match your summary (No mention of "bricking" at all. I'd recommend adding some more detail so it's a better summary.

On Topic: Yeah that sucks. More reason people should keep their devices up to date, to get the latest security patches.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

That pretty scary, I would hate for that to happen especially on a 500+ dollar device. 

haha thats some top level trolling xD

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)