Which HDD's to AVOID

The Knome

Hi everyone.
Its getting time again I need to extend my storage in the pc and in this case I am looking for hard drives that are for backup.

Rather than saying recommend me a hard drive I am asking which I should avoid?
I remember there was a spate of HDD's that were dropping like flies at one point last year so with this being long term storage dont want to touch them on the off chance of loosing a lot of data.

Its not my fault I am grumpy, you try having a porcelain todger that's always hard! 

Toshiba.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

You're probably referring to the Backblaze article and their 3TB seagate drives. They were pulled from external drives and used in a harsher environment than the other drives which lead to misleading results. https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-for-q2-2015/

It's an interesting article but it isn't good to base reliability off of it. Take it with a heap of salt. 

It's also much easier to recommend good drives than to avoid bad ones. Drives often recommended as good will usually be a decent value as well and be widely available. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

generally speaking

used HDDs are the ones to avoid `-` at all cost

i would only buy WD HDDs, because im biased

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Samsung HDD's was great.

WD and Seagate are the only solid brands.

1 minute ago, King_Tuna said:

Samsung HDD's was great.

WD and Seagate are the only solid brands.

WD, Seagate and Hitachi actually. Hitachi just isn't pop, but they are solid.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Look at it from the other direction: assume that any drive will fail at some unknown time in the future. Plan for it in a suitable way, such as making sure you keep up to date with external backups. If you need more live redundancy look at raid 1 or similar, but that doesn't replace having backups.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Used hard drives .

Also , IDE drives , those tend to be a bit slow :D

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

I try to buy HGST, and failing that, Toshiba.  The WD premium seems not only to be unjustified, but Backblaze seems to have poorer overall results with the WDs than the HGSTs of all vintages.

Also, the HGSTs tend to come with firmware that plays well with RAID-5/6 in NAS configurations straight out of the box, while you have to pay extra for the WD "Red" or "Black" drives for that. 

15 hours ago, The Knome said:

~snip~

Hello :)

I'd consider @WoodenMarker's suggestion. Also, do have in mind that HDDs are mechanical units after all and failures do happen for one reason or another. This is why backups should be an essential part of anyone who is planning their storage configuration for important data. 

I would consider having the data on multiple places with the main one having some redundancy level (RAID for example). I would consider a NAS (like the WD My Cloud series) for the main storage place with often backups to external drives. This way you can retain your data regardless if a drive fails thus avoiding the risks of bad drive choices. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

On 14/04/2016 at 6:19 PM, WoodenMarker said:

You're probably referring to the Backblaze article and their 3TB seagate drives. They were pulled from external drives and used in a harsher environment than the other drives which lead to misleading results. https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-for-q2-2015/

It's an interesting article but it isn't good to base reliability off of it. Take it with a heap of salt. 

It's also much easier to recommend good drives than to avoid bad ones. Drives often recommended as good will usually be a decent value as well and be widely available. 

Actually the first time I have seen that article, I remember tech syndicate had a astonishing number of failures on a server (though damned if I can remember when, long term memories not time stamped).

HSGT I have never heard of until now, but will add them to the list of looking at. 

WD have such a range (and sales jargon) its a pain to differentiate when you are looking for something thats sole purpose is going to be to clone another HDD of personal files.
And likely spend a fair amount of time powered down, spinning up should be one of the most stressful processes for a HDD? its likely it will be doing it more than the computer is switched on and off (being entirely SSD on programs and workflow now).

Its not my fault I am grumpy, you try having a porcelain todger that's always hard! 

48 minutes ago, The Knome said:

HSGT I have never heard of until now, but will add them to the list of looking at. 

hgst is hitachi

Spoiler

toshiba.. very bad experience on me

recommended drive would be.. WD

i still have my WD 80GB IDE.. still in good condition :D

On 19.04.2016 г. at 4:47 PM, The Knome said:

~snip~

As @ZetZet explained, you may have heard about HGST as Hitachi. :) You can check the company's website for more info. 

If you need help with any of WD's drives and their specific design, purpose, advantages and disadvantages - feel free to PM me or simply post here and will be more than happy to help with whatever I can.

For the purpose that yo are describing, WD Blue may be the most suitable one so I'd check it out.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

I really don't trust Hitachi that much... The normally aim to lower power consumption over general performance.

However if you're low on budget, their products tend to be a little bit cheaper that the equivalent of other companies.

In my opinion, the best storage providers are WD and SanDisk. However, I'm willingly expecting a good fusion by the two of them sometime this year.

Edit: I'd also avoid Samsung and Toshiba. At least the Samsung low-end products.