Radeon HD 7950 Boost vs GTX 670

IsFyx
Go to solution Solved by Coaxialgamer,
Just now, IsFyx said:

That was what I was thinking too. However this says the GTX is better for gaming. And if the difference is marginal I would like the 3GBs as a selling point for the other system. I'm saving up for a 980ti (or 1080ti if i can hold my breath long enough), so it would be kinda temporary anyway...

If the 7950 is indeed superior, I guess it is more a question of how noticeable it is?

NEVER use gpuboss for anything more than comparing raw specs. They are unreliable and/or biased.

It will generally beat the 670 , thanks to AMD supporting their older cards better . But this difference should only be of a couple frames.

So I just bought two used computers:

For 350$ I got a i7 2700K with a MSI B75 mobo and a Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Boost (aka R9 280), and for 950$ I got a i5 3570K in an Asus Sabertooth Z77 mobo with a GTX 670. The 950$ also came with a Corsair H60 AIO cooler, 256GB SSD, a monitor, a bunch of peripherals and two xbox controllers. Both systems also came with cases, PSU's, HDD's, etc. But i wont bore you guys with that...

The plan is to take the best components for myself, and build the rest into another system that I can give to my gf or sell to someone else.

I'm thinking to go with the 2700K, H60 and Z77 mobo, rather than the newer 3570K on account of the hyper threading (unless someone makes a compelling case against that).

However, when it comes to the GPU's I'm kinda conflicted, do I go for the 3GB of VRAM on the AMD card, or should I sacrifice 1GB and go for the more powerful nVIDIA card?

I imagine there will be different answers for different scenarios, but my question to you guys is: what will yield most performance, more VRAM or a more powerful GPU?

Stuff I do:

• Photoshop
  • Lightroom
  • Premiere

Games I play:

• Elderscrolls Online
  • Skyrim
  • Heroes of the Storm
  • League of Legends
  • Minecraft (all the mods! yey)
  • Rust
  • Heartstone
  • Portal 2
  • CS:GO
  • Team Fortress 2
  • etc...

7950 Vs a 670 IMO the 7950 wil be better in most games today. the 3GB of memory is a nice bonus today and the performance overall should be better. 

7950 should offer better performance

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

2 minutes ago, David_K said:

7950 Vs a 670 IMO the 7950 wil be better in most games today. the 3GB of memory is a nice bonus today and the performance overall should be better. 

1 minute ago, Coaxialgamer said:

7950 should offer better performance

That was what I was thinking too. However this says the GTX is better for gaming. And if the difference is marginal I would like the 3GBs as a selling point for the other system. I'm saving up for a 980ti (or 1080ti if i can hold my breath long enough), so it would be kinda temporary anyway...

If the 7950 is indeed superior, I guess it is more a question of how noticeable it is?

Just now, IsFyx said:

NEVER use gpuboss for anything more than comparing raw specs. They are unreliable and/or biased.

It will generally beat the 670 , thanks to AMD supporting their older cards better . But this difference should only be of a couple frames.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

the HD7950 (even the non boost) is as fast or faster than even the GTX 680 in most situations. Go with AMD.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

The 7950 is better and so is the 2700k

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •