GTX 970 overkill for 1080p?

mhonor

I was originally going to get an r9 380/X for my 1080p gaming rig, but I'm getting tempted by the sale prices on 970s recently. I probably don't need that much GPU though...  if I don't care about absolutely maxing out every brand new game, should I save my money?

Please no "wait for pascal/polaris" comments. I know.  

970 can run almost every game at 1080p with high to max settings unless its horribly optimized or your cpu is bottleknecking

R9 390 > GTX 970

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

It can now but with DX12 the 970 is actually getting matched by a 380X. The 390 is certainly a better value product

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 minute ago, Fulgrim said:

R9 390 > GTX 970

I heard otherwise, if you overclock the GTX 970, and the 390 is just a 290 with more VRAM. And assuming you're not trying to max GTA V or Shadow of Mordor, then you probably won't need the extra VRAM.

Just now, Maxwaehrens said:

I heard otherwise if you overclock the GTX 970, and the 390 is just a 290 with more VRAM. And assuming you're not trying to max GTA V or Shadow of Mordor, then you probably won't need the extra VRAM.

The 390 has a redesigned power-delivery enabling it to easily hit 1200 core - something no 290 ever did.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I would get an r9 390 but they are still pretty expensive, also I don't think I need that much power. 

3 minutes ago, Maxwaehrens said:

I heard otherwise, if you overclock the GTX 970, and the 390 is just a 290 with more VRAM. And assuming you're not trying to max GTA V or Shadow of Mordor, then you probably won't need the extra VRAM.

Because higher clock speed = better. Therefore, FX 9590 > 4790k.

7 minutes ago, mhonor said:

I was originally going to get an r9 380/X for my 1080p gaming rig, but I'm getting tempted by the sale prices on 970s recently. I probably don't need that much GPU though...  if I don't care about absolutely maxing out every brand new game, should I save my money?

Please no "wait for pascal/polaris" comments. I know.  

970 is kinda the minimum for 1080p these days, with games getting more and more demanding...

Nothing to see here ;)

13 minutes ago, Anand_Geforce said:

970 is kinda the minimum for 1080p these days, with games getting more and more demanding...

a 750TI is fine with 1080p lol you just need to know were to place your settings, i would however not go for it because something like a 960 or 380 will smash it to bitts 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

No it's not an overkill, for me it a 970 is a safe spot for 1080p gaming can mostly run all games with ease.

Spoiler

PC: CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X @ Curve optimzer -25,  Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black, Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix B500-F Gaming WiFi II, GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800XT @ Stock , RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16GB DDR4 3600Mhz CL18, HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB, SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | Team Group MP33 1TB NVME, Case: NZXT H7 Flow Black, PSU: NZXT C1200  I Peripherals: Keyboard: Ducky Shine 6 RGB Special Edition, Mouse: Razer Orochi V2, Headset: Philips SHP9500, Mousepad: Glorious Stealth Extended I Laptop: MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro CPU: i7-6700HQ@ 2.6ghz, GPU: GTX 1060, Memory: 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz, HDD: 1TB+128GB SSD

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

a 750TI is fine with 1080p lol you just need to know were to place your settings, i would however not go for it because something like a 960 or 380 will smash it to bitts 

Sorry - I meant maxing out on 1080p. Otherwise even the 750Ti will do good as you said. BTW, ain't 960s starting to struggle with 1080p?

Nothing to see here ;)

Just now, Anand_Geforce said:

Sorry - I meant maxing out on 1080p. Otherwise even the 750Ti will do good as you said. BTW, ain't 960s starting to struggle with 1080p?

the 2GB ones are the 4GB ones are still good as far as i know

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I'm using a 660 at the moment for 1080p. It still runs games like battliefield 4 really smooth, just with lower detail settings

If you have the option to get a high refresh rate monitor, do it.

Main PC CPU: i7 9700k CPU Cooler: NZXT x62 280mm Motherboard: MSI Z390 Carbon Gaming Pro AC GPU: EVGA GTX 3070 FTW3 RAM: Corsair 4x8gb 3200mhz SSD: 980 Pro 1TB, 2x 500gb Sata Case: NZXT S340 Black/Red PSU: EVGA Supernova G.2 750w 80+ Gold

29 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

It can now but with DX12 the 970 is actually getting matched by a 380X. The 390 is certainly a better value product

You can't generalize like that. It's only in 1 game - Hitman, and that's because it's optimized for AMD. When Nvidia cards were leading in Nvidia titles you criticized and hated on Nvidia. Now that AMD titles are using async, something Nvidia can't, I don't see you complaining. Obvious AMD bias. 

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

1 minute ago, Monarch said:

You can't generalize like that. It's only in 1 game - Hitman, and that's because it's optimized for AMD. When Nvidia cards were leading in Nvidia titles you criticized and hated on Nvidia. Now that AMD titles are using async, something Nvidia can't, I don't see you complaining. Obvious AMD bias. 

Hitman
Ashes
Tomb Raider

It's no longer 1 game - it's every game

2 minutes ago, Monarch said:

Async? Isn´t that the whole thing of DX12?

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

Hitman
Ashes
Tomb Raider

Could you provide a source for that? I can't find benchmarks for other 2 games atm, but 

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/ashes_of_singularity_directx_12_benchmark_ii_review,6.html

970 is clearly faster in AoS.

Also, you ignored the other part of my post. Why do you not criticize AMD for doing the same thing Nvidia was doing with GW? 

3 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Async? Isn´t that the whole thing of DX12?

The whole thing? DX12 is about enabling developers to utilize hardware features GPUs have. AMD GPUs happen to support async, while Nvidia GPUs don't. There's much more benefits of a low level API than just async.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

1 minute ago, Monarch said:

Could you provide a source for that? I can't find benchmarks for other 2 games atm, but 

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/ashes_of_singularity_directx_12_benchmark_ii_review,6.html

Also, you ignored the other part of my post. Why do you not criticize AMD for doing the same thing Nvidia was doing with GW? 

The whole thing? DX12 is about enabling developers to utilize hardware features GPUs have. AMD GPUs happen to support async, while Nvidia GPUs don't. There's much more benefits of a low level API than just async.

390X matching a 980 Ti and Fury beating it. Your point?

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

Hitman
Ashes
Tomb Raider

11 minutes ago, Monarch said:

Agree on DX 12 AMD run better ... but maybe this change in one or 2 months, this whole post here is more kind of fortune telling.

Maybe Hitman is AMD optimized but than Ashes and Tomb Raider, too .... Maybe it's because DirectX12 run (currently) better on AMD cards. 

2 minutes ago, Monarch said:

So wait, how is it AMD´s fault that Nvidia didn´t make their cards more hardware beefy?

17 minutes ago, Monarch said:

What the fuck does optimizing for AMD mean?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

8 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

390X matching a 980 Ti and Fury beating it. Your point?

Point #1: Your claim that the 380X is faster than the 970 is false.

Point #2: You are biased towards AMD for not condemning AMD for doing the same thing Nvidia was doing with GW which you were against.

6 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

So wait, how is it AMD´s fault that Nvidia didn´t make their cards more hardware beefy?

How is it Nvidia's fault that AMD cards are bad at tessellation? I'm talking about double standards here.