Building a PC for Everyday use and light gaming [CS:GO]. Should I pick the Intel Core i5 6500 or the Intel core i3 6100?

i5 6500 has a fantastic price to performance ratio.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

6500, therefore you won't be saying "damn if only I had 4 physical cores to perform this task much more efficient" or "damn my GPU is being limited by this 6300 in this particular game" in the future.

the extra $$ for the I5 6500 is an insurance policy against you wanting to upgrade later on

i5 6500 if you can afford it comfortably

though it depends

if you have to drop your gpu from a r9 380 to something like a 750ti, dont `-`

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 hour ago, DragonWingX24 said:

Everyone's saying i5-6500. It's a great choice but it's meant for more intensive games where it would really shine.

Though anyone can run CS:GO on a potato. If you're just going to be playing CS:GO, stick with the i3-6100. If you're going to upgrade, and going to be playing AAA titles, then go with an i5-6500.

I mean, I run CS:GO 120-200fps. w/ GTX 750 Ti and FX-6300. 

agreed, it really depends on what all he intends to play, anything can run CS:GO so it wouldn't be worth the extra money, but if he's gonna end up playing even something like Dark Souls 3, i would go for the i5. 

6 minutes ago, DragonWingX24 said:

exactly :D

i think everyone just generally says, "hey! that one works better overall so go for it!!" but don't consider the situation all too much.

The i3 6100 for CS:GO and light gaming. Sure a i5 would be better but you really aren't going to notice the difference between them in CS:GO and other "light" games.