GTX 770 with a 430W PSU

alexfsr

Hello,

I recently got a task to decrypt some files, but i need more gpu horsepower to use with programs like hashcat. I run the it on a server pc i built a little while ago with second hand parts that i got relatively cheap (Asus P6X58d Premium, Xeon X5650@4GHz, 12 GB RAM, 120gb SSD). I also had a 660 lying around and i threw it in, so i needed a power supply. I bought a Seasonic 430W Eco power supply, because i figured it's gonna be enough since i won't really be pushing the server a lot - i use to run servers for games and whatnot. Fast forward to my little task here, the 660 is kind of slow in compute performance. So a friend of mine who has a gtx 770 that he doesn't really use all that much agreed to swap gpus (660 for 770). The problem is, i don't know if the PSU i have is going to be able to power the 770 at 100% load. The cpu will be idling, so the gpu is the only real power consumer. But the psu doesn't have the 2 PCI-e power connectors i need to power the 770, so i'm thinking of using a 2xMolex to 6pin PCI-e adapter, but i don't know if the PSU is going to handle the AMPs. The card wants 42 amps 12v rail, and this power supply has 2 12V rails, 18 amps each, fora  total of 396 watts. The 770 will pull 250W at most (anandtech/tomshardware reviews), but i don't know how the power supply will handle it, if at all.

Is it safe to use this power supply with a Molex to Pci-e adapter to power the 770 continuously at full load for couple of days.

2 minutes ago, alexfsr said:

Hello,

I recently got a task to decrypt some files, but i need more gpu horsepower to use with programs like hashcat. I run the it on a server pc i built a little while ago with second hand parts that i got relatively cheap (Asus P6X58d Premium, Xeon X5650@4GHz, 12 GB RAM, 120gb SSD). I also had a 660 lying around and i threw it in, so i needed a power supply. I bought a Seasonic 430W Eco power supply, because i figured it's gonna be enough since i won't really be pushing the server a lot - i use to run servers for games and whatnot. Fast forward to my little task here, the 660 is kind of slow in compute performance. So a friend of mine who has a gtx 770 that he doesn't really use all that much agreed to swap gpus (660 for 770). The problem is, i don't know if the PSU i have is going to be able to power the 770 at 100% load. The cpu will be idling, so the gpu is the only real power consumer. But the psu doesn't have the 2 PCI-e power connectors i need to power the 770, so i'm thinking of using a 2xMolex to 6pin PCI-e adapter, but i don't know if the PSU is going to handle the AMPs. The card wants 42 amps 12v rail, and this power supply has 2 12V rails, 18 amps each, fora  total of 396 watts. The 770 will pull 250W at most (anandtech/tomshardware reviews), but i don't know how the power supply will handle it, if at all.

Is it safe to use this power supply with a Molex to Pci-e adapter to power the 770 continuously at full load for couple of days.

I used my 650 Ti with molex to PCI-e on a 300W power supply and it even said on websites that that wouldn't be possible but it was. You should be fine but go for a better power supply if you can. Though who am i to talk i'm using a 450W power supply for my i5 4690k and a GTX 970 xD.

Hope this helps :P

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

Just now, ProKeero said:

I used my 650 Ti with molex to PCI-e on a 300W power supply and it even said on websites that that wouldn't be possible but it was. You should be fine but go for a better power supply if you can. Though who am i to talk i'm using a 450W power supply for my i5 4690k and a GTX 970 xD.

Hope this helps :P

If it's not going to burst in flames, it works. :D

Just now, alexfsr said:

If it's not going to burst in flames, it works. :D

xD yes yes!

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

2 minutes ago, ProKeero said:

xD yes yes!

I'm going to try and pray that it stays in one piece. Fingers crossed.

A 770 should be fine on a 430W PSU with the right power cables.

I don't like moles to PCIe adapters, they aren't reliable,  get a good new PSU with the right power connectors, I recommend the EVGA G2, GS or GQ,  anything from Seasonic or XFX. 

Just now, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I don't like moles to PCIe adapters, they aren't reliable,  get a good new PSU with the right power connectors, I recommend the EVGA G2, GS or GQ,  anything from Seasonic or XFX. 

I ran my 650 Ti of the molex to PCI-e for 1 and a half years with no issues. Maybe i just got lucky?

1 minute ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

they aren't reliable

what kinds of risks do you run when connecting a gpu with a molex-pcie? is voltage regulation plain worse?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

I figured that too, but i can't afford to spend money on that right now, sadly.

Considering a 770 uses 200-220W and 120W for the rest of the system - that's around 320-340W. I'd be worried honestly since most 430W PSUs have 380W on the +12V rail

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

10 minutes ago, ProKeero said:

I ran my 650 Ti of the molex to PCI-e for 1 and a half years with no issues. Maybe i just got lucky?

A 650ti doesn’t use much power though. 

9 minutes ago, alexfsr said:

I figured that too, but i can't afford to spend money on that right now, sadly.

When you buy a new PSU,  keep in mind that a good ones have warranties of 10+ years so you can use them for more than 10 years so you don't need to cheap out.

9 minutes ago, Energycore said:

what kinds of risks do you run when connecting a gpu with a molex-pcie? is voltage regulation plain worse?

A fire. 

Please elaborate.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Please elaborate.

Crap PSU + 100% load = house fire.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Just now, Energycore said:

Please elaborate.

Thin wire and most points of failure. 

12 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Crap PSU + 100% load = house fire.

I know that. And also that generally good PSUs have the right number of PCI-E connectors for their rated wattage. But I was wondering about the risks associated with using molex to pci-e adapters, not crappy PSUs.

14 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Thin wire and most points of failure.

That makes more sense.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

I know that. And also that generally good PSUs have the right number of PCI-E connectors for their rated wattage. But I was wondering about the risks associated with using molex to pci-e adapters, not crappy PSUs.

That makes more sense.

Molex are rated for 45W - 8-pins for 150W

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

Molex are rated for 45W - 8-pins for 150W

But the molex adapters go 2 molex (90W) to 1 6-pin (75W). Is that wrong?

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

But the molex adapters go 2 molex (90W) to 1 6-pin (75W). Is that wrong?

That is less dangerous but it's still not a great solution. Ran something similar for a year then the PSU started heating up a LOT