Using a Celeron for gaming? (VIDEO)

Greetings.

Normally, I'd write some sort of preamble or description before a question, but this video says it all and I encourage you to watch it.

The YouTuber in question appears to experience little to no bottlenecking with a Radeon HD 7950 playing at 1080p, and the chip produces some results that, frankly, astounded me. As someone in constant pursuit of the best possible value I can find, this intrigued me.

Considering the substantial upgrade path on the LGA 1150 platform, are Celeron CPUs- specifically, the $35 Haswell Celeron G1840- suitable for budget gaming rigs?

What exactly is the difference between this and the G3258? By the way I like this guy's videos :D 

Haha, that video is from a guy on our forum here, can't remember his profile. I'll tag him when I find him in my friend's list.

That said, I'd still never buy a Celeron for gaming. I'd jump to a G3258 and eventually to an i5, maybe start with an i3, but a Celeron just doesn't seem too ideal.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, TheCovertCamper said:

What exactly is the difference between this and the G3258? By the way I like this guy's videos :D 

The Celerons are the lowest-binned CPUs on Intel's lineup. Compared to the G3258, it has a lower stock clock speed, and can't be overclocked. As a result, it also doesn't ship with the nicer stock cooler that you get with the Pentium G3258.

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

The Celerons are the lowest-binned CPUs on Intel's lineup. Compared to the G3258, it has a lower stock clock speed, and can't be overclocked. As a result, it also doesn't ship with the nicer stock cooler that you get with the Pentium G3258.

Thanks for the information, I was always curios as to that.

2 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Haha, that video is from a guy on our forum here, can't remember his profile. I'll tag him when I find him in my friend's list.

That said, I'd still never buy a Celeron for gaming. I'd jump to a G3258 and eventually to an i5, maybe start with an i3, but a Celeron just doesn't seem too ideal.

I'm a fan of his videos. It'd be great if you could shoot me a heads-up when you find him.

Honestly, if you're looking to shell out a little more for an i5 soon, it makes sense to get this as a temporary CPU until you can. In my opinion, cheaper is always better for a temporary placeholder chip, especially when it can still perform well enough.

I'm a fan of his videos. It'd be great if you could shoot me a heads-up when you find him.

Honestly, if you're looking to shell out a little more for an i5 soon, it makes sense to get this as a temporary CPU until you can. In my opinion, cheaper is always better for a temporary placeholder chip, especially when it can still perform well enough.

Here's his profile: https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/53289-onotech/

@ONOTech

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I actually found his channel from a review he posted on here lol, but I forget his profile name.

Just now, TheCovertCamper said:

I actually found his channel from a review he posted on here lol, but I forget his profile name.

He hasn't been active since January :/

@STRMfrmXMN if I start going for the lowest-end EVGA PSUs (cringeworthy at higher loads) in my builds as opposed to the 350w Seasonic SSP-RT units, I can manage something like this.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Celeron G1840 2.8GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Biostar B85MG Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($37.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($26.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($34.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R7 360 2GB Core Edition Video Card  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Xion XON-310_BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($22.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($14.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $257.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-13 00:49 EDT-0400

@ONOTech- You're about half a decade younger than I thought you were.

At any rate, if you do see this, know that your content is awesome, informative, and has appreciably high production quality. I look forward to seeing a lot more of it.

THIS is really an eye opener. Thanks for the info @Aereldor!

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

9 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

He hasn't been active since January :/

He just created a topic about shaving not four hours ago. I think that might be a bug with the forum counter.

Just now, Shahnewaz said:

THIS is really an eye opener. Thanks for the info @Aereldor!

I know, right?! It really does revolutionize my conceptions of the extreme value price bracket, and makes it entirely possible to have a perfectly decent 1080p gaming experience at about $250-300.