Need new HDD to replace failed NAS drive

nims0c

It seems one of the drives in my NAS failed. It's a 2 TB Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT1. NAS is set up in RAID 1.

Do I need to buy a drive of similar RPM, capacity, etc or can it be anything? Any recommended drives?

In the meantime, can I connect the healthy drive by SATA directly to my computer to access the files?

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

The exact same drive as the others for numerous reasons

It can be anything, although my recommendation would be a 2TB WD Red. 

4 minutes ago, icey said:

The exact same drive as the others for numerous reasons

And what are these numerous reasons exactly? 

There's no downside to using a different drive other than that the array will be limited to the capacity/speed of the smallest/slowest drive. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Depends on the NAS of course, but "anything" will generally work so long as the drive is otherwise compatible with the NAS.  You can even use a larger capacity drive usually to replace an older failed smaller capacity one.

HGST > * pretty much.  Toshiba if you have to.  I shy away from WD and Seagate although the latter seems to have a drastically improved record lately.

15 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

It can be anything, although my recommendation would be a 2TB WD Red. 

And what are these numerous reasons exactly? 

There's no downside to using a different drive other than that the array will be limited to the capacity/speed of the smallest/slowest drive. 

Plenty of studies show raids with different seek / read / write operate inefficiently compared to matched raids.

3 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

Depends on the NAS of course, but "anything" will generally work so long as the drive is otherwise compatible with the NAS.  You can even use a larger capacity drive usually to replace an older failed smaller capacity one.

HGST > * pretty much.  Toshiba if you have to.  I shy away from WD and Seagate although the latter seems to have a drastically improved record lately.

Just FYI - WD Reds have the best reliability across the board. Not sure why you'd exclude them. 

5 minutes ago, icey said:

Just FYI - WD Reds have the best reliability across the board. Not sure why you'd exclude them. 

I haven't seen a shred of evidence to that effect (the Backblaze people seem to show HGST consistently outguns the rest on in-service reliability).  But don't really want to start a whole "HDD reliability" thread (I'm sure there's one around somewhere, full of everyone's anecdotes!).  Ironically HGST is owned by WDC but operated as a completely separate engineering/manufacturing group, so its not like they lose money if you choose HGST instead of WD-branded drives.

I guess Datacenters use them for a laugh (including the one I work for)

RE Drives in some racks, Reds in the others.

6 hours ago, nims0c said:

~snip~

Hey nims0c :)

My two cents on this: It is recommended to have a similar drive (capacity, rpm, model, firmware) replacing the failed drive as any difference between the drives increases the risks of data corruption, drive dropouts and potentially data loss. 

Differences between the drives can cause timing or synchronization errors. Besides that, the controller itself might decide that something is odd with either of the drives due to some difference in performance and drop either of them presuming its going bad. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

11 hours ago, icey said:

-snip-

11 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

-snip-

11 hours ago, Mark77 said:

-snip-

4 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

-snip-

Looks like the same drive is quite pricey at $195 on Newegg.ca. Must be a discontinued model.

Can I buy two new 1 TB HDDs and clone the healthy 2 TB to one and then build the RAID array? I don't really think my family was using anywhere close to 2 TB so it would save some money.

Also, as I said in the OP can I connect the healthy drive directly by SATA in the meantime to access files?

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

22 hours ago, nims0c said:

~snip~

In order to clone the drive you would need a 2TB volume. If you have less than 1TB of data you may be able to find a software that will allow you to clone your old drive to a smaller one, but that involves quite a lot of risks of data loss since cloning is a bit-by-bit process. I would recommend to defrag the drive first so you are sure all the data is stored before the 1TB mark on the platters. 

Regarding the question about reading the drive, It would really depend on a few things like the type of RAID, the controller itself, the file format of the drive, etc. I wouldn't think you would read them by simply plugging the drive in your system since NAS devices use their own RAID controller and their own file system and partition table. Your best bet would be adding a second 2TB drive to that system and letting it rebuild itself.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/