can you set which pcie lanes to use a display?

hi so i have a question. im planning on buying this board EVGA X58 FTW3 i noticed that it doesnt have any sort of onboard video. so i was wondering how would you install gpu drivers for your video card. i had my fair share of cards that would show display in the bios and splash screen but when they got to loading windows they wouldnt be able to display anything because it would have an out of range error. so i was wondering how the hell would you install graphics drivers for a gpu on this board. i noticed that this board has 3 pcie x16 slots so i was wondering if maybe you can somehow set it to display on a certain lane and have the card that you want to install drivers on not display anything then after you manage to install drivers for it you pull out the test card and change it back to display at said lanes. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Depends on the CPU. Keep in mind that most if not all Intel CPU's have an integrated GPU built in. Also, in many cases Windows should have default drivers it will use to get you up and running. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

The video drivers should work for your motherboard no matter what PCI slot your GPU is in. The video drivers you'll get from either Nvidia or AMD.

16 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

The video drivers should work for your motherboard no matter what PCI slot your GPU is in. The video drivers you'll get from either Nvidia or AMD.

I know in theory it should work but I had a nvidia 8800 gt and that had a out of range thing but luckily I had onboard graphics to save my ass and also when I upgraded from the 8800 gt to the Quadro fx 3800 it had an out of range error as well and again the onboard graphics saved my ass again. So is there some settings to configure what gpu is used for display and which one just idles? 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

To my understanding No. You might check the motherboard manual and see if there is a setting, or maybe it pulls from the first PCI express slot. You can try to slipstream your windows installer. I dont remember what software I used, but I do know you can basically create a Windows ISO with drivers included. But it also comes down to the version of Windows you use. I have never had that error come up on my end. Windows XP SP2 on up has had the largest driver database known to man included. 

If it were me. Id install my Graphics card in the first PCI express x16 slot, the one closes to the CPU. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

15 hours ago, ThomasD said:

What chip are you putting in that Mobo?

i was going to do an x58 x5650 build but then i cant find a board that is reasonably priced so im just going to upgrade my current build's processor from the phenom x4 9750 to the phenom ii x6 1055t