r9 270x VS GTX 960

ImGodz
Go to solution Solved by Manswaggle,
1 minute ago, ImGodz said:

okay, thank you you are really helpful. I will check this out. now I know a bit more where to go. but one last question. will there be a really big difference with an 290x for example or will it be still not enough good to run every game at very high at 60 fps?

I believe in The Witcher 3, I went from about 40ish FPS on medium settings to 50FPS on high settings. There aren't many games I can't max out anymore, GTA5 I can pretty much run maxed except for a few things, like MSAAx8 or whatever it is.
Diablo 3, GTA5, Witcher 3, Smite, Metal Gear Solid 5, Naruto UNS4 all run at max settings very well. I did turn down some things that cost performance without really helping anything.  Metal Gear 5 ran 60FPS the entire time I'm pretty sure with max everything, motion blur/FoD turned off.

Hi, I bought an asus geforce gtx 960 strix 4gb and I already have a radeon r9 270x 2gb in my computer. Should I refund my gtx 960 and stay with my r9 270x? or this will be a upgrade that I will be happy with?

Please help me I don't know what to do! 

It is an upgrade, not a very significant one though, not worth the money imo. I would refund the 960 and wait for the next gen GPUs that release this year.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

ok thx a lot, do you think I could buy a new r9 270x to do a crossfire ? would it be significant?

Yeah I know it's not the absolute best but I did find avideo for you that seems pretty useful.

ok thx a lot, do you think I could buy a new r9 270x to do a crossfire ? would it be significant?

Better to sell the 270X and buy a more powerful single GPU - a used 290 maybe?

3 hours ago, Sakkura said:

Better to sell the 270X and buy a more powerful single GPU - a used 290 maybe?

how much is an 290 in can$ ? because I can't spend over 350$ + the money I make with the 270x

how much is an 290 in can$ ? because I can't spend over 350$ + the money I make with the 270x

Well, depends on what you can find used in your area. The updated version, the 390, costs $420ish new, so presumably a used 290 wouldn't be above $300.

6 minutes ago, ImGodz said:

I would just keep the 270 for now till you get more money. An R9 280X would be an alright upgrade, but not much. For around $450CAD, you can get an R9 390.

3 hours ago, Sakkura said:

Well, depends on what you can find used in your area. The updated version, the 390, costs $420ish new, so presumably a used 290 wouldn't be above $300.

are you talking in US$ ? because the canadien $ is only 0.77US$ so it would be really more expensive... if you are talking in us then what do you think about the 280x or the GTX 970? worth it?

I sold my 270x last year for about $150(great condition and it could OC like a boss), and bought a 290 for $250. Worked out great, better than trying to deal with SLI. Just make sure you got the PSU, which isn't really that hard to do nowadays. 

EDIT: USD Prices.

CPU: R7 1700 @ 3.875GHz/1.335v , GPU: Fury Nitro.

3 hours ago, Manswaggle said:

I sold my 270x last year for about $150(great condition and it could OC like a boss), and bought a 290 for $250. Worked out great, better than trying to deal with SLI. Just make sure you got the PSU, which isn't really that hard to do nowadays. 

EDIT: USD Prices.

what is PSU? sorry i don't know all the english terms haha

4 minutes ago, ImGodz said:

what is PSU? sorry i don't know all the english terms haha

Power supply, has all the cords and such coming out of it to everything else. I have a 750 watt for 'future proofing', but that's pretty overkill. 500 watts is probably good enough for what most people are doing, but if you do SLI/crossfire, I'd jump to 600 watts maybe. @STRMfrmXMN could probably tell you better than I could about how much power you'd need for a 290/270 crossfire, etc.

Power supply, has all the cords and such coming out of it to everything else. I have a 750 watt for 'future proofing', but that's pretty overkill. 500 watts is probably good enough for what most people are doing, but if you do SLI/crossfire, I'd jump to 600 watts maybe. @STRMfrmXMN could probably tell you better than I could about how much power you'd need for a 290/270 crossfire, etc.

yea, I have a 750 watt too, but I fund out that it take 1000w to run two r9 270x, so I think I will try something else. you do you think I should go with gtx? I heard it was a bit better.

2 minutes ago, ImGodz said:

yea, I have a 750 watt too, but I fund out that it take 1000w to run two r9 270x, so I think I will try something else. you do you think I should go with gtx? I heard it was a bit better.

750 watt is plenty to Crossfire 270x, I believe a 500watt could successfully run two 270X crossfired while bitmining/gaming. 750 would actually do two 290 crossfire'd for gaming, though maybe a bit close. Two 290s is about 500-600 watts together.

I personally don't see any reason to get a 960 if you already have a 270x, as they're pretty close in gaming and with all the DX12 hype, people claim AMD is better anyway(for DX12). I'm team red, but I'm not going to fanboy them and say they're the greatest ever. If you're going nVidia, 970 is pretty close to a 290.

So. 970 and 290 are pretty close together; you can pick whichever is cheaper. I believe at 1080p the 970 can come out ahead, but again, DX12 seems to favor AMD, but I'm not sure how long that'll last.

If you can, I'd wait to see what new AMD cards come out, hopefully soon, and get a price drop on the 200 series cards.

750 watt is plenty to Crossfire 270x, I believe a 500watt could successfully run two 270X crossfired while bitmining/gaming. 750 would actually do two 290 crossfire'd for gaming, though maybe a bit close. Two 290s is about 500-600 watts together.

I personally don't see any reason to get a 960 if you already have a 270x, as they're pretty close in gaming and with all the DX12 hype, people claim AMD is better anyway(for DX12). I'm team red, but I'm not going to fanboy them and say they're the greatest ever. If you're going nVidia, 970 is pretty close to a 290.

So. 970 and 290 are pretty close together; you can pick whichever is cheaper. I believe at 1080p the 970 can come out ahead, but again, DX12 seems to favor AMD, but I'm not sure how long that'll last.

If you can, I'd wait to see what new AMD cards come out, hopefully soon, and get a price drop on the 200 series cards.

okay, thank you you are really helpful. I will check this out. now I know a bit more where to go. but one last question. will there be a really big difference with an 290x for example or will it be still not enough good to run every game at very high at 60 fps?

and I can see that the gtx 970 are 340$ the same price I paid for my gtx 960 on the same website. (never mind I was on the US website)

I believe in The Witcher 3, I went from about 40ish FPS on medium settings to 50FPS on high settings. There aren't many games I can't max out anymore, GTA5 I can pretty much run maxed except for a few things, like MSAAx8 or whatever it is.
Diablo 3, GTA5, Witcher 3, Smite, Metal Gear Solid 5, Naruto UNS4 all run at max settings very well. I did turn down some things that cost performance without really helping anything.  Metal Gear 5 ran 60FPS the entire time I'm pretty sure with max everything, motion blur/FoD turned off.

Shadows of Mordor can run full blast, too. Ashes of the Singularity runs pretty good except in huge fights where it gets down to into the 30s, but it is pretty intense on the GPU. It's probably the most strenuous game I've played in a long time, including Witcher 3 and MGSV. 

okay, thanks a lot for the information I appreciate your help a lot! 

Also, you can check the 3D mark topic and search for 270x and then search for 290/290X results.

Also, you can check the 3D mark topic and search for 270x and then search for 290/290X results.

okay I will do that thx.