Is my PWS/PSU my problem??

First post, hope im in the right  section.

ASUS M5A97 r2.0, FX-4300, MSI GTX 970 100ME, Win10, 650watt unknown PWS, 5 case fans, dual fan CPU cooler.

I added the GPU recently as a step toward upgrading. MB and CPU is next. But the computer has started just randomly shutting off during games. It will not power back up untill I unplug it, cycle the PWS power switch and plug it back in. I have run temp monitoring softwares to see if I was having a temp. issue, but GPU never gets over 70 and CPU over 55. According to all the calculators the 650 PWS should be plenty, but I have no idea what brand it is, came with a kit. The system has been running about three years. I am guessing its the PWS but looking for any input on other possibilities. I have a new PWS on the way.

TIA

4 minutes ago, Concealed_45 said:

ASUS M5A97 r2.0, FX-4300, MSI GTX 970 100ME, Win10, 650watt unknown PWS, 5 case fans, dual fan CPU cooler.

I added the GPU recently as a step toward upgrading. MB and CPU is next. But the computer has started just randomly shutting off during games. It will not power back up untill I unplug it, cycle the PWS power switch and plug it back in. I have run temp monitoring softwares to see if I was having a temp. issue, but GPU never gets over 70 and CPU over 55. According to all the calculators the 650 PWS should be plenty, but I have no idea what brand it is, came with a kit. The system has been running about three years. I am guessing its the PWS but looking for any input on other possibilities. I have a new PWS on the way.

TIA

uhhh... What's a PWS?

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

If you have a multimeter, probe the 12V rails when the PC is under load. If it drops too much then that would explain it.

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?

47 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

uhhh... What's a PWS?

Power Supply/PSU/PWS....most call them PWS around here, lol

16 minutes ago, Huntsman said:

If you have a multimeter, probe the 12V rails when the PC is under load. If it drops too much then that would explain it.

Im not sure how or where to do that. I have a multimeter, would I be looking for voltage or amperage? and can I just probe one of the extra Molex connectors?

Voltage. NEVER NEVER probe for amperage. Probe between yellow and black wire. That's 12V. Red is 5V and orange is 3.3V.

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?

38 minutes ago, Huntsman said:

Voltage. NEVER NEVER probe for amperage. Probe between yellow and black wire. That's 12V. Red is 5V and orange is 3.3V.

I get 12.02v at idle on Win10 desktop. When running Prime95 along with MSI Kombuster it drops to 11.93v

what about the other rails?

4 minutes ago, Huntsman said:

what about the other rails?

I dont know how to tell what the different rails are or where to check them. I probed the cable with the molex connectors that has only a couple fans running from it.

Probe between the red wire and black then the orange and black under load conditions. This is to test if your PSU is faulty. Although this is only a basic test, a more comprehensive test is done using a load box and DCPA.

5V is slightly high but otherwise normal. The next step is to probe the same voltage rails using oscilloscope if you could get your hands on one. Look for large voltage ripples.

Okay, thank you for the help. I doubt if i can get an oscilloscope though, or anyone who knows how to use it if i did. I guess if the new power supply doesnt help i will have to accelerate my schedule on upgrading the MB and CPU. 

3 hours ago, Huntsman said:

Nice profile pic.

4 hours ago, Concealed_45 said:

No-name PSU? Replace it my friend. Check out the PSU whitelist in my sig.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

On 4/12/2016 at 6:04 PM, STRMfrmXMN said:

Nice profile pic.

No-name PSU? Replace it my friend. Check out the PSU whitelist in my sig.

I found it was a kingwin when i removed it, replaced with a EVGA, so far so good, but i havent run it enough to be sure yet.